Car Ownership Transfer, 2 different regions

konying

Have not had first hand experience, hopefully someone has.

I am based in Pattaya, with WP in Pattaya.

I am buying car privately in Bangkok.

Question is, would i be able to do the transfer of name in blue book in Pattaya? or would it have to be done in Bangkok?

Both myself and seller have WP(though not sure if it matters, but we do not need residency cert)

depends where the car is registered, if its Bkk then do the transfer there

You cannot register it in Pattaya if the car is from another province

Car is registered in BKK

This was my question/fear that it has to be done in BKK.

A friend, last night, said agents in Pattaya can do it, but service fee alone is around 2500.

Can be both..

You can do the transfer of region and then a name change..

Or you can do the name change and then (optionally) change region..

The changing of region takes a bit longer, as much as 2 weeks, and you get a new plate of course.

I am lead to understand that bangkok plates are 'special' (a law I assume designed because bangkok people seem to think they are) where a bangkok plate can be registered in the provinces and stay a bangkok plate, but this cant be done with 2 provincial plates. I have no direct experience but I was told this odd rule does apply.

I have personally changed regions on cars and bikes, and also owned cars and bikes in regions I didnt live.. My current chiang mai collection has a phuket car and firebade, an Udon registered super moto, a collection of CNX registered vehicles and a Phnom Penh registered KTM.

EDIT :: Of course if your paying 100% of the item at purchase, get it in your name in the place it is currently registered, that way and problems show up straight away.. This is why my bikes are scattered around, buying them I wanted the name changed ASAP not paying and driving into the sunset.

Edited by LivinLOS

Can be both..

The changing of region takes a bit longer, as much as 2 weeks, and you get a new plate of course.

I am lead to understand that bangkok plates are 'special' (a law I assume designed because bangkok people seem to think they are) where a bangkok plate can be registered in the provinces and stay a bangkok plate, but this cant be done with 2 provincial plates. I have no direct experience but I was told this odd rule does apply.

I have personally changed regions on cars and bikes, and also owned cars and bikes in regions I didnt live.. My current chiang mai collection has a phuket car and firebade, an Udon registered super moto, a collection of CNX registered vehicles and a Phnom Penh registered KTM.

EDIT :: Of course if your paying 100% of the item at purchase, get it in your name in the place it is currently registered, that way and problems show up straight away.. This is why my bikes are scattered around, buying them I wanted the name changed ASAP not paying and driving into the sunset.

Thank you, Ideally this was my plan, but both myself and seller are working full time and its really difficult for both of us to spare 3-5 hours on doing this :(

three ways to do it

1 - through an agent as you say 2500

2 - in person in bkk name change only

3- in person with the bike on the second visit to Chonburi or Rayong ( can not be done in Pattaya) name and reg change

Takes three days at Rayong name change and plate change to local from down south I did one a month ago.

if your too busy to go yourself then it looks like the 2500 baht route, get the agent to change reg area as well, saves messing around if you sell

• Like 1

Can be both..

Thank you, Ideally this was my plan, but both myself and seller are working full time and its really difficult for both of us to spare 3-5 hours on doing this sad.png

3 -5 hours would be a dream.

I had recently my car, from which the leasing completed, changed to my name with Pattaya plates. Under leasing it had Rayong plates.

Went to Chonburi, as that is the only place that can do it, took about 4 - 5 hours with all the paperwork to complete and car check.Long cueues in Chonburi.

Was then told I should come back after 1 week, because however I had the signed transfer documents from the leasing company, they need to check with Rayong transport department and seemingly that can't be done by computer.

The following week it took me another 6 hours because the computers went down and everything had to be done manually. Around 3pm they told me to come back again after 1 week because they couldn't print the name in the blue book. A bit of argumentation Anthony's way got that issue solved however.

Thank you boys, it something as simple as that does sound like a headache.

SO to make it easier, anyone know agents in Bangkok?

