What Case Do You Have?

agsnowdon

Hi

I have a just got all the conponents for a pc and my motherboard size is ATX 12" x 10 " and all I need now is a case to put them in.

So I'm after some recomendations for a case.

If you guys and girls could post a link to a case you recomend that would be cool!

My question about PSU is I have looked on a few sites and have seen some cases I like, but none state how many pins the PSU has. My MB has 24 pins do most PSU's come with 24 or 20 pins? if I brought a case with 20 pins could I just use one of these covertors so the PSU would work for my MB

Firefox has replied concerning the PSU question but any other views are welcome.

Thanks for all your help

Ash

Most of the higher end cases come without power supply because customers would like to make their own decision on this item. I have a CoolerMaster Centuriun 530 case with a CoolerMaster 450W Realpower power supply. Some of the decisions will be based on how many drive slots you need (5.25 & 3.5), front/side accessible USB/Firewire/Audio ports, personal esthetics (how sexy do you want it.) :o

It would not be advisible to get a 20-pin supply and add a 24-pin adapter. Two issues, first is that the mainboard probably will also need a 4-pin (2x2) powersupply connection and the 24-pin supplies will most likely have it - the 20 pin supply less likely. Splitting the power with a 20-24 pin adapter can cause instability by improper distribution of the power and also the power supply may not handle the required current on those lines.

Ordering the power supply separately is straight forward and the specs will (should) specify the power pin configuration that it has.

You can see some cases here: http://www.jedicool.com/list.php?cate=1

Power supplies: http://www.jedicool.com/list.php?cate=6

My system: http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/construction/

Edited by tywais

I always took the cheapest case I can get. Never had any problems with that, always place for a second/third fan. I don´t care, f it is not that perfect inside, as I don`t change the inside of my computer every day. Just have a look if you can add 1 more fan and if the airflow makes sense.

But 2 times the power supply died (first the fan of it, and than it is a matter of minutes/hours till it burns out). On one I replaced the fan the other was overheated but still working but I did not use it anymore.

So I would focus on the power supply, maybe a stronger one than necessary helps if used in unairconditioned rooms (maybe get less hot???).

By the way I have the bad habit the unused screws inside. Next time someone puts the computer somewhere else the screws might stay not on the bottom anymore instead somewhere between case and motherboard and make a shortcut somewhere. So don´t that.

Hi

I have a just got all the conponents for a pc and my motherboard size is ATX 12" x 10 " and all I need now is a case to put them in.

So I'm after some recomendations for a case.

If you guys and girls could post a link to a case you recomend that would be cool!

My question about PSU is I have looked on a few sites and have seen some cases I like, but none state how many pins the PSU has. My MB has 24 pins do most PSU's come with 24 or 20 pins? if I brought a case with 20 pins could I just use one of these covertors so the PSU would work for my MB

Firefox has replied concerning the PSU question but any other views are welcome.

Thanks for all your help

Ash

I have been looking around the net and have seen this.

As my budget isn't very high and this is my first ever desktop pc I have come up with this it looks ok bit snazy for a first case and comes with a PSU only thing it dosen't say will the PSU have 24 pins as my MB is a 24 pin anyone have any ideas if it will.

If I do go for this case in 6 months or so I could always buy a decent PSU.

Any input

A well designed case will do wonders for cooling and reliability. An aluminum case will be very light. This is my case:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chas...r/va8000swa.asp

It's big and expensive, but I actually need it since I use a lot of hard drives (I have 9 now).

Basically you get what you pay for. I've had cheap power supplies (the ones that come with the case) fail after a year of use. You can go ahead and get that case now, but you might end up having to buy a new PSU later. If you're getting a budget system without power hungry components (dual core, high end graphics) then you need the extra power of a high end power supply (but they also have reliability).

A well designed case will do wonders for cooling and reliability. An aluminum case will be very light. This is my case:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chas...r/va8000swa.asp

It's big and expensive, but I actually need it since I use a lot of hard drives (I have 9 now).

Basically you get what you pay for. I've had cheap power supplies (the ones that come with the case) fail after a year of use. You can go ahead and get that case now, but you might end up having to buy a new PSU later. If you're getting a budget system without power hungry components (dual core, high end graphics) then you need the extra power of a high end power supply (but they also have reliability).

Nice case Firefox, my system consists of ...

Motherboard - ASUS A8N-5X Socket 939

CPU - Athlon 64 3000

Graphics Card - PCI Express 256MB + DVI Port EN6200TC128

RAM - 512 x 2 Kingston DDR 400

Hard Drive - Seagate 80GB SATA II

Combo Drive - CDRW/DVD-ROM

Not exactly the fastest pc around but all i need it for is lots of downloading, surfing and burning dvds cds.

So I think the PSU that come with it should do the job and if t last a year then bonus i'll buy a decent one once its died.

Still not sure if its a 24 pin PSU?

I have a Cooler Master case with a good quality power supply and its worth the extra money.

The PC with a 3 Ghz P4 makes less noise than the old 1200 baht cases wich are rusting within a year and with power supplies wich also fail, cheap chinese crap.

The Coolermaster case has a dust filter and dust wich attracts water causes alot of defects in electronics.

Here where I live close to the sea is regular cleaning of all electronics special those equiped with ventilators a must or corrosion will cause shortcuts and defects.

24 pin is the current standard, and 20-pin only motherboards are phasing out. Therefore the PSU on that case should be 24-pin.

The specs you have aren't demanding on the PSU, so yes, it's sufficient.

Just to confirm the case i mentioned has a 24 pin psu with 4 pins being able to peel away for older 20 pin MB

PCI express support is on the motherboard, not the PSU. The only problem you will find is when you (again) use a high-end VGA card, which will require its own special "square" power lead from the PSU. A cheapo PSU, even if it did have one of these, wouldn't be up to the task anyways, and you don't have a high-end card that needs it.

PCI express support is on the motherboard, not the PSU. The only problem you will find is when you (again) use a high-end VGA card, which will require its own special "square" power lead from the PSU. A cheapo PSU, even if it did have one of these, wouldn't be up to the task anyways, and you don't have a high-end card that needs it.

Thanks for that advice.

My VGA dosen't need an extra power source.

I was being a bit missleading my question is will the case have the right opening at the bcak for my PCI Express Card. In the specs it says " Standard ATX 7 slots " not sure what this reffers to?

So do you think my VGA will fit the opening at the back of the case?

Thanks for all your help so far. :o

Reason I ask is I asked the same q's to the online susport and he said it depends what VGA I have, maybe he got the wrong end of the stick?

My case is also a 7-slot and similar in size to the one you show. I also have a large PCI-Express Video card due to it's passive, rotatable heat sink and it has zero problems fitting in so I'm certain there will be no problem with yours.

Reason I ask is I asked the same q's to the online susport and he said it depends what VGA I have, maybe he got the wrong end of the stick?

My case is also a 7-slot and similar in size to the one you show. I also have a large PCI-Express Video card due to it's passive, rotatable heat sink and it has zero problems fitting in so I'm certain there will be no problem with yours.

Thanks for your help.

My VGA isn't the biggest so now with TV's help again my worries are gone.

Thanks to all for your help still any input welcome!!