Job offer in Chiang Mai VS Bangkok?

sunnyaloha

I have received an international teaching job offer in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

BKK salary works out to 70,000 baht X 12 months
CM salary is 104,500 baht X 12 months

I have never been to either place, but I was leaning towards BKK because I personally prefer city life. I like convenience and options of things to do/see. If I choose BKK, I would be living in the Thonburi area by the river, which I am told is close to the subway as well as the school.

I hear great things about Chiang Mai, and how beautiful it is, but I'm concerned about how rural it is. The extra money is definitely swaying me, but ultimately, the choice of living is the most important to me.

Advice would be appreciated!
What does everyone think about the 2 places?

I should add that I'm only going to be in Thailand for 1 year, and would like to experience as much as I can in that relatively short amount of time.

Ok then.....If you're not too worried about saving bundles and you just want to work and party for a year, maybe Bangkok is for you.

I should add that I'm only going to be in Thailand for 1 year, and would like to experience as much as I can in that relatively short amount of time.

Ok then.....If you're not too worried about saving bundles and you just want to work and party for a year, maybe Bangkok is for you.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not planning or wanting to be out partying all the time. I simply just want options for activities, and I don't want to be a couple months in and have already run out of things to do. I really don't know how much there is to do/see in CM as I've never been.

Boy what a no brainer Chiang Mai hands down. You make more money, rents are way way cheaper, food cheaper, less traffic easier to get around the city. The climate is more temperate. I have been to BKK a couple times could not wait to get out. As another poster stated after a few months BKK can wear one down. If your working the party animal side of you will be restricted.

• Like 2

Don't want to put you down but surely you did your homework and checked out the cities on line before you even applied (maybe I'm wrong and the schools contact you, I don't know how this works) Also when looking at location of schools you will see that CM is not exactly rural.

Anyway besides the above that I find strange, I would choose CM more money, it is a city, cheaper living, semi-international airport if you need to get away for weekends / breaks.

Only you can decide

Chiang Mai is a great city to live in, plenty of night life. With the extra cash you could easily travel to BKK on occasion and still be way ahead. Rents are much cheaper in CM than BKK so you will save a whole lot more. You can also get the neighbouring countries over a weekend from CM airport if thats your thing. My vote...go for CM

• Like 1

Boy what a no brainer Chiang Mai hands down. You make more money, rents are way way cheaper, food cheaper, less traffic easier to get around the city. The climate is more temperate. I have been to BKK a couple times could not wait to get out. As another poster stated after a few months BKK can wear one down. If your working the party animal side of you will be restricted.

No doubts. Teachers living in Bangkok dreams about get jobs in Chiang Mai...even for less money. Better in everything! If you get the job in BK and go to CM just to visit.... your regrets will ruin your time here. Believe me

That's not even a "contest".

BKK

- Asian version of Los Angeles, with all it's good and bad.

- Lower salary, but higher cost of living.

- Crime rate and rip offs off the chart

CM

- Definitely "cosmopolitan" enough for any but the most die hard.

- Higher salary and MUCH lower cost of living.

- Crime rate and rip offs no where near those of BKK

Another thing is to take into consideration is the overall attitude of people. On this one, CM wins hands down by a landslide.

"Go North, young man" (My apologies to Horace Greeley)

It does sound like you've done absolutely no research before posting here or applying for those jobs (if that's what happened).

Anyway, Chang Mai is Thailand's second city. It might be wise to bear that in mind before committing to half the money for the BKK city life.

But here is the main point want to make: some non-international teachers tend to accept lower salaries just to live in Chang Mai as opposed to BKK. You, as an international teacher can get double the salary by being in Chang Mai. Strange how your reasoning goes against most others. Wait, that'll be the lack of research.

What you really face is the choice between two different types of city, see Google for more info or await folks willing to spend their time telling you what you could have found for yourself.

• Like 1

To those moaning about lack of research, what is this thread?

