TNT Bomb Discovered Near Thaksin's Residence

Thaising

People I think you are watching a slow motion coup in progress.

You could well be right, but who will be the victor ? Thaksin or the Military ? :o

This, indeed, has all the hallmarks of a suspension of civil liberties/coup/martial law in the making...

The parallels in times gone by are boundless with many strikingly similar historical references...

Who will be the victor??? LtCol. Thaksin and the Police or Gen. Sonthi and the Army?

Who has the most guns? the most personnel?

It won't be pretty if it gets to that point...

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thaksin realises it was a botched attempt at scaring the public. He'll downplay the matter and nothing will come out of it. It might not even make front pages of Thai dailies on Monday.

If he was on the radio tomorrow we would know how he was going to spin the news, but as the election decree is in effect already we'll get stuck with the usual "we know everything but can't reveal nothing yet" explanations that have been given a million times already about Southern bombings.

I think Thaksin realises it was a botched attempt at scaring the public. He'll downplay the matter and nothing will come out of it. It might not even make front pages of Thai dailies on Monday.

If he was on the radio tomorrow we would know how he was going to spin the news, but as the election decree is in effect already we'll get stuck with the usual "we know everything but can't reveal nothing yet" explanations that have been given a million times already about Southern bombings.

don't leave out the influential people outside of the ......

Thaksin DOES have a card to play and as long as he doesn't name names ... he'll do OK in Isaan. Many don't trust the city folks so playing on the "those educated people in the cities don't want me to help/protect you" (The same thing worked in the US "Those liberals want to take away ...")`

Stop press:

Hollywood seeks to contract PM Thaksin for cinema plot lines

The latest rumours coming out of Tinsel Town indicate that filmakers are extremely impressed with the plot performance of PM Thaksin. Radically short of new ideas themselves they see the latest incident of the fake bomb plot with the car full of fertilizer ideal material for a Hollywood film or part thereof. The car driving around the area 37 times could be a plot in itself, they are looking for a couple of 'buddy' bad guy actors to fulfil the role. Also apparently they particularly liked the drugged and beaten-up driver being hauled into public view. They have not seen such a convincing Patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald.

Hollywood thinks Thaksin will be great for audiences.

There are further rumours that the elegant and highly sensitive Quentin Tarantino has been salivating at the heavy handed dealing with the problems in the South of Thailand and the amount of shootin' of drug dealers at just about anybody else who gets in the way.

Tarantino was heard to comment " I like this guy Tarksin, he knows how to kick ass and pull the trigger. I loved the way his heavies layed into those innocent elderly protesters, we need more of that. The clampdown on the closing times for bars was a bit tame so I am looking for a real 'Cultural Revolution' with plenty of innocent victims and the cracking of heads. You can't beat a good old fashioned Dictator showing the plebs whose boss ! Go to it Taksy Babee!" :D

Sources: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Los Angeles Times. 08-24-06.

extremely well written, appreciate the effort expended...

:o

"extremely well written, appreciate the effort expended..."

Blush !

Perhaps I need to get out more ?

People I think you are watching a slow motion coup in progress.

You could well be right, but who will be the victor ? Thaksin or the Military ? :o

This, indeed, has all the hallmarks of a suspension of civil liberties/coup/martial law in the making...

The parallels in times gone by are boundless with many strikingly similar historical references...

Who will be the victor??? LtCol. Thaksin and the Police or Gen. Sonthi and the Army?

Who has the most guns? the most personnel?

It won't be pretty if it gets to that point...

Not to forget guys, remember he has placed his brother or cousin as the head of the army I believe. Anyhow another Shinawatra . Plus some other of his buddies in senior army positions.

Maybe making contingency plans incase of a coup attempt.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Pictures of the car and bomber are being shown on ASTV. There's apparently only 3 or 4 minutes between the car being spotted , inspected and the 1st picture of the driver sitting in the car as above. :o (according to the time and date shown at the bottom of the digital pics taken at the time).