I do not think i am too worried about changing the plates, unless i really have too, so its only name in the blue book.

Ideally for my safety, agent in Bangkok would be better, because they can check the car, take down the chassis and at least advise all is good, otherwise i drive away paying full amount and kind of in the air if all is legit.

I do believe seller is legit, but better be safe than sorry.

So any suggestions for agent in Bangkok, around Asok area?

Thanks in advance and thank you for the information how long it really takessmile.png , most definitely can not afford to waste all the hours and days getting it done due to work reasons.

Can be both..

Thank you, Ideally this was my plan, but both myself and seller are working full time and its really difficult for both of us to spare 3-5 hours on doing this sad.png

Take it to an agent and let them handle everything for you for a few thousand baht, maybe a little more, no sweat. They'll handle it all and you've nothing to do but wait for the mail.. I was told in the past though that you couldn't do the transfer until you renew the following year, but I can't be certain that's exactly what I remember but at any rate as I said I learned early on while wasting time at the agency for transfers there was a better way and it was far less hassle and not worth any savings not to just have the agent at the inspection station handle it instead, they do dozens per week and it was hassle free and none of our time or the buyers/sellers time wasted..

Edited by WarpSpeed

three ways to do it

3- in person with the bike on the second visit to Chonburi or Rayong ( can not be done in Pattaya) name and reg change

Takes three days at Rayong name change and plate change to local from down south I did one a month ago.

if your too busy to go yourself then it looks like the 2500 baht route, get the agent to change reg area as well, saves messing around if you sell

Beat me to it.. Good info.. I'd definitely opt for #1 in any case, let alone your case, it's just not worth the trouble and time not to have them handle it that way there is no run around like Thai's like to give foreigners just to show they can but even still to avoid any "lost in translation" moments that so often happen and are so time consuming and frustrating. Did 3 or 4 cars this way including the Crown I sold that went from Bangkok all the way down to Songkhla, he was a Thai, the others were foreigners and no reported issues.

OP don't know if this will work? Not too proficient with map links it's been a while since posting any and Google changed their format just as I started to get the nag of it, b'stids, and it's not in Asoke area either, it's Don Muang airport location on Srong Bra Pa Rd. behind this shop with the blue/yellow gear inspection sign in the alley but associated with this shop is an inspection and tranfers agent, the daughter is both nice to look at and speaks rather good English as well, just don't tell my missus that's why we bought and sold so many cars biggrin.png . I can't make out the number but it's there, maybe you can blow up the pic more with the link. [but] it's easy to get to, just back track towards Don Muang airport with the Google map, and you'll see the route. Hope that helps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.925242,100.593009,3a,75y,199.58h,89.48t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqTVpl89NPawQaYwcGVbWYg!2e0?hl=en

Link seems to work ok from here.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

three ways to do it

Beat me to it.. Good info.. I'd definitely opt for #1 in any case, let alone your case, it's just not worth the trouble and time not to have them handle it that way there is no run around like Thai's like to give foreigners just to show they can but even still to avoid any "lost in translation" moments that so often happen and are so time consuming and frustrating. Did 3 or 4 cars this way including the Crown I sold that went from Bangkok all the way down to Songkhla, he was a Thai, the others were foreigners and no reported issues.

OP don't know if this will work? Not too proficient with map links it's been a while since posting any and Google changed their format just as I started to get the nag of it, b'stids, and it's not in Asoke area either, it's Don Muang airport location on Srong Bra Pa Rd. behind this shop with the blue/yellow gear inspection sign in the alley but associated with this shop is an inspection and tranfers agent, the daughter is both nice to look at and speaks rather good English as well, just don't tell my missus that's why we bought and sold so many cars biggrin.png . I can't make out the number but it's there, maybe you can blow up the pic more with the link. [but] it's easy to get to, just back track towards Don Muang airport with the Google map, and you'll see the route. Hope that helps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.925242,100.593009,3a,75y,199.58h,89.48t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqTVpl89NPawQaYwcGVbWYg!2e0?hl=en

Link seems to work ok from here.

