Thai editorial: Where to draw the line for foreign visitors

webfact

When living in Thailand and watching tourists get suckered day in and day out, you say nothing as it is none of your business. Now this fussy person moans about dirty toilets, aired panties and chairs on the beach. Look forward to the day when the surrounding nations become more competitive . Coups, the constant whining, the rip offs just show how petty some are in the Kingdom.

Been to Vietnam or Cambodia lately? More friendly to foreigners now.. THAILAND you have lost it. The zenith of your tourism has passed and now Thaialnd will start to go down and mainly because the shortage of money has aided the seeking of new and better valued holiday destinations

Maybe they make experimental rules and regulations now sometimes, but I can see a clear line in it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thailand's not only got a problem with Farangs in this country, Thailand's also got an image problem in Farang mass media, at least in the "Yellow Press"

Pattaya's top for that, there's still that image in Europe that Pattaya's the biggest brothel in the world. No use to deny it, this myth is still there. And many young women from the Issan suffer from that. If they want to visit their boyfriends in a country like Germany, they get hustled by German bureaucrats with so much hidden suspicion that some of them yell at the counter of German embassy "I am NOT a prostitute!"

Then you have these Farangs in Thailand that treat Thai women like sex monkeys. And when back home, they tell everyone that ALL massage and bar girls in Pattsya are in fact prostitutes who rip off the poor innocent Farangs.

It would be a good idea to refuse passports from Farangs that live on welfare and perhaps never worked in their lives.

I do not know the full extent of your banter, but what you are saying certainly has been my observation... about Pattaya and a lot of Thais to Farrangs, Thais SELL themselves to us. I am gay and believe me, the girls in most places are and have been very forceful with offers of sex. So what you say that Europeans view them as such? The cap fits in this case and it goes back a thousand years. Google it. The Chinese Junks used to call in for comfort...

OpEd:

"The outrage expressed by tourists over a ban on beach chairs in Phuket recently showed that visitors are less willing to compromise. Local police have faced resistance from tourists since the rule came into effect on February 12. Some visitors even said they would never visit the resort again in protest against the removal of their favourite beach perches."

In the US, we call this 'voting with our feet'. Regulations were needed to rein in opportunistic and aggressive beach vendors; Not to impose unrealistic barriers on the enjoyment of visitors. I suggest the TAT look at how other countries, which make revenues from their beaches, regulate their beaches. I think you'll find it much less draconian world-wide then the regulation imposed by the Phuket authorities.

Personally, I wouldn't go to Phuket if you gave me a free airline ticket and a night at at hotel. And nowadays, it sounds like many Western tourists are following suit. 'Voting with their feet." They will go where they feel welcome. Thailand, or at least Phuket, isn't making foreigners beach-goers feel welcome.

Edited by connda

You'd think that tourist revenue and 30 years of doing it would leave Thailand with some understanding and knowledge of how to look after its guests so they come back.

Guess the new generation in charge are even dumber than the last..... if thats possible whistling.gif

Thai people are very good at looking after the majority of tourists, which just happen to be...Thai.. Don't underestimate the importance of domestic tourism. There are 64 million Thais and they all love to go bai Tiaw!! Many posters here arrogantly assume that Western Tourists are the most important and that Tourism, itself, is the main industry in Thailand. Rubber, Rice, concrete , electrical goods, clothes etc are the main industries. Tourism is more important in terms of global reputation...

Domestic tourism revenue represents about 20% of the total. And per person, Western tourists spend the most. Further, tourism contributes about 20% to the Thai economy. So, you are wrong on every count. Now, put on your dunce hat and go and sit in the corner.

• Like 1

You'd think that tourist revenue and 30 years of doing it would leave Thailand with some understanding and knowledge of how to look after its guests so they come back.

Guess the new generation in charge are even dumber than the last..... if thats possible whistling.gif

Thai people are very good at looking after the majority of tourists, which just happen to be...Thai.. Don't underestimate the importance of domestic tourism. There are 64 million Thais and they all love to go bai Tiaw!! Many posters here arrogantly assume that Western Tourists are the most important and that Tourism, itself, is the main industry in Thailand. Rubber, Rice, concrete , electrical goods, clothes etc are the main industries. Tourism is more important in terms of global reputation...

Nope, domestic tourism makes up just 20% of the total. And tourism is the biggest individual part of the Thai economy. So you are WRONG, WRONG and WRONG. Now, go and put on your DUNCE hat and sit in the corner.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with the first response. Respect is not automatic it needs to be mutual or eventually there isn't any. I think the expectation is another thing. With all the monkey business that goes on in Thailand, it's probably pretty low. Unfortunately, some of the worst examples of local nationals behaviour is on show in the tourist areas and many of the tourists that would otherwise be better behaved normalise the the lowest common denominator.

It's an ugly thing if you can't take your own chair to a public beach. The dissociation that needs to be employed for some people is too much to bear.

High-profile cases of tourist misbehaviour pose a dilemma for Thailand!