Thaksin: 4 soldiers in assassination plot

(dpa) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Friday at least four military officers were involved in a "plot" to assassinate him with a car bomb. The premier said the alleged assassination bid did not justify declaration of a state of emergency as some critics speculated, saying the situation is not that serious. Thaksin dismissed widespread doubts over the authenticity of the alleged assassination bid as "unfair," saying there had been "a real, serious" bomb in the car intercepted by police, near his home, on Thursday morning. The Bangkok Post's bold headline on Friday, "Bomb plot or stunt?," was echoed by many pundits and opposition groups, who said the details of the plot appeared fantastical. The National Intelligence Agency chief Jumpol Manmai said all doubts would evaporate when he was able to reveal who was behind the conspiracy. Jumpol told Thai television stations that for the moment the mastermind's identity had to remain secret.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=112458

His cousin Shinwatra retired last year, didn't he? The army is divided.

I'm not sure he'd come out better off in Isan after this plot. Central World Plaza beatings and bombs are not exactly the staff he wants to campaign on. It's too controversial as not many people like what they have seen in the past few days.

If Bangkokians believed in the bomb, he'd win some middle ground votes, but it didn't turn out that way.

Pallop ordered to resign as Defence Minister's adviser

Sacked General Pallop Pinmanee said on Friday that Defence Minister General Thamarak Isarangura had ordered him to resign as his adviser.

Pallop said he would also cancel his membership with the Thai Rak Thai Party.

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra sacked Pallop as deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) on Thursday after ISOC officer Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana was arrested while driving a car loaded with explosive devices near Thaksin's home.

It was said the incident was part of plot to assassinate Thaksin. Thawatchai was also a driver for Pallop several years ago.

"General Trairong Intaratat, the defence minister's chief of staff, called me this morning, saying that Thamarak wanted me to resign as his adviser. If I refuse, he would sack me," said Pallop.

"How can I refuse the minister's order? With all my pride and dignity, I will submit my resignation. I will also cancel my membership with the Thai Rak Thai Party," he said.

"The Godfather" movie script??

The 70-year-old general said there were still many questions lingering over information given by the police about the alleged plot to assassinate Thaksin.

"Police said the vehicle left ISOC headquarters at 5.45am on Thursday. From there to where the car was found would take about 20 minutes or at about 6am. The premier said he escaped the plot as he left home earlier than usual or at about 8.30am. So anyone who wanted to assassinate the premier had almost two hours, from 6am to 8.30am, to prepare and detonate the explosives," Pallop said.

"So why didn't he complete the job, as he had more than enough time?"

Moreover, Pallop said that Thawatchai's wife said he drove a Nissan car from their house at about 6am, not 5.45am as earlier reported.

Pallop said he could not understand police statements which said the vehicle had circled the premier's residence several times.

"Why did a driver drive a car loaded with heavy explosives around Thaksin's residence? This is unusual as security officials would have noticed the car and the bombs," he said.

He said he believed the assassination plot was just a fabrication by a group of people who wanted to spin a story aimed at eliciting sympathy for a government whose popularity was declining.

"A few days ago, the government was heavily criticised and is on the downturn. It used the assassination plot to put a spin on the situation," he said.

Pallop said that about five days ago his source telephoned him saying somebody had said he would stage a coup d'etat.

"I laughed because how can I stage a coup d'etat. I am 70 years old and have no power to do so," he said.

"The problem of the country at the moment is the leader. The leader should recognise this for the sake of the country. If he waits until chaos ensues, there will be casualties. The leader should sacrifice himself," Pallop said.

The Nation

--------------------------------------------

hmmm... "sacrifice himself"....... sounds interesting....

Edited by sriracha john

150 people rally outside Prem's house, asking him to protect Thaksin

post-9005-1156519668.gif

A group of 150 people turned up in front of the residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda Friday morning, asking him to help protect caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The group turned up at Prem's house at 8:30 am.

They were not allowed to enter the residence and an aide of the Privy Council president came out to meet them.

They begged Prem through the aide to "help protect the life of the prime minister of the poor".

post-9005-1156519668.gifpost-9005-1156519668.gifpost-9005-1156519668.gifpost-9005-1156519668.gifpost-9005-1156519668.gifpost-19740-1125148039.jpg

The Nation

----------------

Prem is 80 years old. Not sure what these people are expecting.