At 104k, I'm guessing the school is PTIS, in Mae Rim. I'd get a condo to the north of Nimanhaeminda Road, on the Canal Road, definitely not further south due to traffic. If with family, a house in Mae Rim. On the salary, you can fly to BKK every weekend if you must.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai all the way. Don't know where you got the idea it's rural. Far from it. It's also a great launching pad to see some real Thailand like some of the towns in the far north. Other than, perhaps Issaan, it has some depth to it. CM is very artistic with some fantastic artisans. It might not have the night life of Soi Cowboy and NaNa but Loi Kroh Rd. Can certainly have its moments, many great, and Spicy and The Yellow complex will keep you in trouble.

Go north young man.

I've lived in both, would only ever come to Bangkok for work or transit, Chiang Mai, a city of 2 million people surrounded by mountains and jungle within ten minutes drive of the city centre is a hundred times better, with easy access to Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia. Just have to get used to Chinese tourists!

Edited by Classic Ray

Chiang Mai 1st choice, city is big enough.......less, traffic and people........and not as expensive as BKK.........you can always do a long weekend holiday in BKK!

I have lived here 2 yrs already in CM and happy :-)

Surely you have enough votes in now to convince you CM wins hands down, even ignoring the financial side. If you still want to opt for Bangkok, I can only wish you luck. Personally, I'd rather swallow razor blades than live in BKK more than a week.

• Like 1

You sound like a city slicker. Bangkok has all the things you would be looking for.... Just as long as you have the patience for waiting in long lines of traffic, in hot mucky weather.

Chiang Mai has a little of everything....and the people are just more laid back and friendly. I have not run out of places to go... I like variety, and in Chiang Mai you can get out of the city in no time at all. Several scenic areas to visit. I prefer the ambiance up here. Bangkok wears my patience to the bone. Just a another congested, uncaring,heap of concrete buildings and people in a hurry.

As said early....a very short, inexpensive airplane ride will get you to either place. You might find Chiang Mai a more pleasant place to live......and still do some trips to Bangkok. Nothing I really miss in Bangkok...I am not much of a club goer... nor do I enjoy hanging around food courts in shopping malls. We like the atmosphere of the Northern provinces, outdoor activities, motorbiking, bicycling, hiking, and just driving through the scenery.

Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand, so it's not the boondocks. Go to Chiang Mai, that extra B35K/mo in salary, and the extra B15k/mo you save in expenses can buy a weekend or two in Bangkok, every month. There are plenty of women in Chiang Mai, just not as many bargirls as Bangkok. The university is a good place to meet one--factulty, staff, and students. Besides, women should not be a problem, Thailand is the most adulterous country in the world--according to a byline published today by TV.

To those moaning about lack of research, what is this thread?

This thread is something that could have been posted after enough basic research to know that Chang Mai itself is a city too, indeed Thailand's second city, thus a more informed question might result in something more than "BKK: hot smelly and lots to do vs. Chang Mai cooler, less cynical still plenty to do... rather than coming across like getting others to waste their time saving one's own.

I made a point, you asked why and I've answered. Now, much as you probably will not believe this, but I'm not really interested in taking Bash The OP Or Not any further, so I hope this post can satisfy you because it's going to have to.

I always thought that everyone wanted most money from work. If you choose bkk then it would be difficult to change work and demand a 35k raise. If you choose cm then you have a nice start when discussing new salary when searching for new work. It simply shows you play in another league

• Like 1

Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand, so it's not the boondocks. Go to Chiang Mai, that extra B35K/mo in salary, and the extra B15k/mo you save in expenses can buy a weekend or two in Bangkok, every month. There are plenty of women in Chiang Mai, just not as many bargirls as Bangkok. The university is a good place to meet one--factulty, staff, and students. Besides, women should not be a problem, Thailand is the most adulterous country in the world--according to a byline published today by TV.

Actually, it's the fourth largest city, after Nonthaburi, and Nakorn Ratchasima, but arguably the second most lively city...