Thank you, yeah going agent is the way to go. My time and health worth little more than 2500 baht :)

I will pass this info onto the seller, he lives in Bangkok, so he can find this place.

Will update if/once sale goes through :)

Thanks again

A local agent in Pattaya will do the transfer for you, i bought 2 bikes this year a bbk registered and a surat thani one, a local agent to me in Kilosip did the bkk transfer 2500 baht, ( lesson learnt) my wife and i did the surat thani in rayong using a chon buri province address this one required a reg area change as well, day 1 change name, ( 1 hour) 2 days later take bike, have a check on the bike, new plates issued, drive home, ( 2 hours). these agents make good money on the transfer. In hindsight we should have done the bbk one ourself's to include a reg change.

The bike with the reg change was issued a new tax disc with the same expiry as the original, same green book reissued with new reg number.

Done it at the Chonburi office. A Chiang Mahi registered car to Chonburi plate. No problems except the first member of staff we spoke to not knowing their job and telling us it couldn't be done.

I think it's Tuesdays that is the day to avoid in Chonburi when they do all the lorries, but not sure.

Go up the soi just before the entrance and park up there, much easier as they are building something in the car park.

Done it at the Chonburi office. A Chiang Mahi registered car to Chonburi plate. No problems except the first member of staff we spoke to not knowing their job and telling us it couldn't be done.

I think it's Tuesdays that is the day to avoid in Chonburi when they do all the lorries, but not sure.

Go up the soi just before the entrance and park up there, much easier as they are building something in the car park.

Cheers Arthurwait, but will let the agents do all the work. As i mentioned 2500 baht is not worth my time going around and possibly hitting brick wallssmile.png

I got the seller to look for an agent in BKK and he found one, funny enough 2500 baht cheaper (in total cost) than Pattaya, so for around 5000 baht, transfer fees included all will be done in a week or so.

I find in Thailand, most of the times, its easier to pay some one who is in the business to get things done for you, because due to incompetence, misunderstanding, wrong information on the net, something easy can turn into a headache, and as you know to save the face, they would insist on doing it the wrong way, instead of fixing the problem on the spot and admitting to a problem

• Like 1

OK, just an update for anyone interested or following.

Seller ended up coming to Pattaya because he could not find agents in BKK.

In Pattaya there is one on every corner( i am sure same in BKK, but anyhow)

So went to the shop/agent

Signed all the paperwork, Total 8500 baht

Agent Fees

Transfer Fees

New Tax/Rego

Change of plate to Chonburi.

Prices depend on the car make, i bought a Pajero Sport.

There ya go but even after I provided a link with coordinates on it he couldn't find the agent and it was easier just to drive to Pattaya facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif ? Oh well saved you the trip anyway but I'm thinking maybe it was an excuse to go to Pattaya and get away from the missus instead giggle.gif .

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

There ya go but even after I provided a link with coordinates on it he couldn't find the agent and it was easier just to drive to Pattaya facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif ? Oh well saved you the trip anyway but I'm thinking maybe it was an excuse to go to Pattaya and get away from the missus instead giggle.gif .

Do not laugh but you nailed it.

He came with mia noibiggrin.png

And you right, i was actually happy, did not need to shlap all the way to BKK and back

• Like 2

Do not laugh but you nailed it.

He came with mia noibiggrin.png

And you right, i was actually happy, did not need to shlap all the way to BKK and back

cheesy.gif

What's so funny? Doesn't everyone from Bangkok tote their mia noi to the seaside for some rumpy pumpy (and vice versa)?

Nice report on how it is done. I managed to avoid that by having the dealership handle the transfer bit for my old truck to the new owner when I 'traded-in' for the new one. Old truck had Udon plates and new owner lives in Udon Thani so probably a piece of piss.