Thaksin is going down and he knows it. This is his Hail Mary pass, so expect accordingly. He can’t stop the courts unless he has super powers and this is the only way he can get them. PAD wont bring on any violence so Thaksin must simply stage it. You are watching a trapped animal I think he has reached the fight or flight response I have been talking about. He only has days before the courts eat him up. He has no choice except to stage this and play it to the max.

Thaksin: 4 soldiers in assassination plot

(dpa) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Friday at least four military officers were involved in a "plot" to assassinate him with a car bomb.

He also said today he knew who they were... So why are they still not detained, more than 24 hours later?

Is it taking a bit longer for them to find four more unplanned army misfits to add to the circus now that they're having a hard time convincing people?

Mmm, and now a police spokesman says:

It is not a hoax : police spokesman

Police have reiterated that the assassination plot against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was not a hoax, saying the car that was founded loaded with explosive devices on Thursday had also been seen at many other places the premier went to.

Police spokesman Pol LtGeneral Achirawit Supanpesat said the premier's security staff had noticed the explosiveladen car, which was to have been driven by Lietenant Thawatchai Klinchana on Thursday.

"Police investigation into the matter has corroborated the observations of the premier's security staffs about the car. It was found appearing at many places where the premier went," the spokesman said.

Thawatchai was arrested on Thursday after police found a Daewoo car he was driving was loaded with heavy explosive devices. It is still unclear whether the explosives were assembled and ready to be detonated.

Achirawit said Lt Thawatchai insisted that he had just been hired to drive the car.

"However, when he was confronted with evidence that the car left the Internal Security Organisation Command early in the morning, he stopped repeating earlier claims. He has, however, maintained he was not involved in the assassination plot," he said.

The licence of the vehicle was genuine, issued by Land Transportation Department. The owner of the vehicle would be summoned for questioning, the spokesman said.

Bomb experts insisted that if the explosives' circuits had been connected, it would have had an impact over a radius of around one kilometre.

The police spokesman said the assassination plot was not a hoax as the premier's motorcades would have passed the place where the suspect had parked his bombladen vehicle.

"We believe there are more than two people involved in the attempt. When we have solid evidence, we will ask for arrest warrants," the spokesman said.

At the moment, Thawatchai is charged only for being in possession of explosives without permits. "By law, preparing to commit suicide is not considered an offence."

You can all safely move to the 14th floor without a worry now. :D

The spokesman urged all sides to cease speculation and wait until the police investigation was complete.

The Nation

Seems like Thaksin know more that they do... :o Totally absurd

Edited by Tony Clifton

Just a coupe of local opinions: dinner and lunch talk around here seems to feel that it might not be a political move of any kind by either side as it doesn't really make anyone look good (for the Democrats + PAD it would come across as the dirtiest move possible... for the TRT it would make their leader come across as someone bad enough that folks would want to eliminate him.... that's hardly the image they are trying to project, rather the opposite). Best guesses are that this incident are an attempt by southern elements who have real desire + motive (but less than advanced experience: compared to say their veteran counterparts fighting overseas, hence the botched attempt) to see something like this happen.

By reading you Heng, it's possible to foresee the "exit strategy" that Thaksin could take : "it's the south".

Evening, CClub. Anything is possible. It could be an exit strategy or it could be an attempt by insurgents.

But you seem to forget the dozen of versions that were given by authorities since yesterday morning. Nothing is straight. Plus did a good recall of it in his previous post.

Haven't really been keeping track of versions... although police officials releasing "facts" that haven't been confirmed is hardly an out of the ordinary thing.

I've another idea : it was a set up by security services, working for Thaksin, but they have failed ! They wanted the car to blow off (much more "graphic" images for TV, greater impact).

Again, anything is possible. Curiously, since you apparently believe it was a setup by TRT.... I assume you feel that Gen. Pallop's driver was bought off as well as whatever party had access to one of Gen' Pallop's vehicles? Or do you feel that the general is part of the entire 'charade?'