What is a more pressing dilemma for Thai tourism...is the gross misbehavior of Thai citizens toward tourists...

The lack of official concern and prosecution of Thai wrongdoing against tourists is the bigger threat to tourism...

Instead of waiting for some newbie tourist to throw down a cigarette butt so the police can shake him down, give him an on the spot urine test, scare the mess out of him and charge him a few thousand baht on the spot...the police should be concentrating on Thai thieves...which is an integral part to the Thai business culture...

Nope, domestic tourism makes up just 20% of the total. And tourism is the biggest individual part of the Thai economy. So you are WRONG, WRONG and WRONG. Now, go and put on your DUNCE hat and sit in the corner.

It's a biggie for sure. Tourism isn't just the money spent on hotels. You can include the money from flights, spends in shops, on tours, on taxis, in bars, in restaurants, exchanging money, calls home from a Thai phone etc.

And not to forget the biggest earner. The ladies. Not only from the money some of them spend on living expenses (after getting money from their foreign boyfriends) but also the large sums some send every month to their Thai gfs and wives from home. Not knocking it at all by the way. Good luck to 'em (western and Thai). Just a fact that is generates a lot of money for the Thai economy.

For the most part, it all stems from some dude arriving in Thailand for a two week holiday.

I have a hard time imagining that a protest over beach chairs in any way, shape, or form is equivalent to the trail of destruction, dirt, filth, disorder, and chaos left from Chinese tourists.

Yet the Thai tourism authority is now actively promoting tourist from China and these are people who add very little to the Thai economy. They come on package tours which included hotel full board,coach trips around the area and spend little or nothing in the local shop and bars. The only people earning money out of them are the hotels and tour operators.

But where ever you come from respect the country you are visiting and try your very best to observe that countries way of life. Those who come to get drunk every night and feel having a punch up makes for a good time then arrest them, stamp there passport with a two year ban on entering the country and send them back on the next plane home. The airlines will oblige by changing their flight departure from that on their return ticket

I was just eating dinner down at PhayaThai and there appears to be a large number of Chinese around as usual this time of year. And they seem to be out spending in the shops, at the very least spending on food at the local food places. And this is hardly the first time I've noted myself sharing a space with a large number of chinese which seem to be independent to decide when and where to eat.

Perhaps the role of Chinese visitors is underplayed by lots of other visitors to this country and by some thai people,. I imagine that its a gross case of confirmation bias and misinformation with a kicker of prejudice that is the source of the package tour stereotype.

I have a hard time imagining that a protest over beach chairs in any way, shape, or form is equivalent to the trail of destruction, dirt, filth, disorder, and chaos left from Chinese tourists.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. The stupity of these reporters is mind boggling. I believe they really think they have an argument people will believe, where, in fact, this idiot is equating apples to truck tire. Even an orange would be closer than what he is implying.

Respect is a two way thing!

I'm pretty sure Thai sex tourists travelling to Farang Land behave themselves, especially those using a two-way thing. Almost certain Asian travelers to Farang Utopia generally behave themselves better than farang travelers to Asia or almost anywhere else. So many farang are repressed about so many things that when they get boozed up ... well in vino veritas, personality-wise.

Threads like these always bring out the over-inflated reaction of farang posters on Thai Visa who sniff out the possibility of loss of face based on their farangness.

• Like 1

"High-profile cases of tourist misbehaviour pose a dilemma for Thailand...More and more travellers are ignoring the admonishment to fit in "

Yes. Where does Thailand draw the line for foreign tourists, and how can they fit in better?

A bit difficult to behave properly as the Thais do, since foreigners can't do business in Thailand. Thus preventing them from being like Thais and unable to run Jet Ski shops that charge for damages not caused by the user. They can't drive taxis and rip off customers on the fares. Can't enslave people to work on fishing vessels. Can't murder Canadian tourists and be let off until they kill their Thai wife. Can't get away with having their sons kill English couples and blame it on Burmese.

Yes, it is quite a dilemma I'd say. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

You actually think your hyperventilated laundry list represents typical Thai behavior and that murders, rip-offs, etc of foreigners aren't daily occurrences in Europe, America and Australia?

How many "visitors," aka tourists, open businesses in Farang Land. In fact how easy is it for a Thai to even get a visa to Farang countries?

Can't enslave people to work on fishing vessels.

You might want to do a quick review of the history of slavery, subjugation, exploitation and colonization visited on the world by the fair-skinned people and the continued economic exploitation by the west of the so-called developing countries.

At least if you feel victimized in Thailand, you can pack up and head back to wherever it was from which you fled. That's never been an option for people whose countries have been invaded by the western military and/or those with self-serving economic "interests."

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I still havent worked out who told anyone that someone wasn't allowed to bring their own chair to the beach? I mean, if you can't take a chair, can you take a towel, what defines a chair? What if its a sofa? A lilo?

Idiot police

I doubt the local plod are too thrilled at having to enforce this nonsense either to be fair, not with messers J. Beam and J. Walker waiting to be interviewed back at the nick...

Insects spend more than Thais on a domestic holiday.