:o

Edited by Heng

Wife was told her husband will simply 'die in prison' if he does not confess his crime

Lieutenant Thawatchai Klin-chana's wife was told by police to persuade her husband to confess to attempting to assassinate caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or else her family would be in trouble, a relative disclosed yesterday.

Thawatchai was arrested on Thursday morning while getting into a car loaded with a huge amount of explosives that was parked near Thaksin's home.

Following the arrest, Thaksin claimed to have narrowly escaped an assassination attempt. His security officers later provided the media with photographs of Thawatchai and the explosive materials found in the vehicle.

Thawatchai's elder sister Thavorn Klinchana, 54, yesterday described him as a "scapegoat" that could be silenced.

"We are afraid that he will be killed so the case can be closed. We are worried he will die despite doing nothing wrong because he's a victim at the hands of the powers that be," she said.

Thavorn said relatives were not being allowed to visit Thawatchai because police claimed the investigation was not yet complete.

"But police called my sister-in-law and asked her to push my brother into confessing things. Police said my brother would just die in jail if he refused to confess," Thavorn said, quoting what Thawatchai's wife, Sangworn Tadjampa, had told her.

Thavorn said she did not believe Thawatchai would ever attempt to assassinate Thaksin. She said the family would try to find good lawyers to defend him.

Thavorn said she had kept the news of Thawatchai's arrest from their paralysed father.

"I am afraid it might be too much for him to bear. But I don't know how long I can keep it a secret from him," Thavorn said.

She said she was also worried about Thawatchai's health because he needed regular medication for hyperthyroidism.

hmmm... hopefully, as he's not a "farang prince," he might actually be able to get his medication while staying in jail.

"From what I saw on TV, my brother seemed so exhausted," Thavorn said.

Sangworn said her two children cried over Thawatchai's arrest. "He has never criticised Thaksin. I don't believe my husband would ever try to kill the premier," she said.

After his arrest, Thawatchai said he was paid Bt200 by an unnamed friend to drive the car from the spot where he was arrested to nearby Soi Suan Oy.

Thawatchai was formerly a driver for Pallop Pinmanee, who was sacked from the post of deputy director of the Internal Security Operation Command immediately after the arrest on Thursday.

Pallop has denied being behind an assassination plot. "You know me. If I was behind it, I would not have missed," he told reporters after his sacking.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Bomb's power unclear: expert

A leading security expert said yesterday that authorities had yet to provide a convincing answer as to how the explosive materials found in a car on Thursday were to act as a bomb and what damage the bomb was capable of.

While the materials discovered by police are commonly used as components in terrorist bombs, Chulalongkorn University Associate Professor Panitan Wattanayagorn said the authorities had exaggerated the power of the material confiscated, thus raising more questions than answers.

He said the overall composition of the explosive materials contradicted the government's claim that the so-called bomb plot to assassinate caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was the work of a highly sophisticated outfit looking to wipe from the face of the earth everything within a one-kilometre radius.

Panitan pointed out that the assembly of bomb material appeared to be "very sloppy", and that the "wiring and ignition were very makeshift, crude and basic".

He said the amount of explosive found was enough to cause damage up to a radius of no more than 100 metres, not the one kilometre, as claimed by the authorities.

Combined, the confiscated materials - 67 kilograms of ANFO (ammonium nitrate and fuel oil), 1.5kg of C4 and about 4.8kg of TNT - were designed to take down an installation or a small building, and not to wipe out everything within the stated range, he said.

The composition of the Bali bomb in October 2002 that killed more than 200 people, for example, had more than 300kg of blasting agents in each of the three vehicles.

Panitan said it was just as important that each of the Bali vehicles was situated near a "critical structure" in order to create the most impact. This aspect was lacking at the Thursday incident, he said.

TNT blasting pressure is very high with a velocity of 6.9km per second. But the initial blast from 4.8kg would not be enough to keep the 67kg of ANFO burning for any significant length of time - and certainly not as far as one kilometre from the point of the blast, he said.

"Any effect beyond the initial impact area would be significantly weakened," said Panitan.

The Nation

"Thaksin said that one of his influential extra-Parliamentary critics, Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, and a close friend of the renegade general, had not so far been linked to the alleged conspiracy. Bangkok Post-Breaking News"

http://www.cinefeel.net/img/photos/285/285_1876.jpg

A desperate man, throwing s***, earlier today :o

Edited by seri thai

Wife was told her husband will simply 'die in prison' if he does not confess his crime

Lieutenant Thawatchai Klin-chana's wife was told by police to persuade her husband to confess to attempting to assassinate caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or else her family would be in trouble, a relative disclosed yesterday.

Thawatchai was arrested on Thursday morning while getting into a car loaded with a huge amount of explosives that was parked near Thaksin's home.

Following the arrest, Thaksin claimed to have narrowly escaped an assassination attempt. His security officers later provided the media with photographs of Thawatchai and the explosive materials found in the vehicle.

Thawatchai's elder sister Thavorn Klinchana, 54, yesterday described him as a "scapegoat" that could be silenced.

"We are afraid that he will be killed so the case can be closed. We are worried he will die despite doing nothing wrong because he's a victim at the hands of the powers that be," she said.

Thavorn said relatives were not being allowed to visit Thawatchai because police claimed the investigation was not yet complete.

"But police called my sister-in-law and asked her to push my brother into confessing things. Police said my brother would just die in jail if he refused to confess," Thavorn said, quoting what Thawatchai's wife, Sangworn Tadjampa, had told her.

Thavorn said she did not believe Thawatchai would ever attempt to assassinate Thaksin. She said the family would try to find good lawyers to defend him.

Thavorn said she had kept the news of Thawatchai's arrest from their paralysed father.

"I am afraid it might be too much for him to bear. But I don't know how long I can keep it a secret from him," Thavorn said.

She said she was also worried about Thawatchai's health because he needed regular medication for hyperthyroidism.

"From what I saw on TV, my brother seemed so exhausted," Thavorn said.

Sangworn said her two children cried over Thawatchai's arrest. "He has never criticised Thaksin. I don't believe my husband would ever try to kill the premier," she said.

Note that a TRT-shirt was found at Thawatchi's home, so he may even be a TRT-member, who presumably is even less likely to want to kill the acting caretaker PM. It would be good to have his TRT-membership confirmed or denied.

After his arrest, Thawatchai said he was paid Bt200 by an unnamed friend to drive the car from the spot where he was arrested to nearby Soi Suan Oy.

Thawatchai was formerly a driver for Pallop Pinmanee, who was sacked from the post of deputy director of the Internal Security Operation Command immediately after the arrest on Thursday.

So Thaksin still can't yet reveal who is behind the plot, 48 hours later, even though they had been 'under observation' for months, but IS able to fire his friend Pallop on-the-spot & immediately, although he is so-far only distantly connected to events ?

Pallop has denied being behind an assassination plot. "You know me. If I was behind it, I would not have missed," he told reporters after his sacking.

The Nation

Saw the driver on TV last night being transferred, he appeared only semi-conscious and needed two police to help him walk, however although warned by his minders to say nothing, he still found the strength to mumble "I'm innocent".

Don't you just hate it, when one of the 'bit-players' refuses to learn his lines, it just spoils the whole production.

"Thaksin said that one of his influential extra-Parliamentary critics, Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, and a close friend of the renegade general, had not so far been linked to the alleged conspiracy. Bangkok Post-Breaking News"

Throughout this affair, I have been waiting for the second shoe to drop, and now here it comes, the link in the chain which leads to the PAD, cleverly presented to smear, as a negative-connection.

Of course, along with the 'renegade' (? !) general, the rest of the population of Thailand are similarly 'not so far linked to the alleged conspiracy'. :o

Ok so of anyone was involved it was the people Thaksin called to get the stuff together right?

Police say up to 4 military officers were behind plot

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday that police suspect three or four military officers, both active and retired, were involved in attempting to assassinate him.

The police cannot yet tell who was behind the assassination attempt, Thaksin said, referring to the discovery of a car loaded with explosives parked near his home on Thursday morning.

However, Maj-General Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, was not involved, Thaksin said.

Chamlong is an old friend of General Pallop Pinmanee, who Thaksin sacked as deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) following the arrest of his former driver while entering the car.

Thaksin dismissed speculation that the incident was set up. "Ultimately you will know what it is. Police will prove what the truth is. If it was a set-up, there would not be a culprit," he said.

Asked about his family's concern, Thaksin's face dropped as he replied, "My family is worried. I came home thinking, 'Oh, I have the chance to have dinner with my family'. "This is unbelievable to happen in Thailand," he said.

Thaksin said he was tipped off about an assassination plan on August 9 when he came back from inspecting the Northeast region and again on August 10 after returning from a trip to Cambodia. "I thought it was just threats, but when it happened on Thursday then I knew it was not a threat but real," he said.

Asked if he had talked to Pallop at all before sacking him, Thaksin said he had not spoken to him for a year.

A police source responsible for the ongoing investigation into the matter later said that there were more than 10 individuals involved in the murder plot against Thaksin, including two Army major generals and many colonels.

Apart from their frequent activities in connection with politics, these 10 people were known to have close connections with Army Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana, the driver of the explosives-laden car intercepted by police on Thursday.

"But there is no concrete evidence implicating them with the assassination plot.

The suspect, now charged initially with having explosives in his possession, appeared tense and exhausted after police questioned him throughout Thursday night. He kept his eyes closed while being escorted from his detention cell to an interrogation room at the Crime Suppression Division compound yesterday morning.

The suspect put his head in his hands when the questioning began, and asked for two headache tables. He was later allowed to rest in his detention cell after he said he was not feeling well after a long interrogation session.

Police spokesman Pol Lt-General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj later reiterated that the assassination plot was not a hoax, saying the car that was found loaded with explosive devices on Thursday had also been seen at many other places the premier went to.

He said the premier's security staff had seen the car, which was to have been driven by Thawatchai on Thursday. "The police investigation into the matter has corroborated the observations of the security staff about the car. It was seen at many places where the premier went," the spokesman said.

Ajiravid said Thawatchai insisted he had just been hired to drive the car.

"But when he was confronted with the evidence that the car had left the Internal Security Organisation Command early in the morning, he stopped repeating those claims. He has, however, maintained he was not involved in the assassination plot," he said.

Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai yesterday questioned why police jumped to the conclusion that Thursday's incident was an assassination attempt.

"Police should wait until they have clear evidence, or the investigation will just go the way the government wants it to," he said.

However, PM's Secretary-General Prommin Lertsuridej insisted there had not been a set-up. He said the officer arrested was from a group the government had been watching closely.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/08/26...es_30012042.php

Edited by John K

Just waiting now for Mr. Thawatchai to either try an "escape" or commit suicide.

This scenario: "I've another idea : it was a set up by security services, working for Thaksin, but they have failed ! They wanted the car to blow off (much more "graphic" images for TV, greater impact)." - (cclub75 i believe) seems more plausible every minute.

It would explain the car driving around - looking for a safe place to detonate, and the switch in drivers, as well as the big mix-up. The car spotted by someone not in on the plot being the reason everything "blew up" before it was supposed to.

Edited by Netfan

Analytical prediction:

as I see it there are 3 possible scenarios. The outcome of the first event and time elapsed will decide what scenario will happen. Keep in mind the reason for all of this is to keep Thaksin out of jail and in power.

The attempt on his life was fake because of timing. The elections are in process and why invoke a crime when something legal and democratic will achieve the same results.

I am sure there are very few people on the fence when it comes to Thaksin, I suspect a survey would show an inverted bell curve as how he is viewed by people. People are either strongly pro or anti Thaksin. So the bomb would grab few votes but mostly will serve as an excuse to do some house cleaning to reinforce his grip on power very much like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussei...dation_of_power

Saddam Hussein convened an assembly of Ba'ath party leaders on July 22, 1979. During the assembly, which he ordered videotaped, Saddam claimed to have found spies and conspirators within the Ba'ath Party and read out the names of 68 members who he thought could oppose him. These members were labeled "disloyal" and were removed from the room one by one and taken into custody. After the list was read, Saddam congratulated those still seated in the room for their past and future loyalty. The 68 people arrested at the meeting were subsequently put on trial, and 22 were sentenced to execution for treason.

Possible scenarios:

1) Thaksin will get enough milage out of the fake bomb to declare the need for a state emergency. He will have developed evidence to support this action. Once that is done he will set about ending the legal process against himself one way or another.

2) The first bomb will sputter and the need for a second or more attempts will be orchestrated to add support to the claim for the need for a state of emergency. Once that is done he will set about ending the legal process against himself one way or another.

3) People will completely see this as nothing more than a desperate man trying to save himself from certain demise. It will accelerate his fall from power.

Chuan urges thorough police investigation

Former prime minister Chuan Leekpai yesterday urged police to carry out a thorough investigation into Thursday’s alleged bomb plot, and not allow themselves to be pressured by a government convinced it was an attempt to assassinate the premier.

Chuan said there were too many irregularities in the case to draw the conclusion that the discovery of a car loaded with explosives was an attempt to kill caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

“I urged the police not to draw their conclusion now that this was an assassination attempt,” he said. “There are still so many facts that don’t quite add up.

“The police should investigate further until they are absolutely certain.”

Chuan said government officials were wrong to tell the public that the plot was engineered by opponents in the military who were keen to topple Thaksin’s administration.

“The government had no right to tell the public that this was an attempt to kill the prime minister,” said Chuan, a former Democrat party leader who served as premier between 1992 and 1995, and 1997 and 2001.

“The police have to make this clear. They must not allow themselves to be influenced or pressured by political powers.”

Alluding to the possibility of a coup attempt, Chuan said he believed the incident would not lead to conflict between the government and the armed forces.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva pressed police to end the uncertainty and speed up the release of important facts about the alleged bomb attempt.

“They need to make it clear exactly what happened,” he told reporters. “The government should not make the claim that this was an attempt to kill Thaksin. This will create misunderstanding.”

Abhisit said the incident should not be used as an excuse for the authorities to declare a state of emergency in the capital.

Armed Forces Supreme Commander Gen Ruengroj Mahasaranond urged all sides to hold their tongues and wait for the facts before making any assumptions.

“Don’t jump to conclusions too soon that the bomb device found in the car was either targeted to assassinate Thaksin or to create a situation,” Gen Ruengroj said.

“Everyone should wait for a summary of the investigation.”

- ThaiDay

One might presume by this that the Army doesn't trust the Police.... :o

Thai Army to Probe Alleged Assassination Plot

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai army said on Saturday it will launch its own investigation of a lieutenant accused of trying to assassinate Prime Minister Thaskin Shinawatra as the government fought scepticism about the alleged plot.

The army probe of Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana, charged with illegal possession of explosive materials after being arrested near Thaksin's Bangkok home, would take about 15 days once its panel received the police report, a spokesman said.

Thai newspapers quoted the head of the police bomb squad as saying a sophisticated and powerful device was found in Thawatchai's car on Thursday and needed only to be switched on.

But that has not silenced sceptics who note that police at the scene initially described a much less powerful and sophisticated device and that it was found on the first official day of campaigning for a general election scheduled for Oct. 15.

Newspapers quoted experts as saying the wires in the bomb, which police said was the second biggest in Thai history after one found in a foiled plot to blow up the Israeli embassy in 1994 :D , were not connected properly. :D

OH MY!... the SECOND largest bomb in Thai history???? :D

They were also quoted as saying the explosive materials police said they found in the car would have caused damage over a 50-yard radius, not the 1 km (1,000 yards) the government said would suffer.

Thaksin, the target of a street campaign to oust him which plunged Thailand into a long-running political crisis, has said four serving and retired soldiers were behind the alleged plot.

"What we still don't know is who are the others within this group and what were their activities," he said.

Hmmm... I thought he had said earlier they knew exactly who was involved in this "charismatic" group.

- Reuters

Police said my brother would just die in jail if he refused to confess," Thavorn said, quoting what Thawatchai's wife, Sangworn Tadjampa, had told her.

With his latest photo, it looks like it might have already occured.

They are hauling him around like a scene from the movie, "Weekend at Bernie's"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098627/

post-9005-1156576005.jpg post-9005-1156576358.jpg

Edited by sriracha john