Scooters

Oziex1

Looking at buying a new scooter, as the roads are pretty poor where I am, would like something with large diameter wheels, the std14 inch is too small for the pot holed roads of Issan. Iv'e only seen the Honda Wave with 17 inch wheels, don't care for the Wave much, anything else available?

What's popular in Nakhon Sawa is to take the old Tenas and other 2T and add longer forks and 17" spoked wheels. Makes a homemade dirt bike. Perhaps a similar thing could be done with a new bike?

The biggest issue is that you don't seem to want a manual transmission. Very hard to do the above with the CVT scooters around.

wait for the new yamaha exciter 150. it will be released soon here at 50 to 60 k thb something.

bigger tires, better chassis, suspensions and brakes and a roomy bike with good enough pep and 5 speed proper tranny with a clutch.

http://motomalaya.net/blog/2014/12/18/2015-yamaha-exciter-rc-150-officially-unveiled-vietnam-15-4ps-150cc-fi-king-street-vnd4545000-rm7354-90/

exciter_main.jpg

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Yammy Nouvo Elegance is perhaps your best option as that has 16" wheels and is still reasonable priced at around 60k. They also go like stink!

Although the Yamaha is a reliable bike, I would avoid them, they lose their value very quickly.

Nouvo 125 is an underbone automatic meaning you loose both the convenience of a true flat step-trough scooter, and the performance / "fun factor" of semi-automatic "almost-motorcycle" thingie. Just like the Honda Blade that at least had the innovation of having the tank in between the foot.

If you truly have decided for an underbone motorcycle, that are an unique Asian specialty, at least go all the way down and get a chain-driven, "high-performance" model with full manual gear if possible,

Nouvo SX 125 was being discounted in Patong recently, presumably to make way for the 150?? They were OTR at 55,000 baht with a discount of 2,000 making them 53,000. I was tempted but was put off by the re-sale values and the fact that pottering around town mostly I really prefer the versatility of the floorboard Click 125i 54,000 OTR.

What about a Yamaha Spark 135 i . They have full manual ( rare ) and semi auto 5 speed. Large wheels , big tires, excelent build quality.

Another good choice. Do Yamaha still produce new models though?

The OP said he wanted auto with bigger wheels than 14in and not a wave. If he was looking at a wave then the Honda SH150 at almost 100k is out, which only leaves a Yamaha Nouvo or Spark (possibly a suzuki model?) The new Yamaha Exciter looks nice but it's manual.

In my experience of driving on crappy potholed roads in Isaan, I'd get a Honda MSX or a Kawasaki KSR and fit them with semi off road tyres. Yes small wheels but decent suspension to handle potholes and great fun!!! The KSR is semi automatic but the MSX isn't. (teach her to use a clutch)

Drifting OT having looked at their site I quite like the look of those Caberg flip helmets on Panda-Rider too. Can't quite figure why all the helmet pages have a banner at the top indicating "For racing use only" though. Something about all the helmets they sell that makes them suitable for day to day road use?

LL can recommend the Yamaha Exciter150 from a position of authority.

Although he likely has never ridden one nor even seen one, nor met someone who has ridden one, it doesn't matter.

and papa al as usual, just derails the thread for a nonsense. and calls my name out. he cannot live without me:)

can recommend whatever i like man. don't need to ride one to recommend one too. what is your problem again?

hoes last night scammed you again or something papa?biggrin.png

Edited by ll2

Drifting OT having looked at their site I quite like the look of those Caberg flip helmets on Panda-Rider too. Can't quite figure why all the helmet pages have a banner at the top indicating "For racing use only" though. Something about all the helmets they sell that makes them suitable for day to day road use?

Because none of them are TIS certified...and thus legally can't be used on the road in Thailand.

• Like 1

Because none of them are TIS certified...and thus legally can't be used on the road in Thailand.

Ah, that sucks :( Guess people will be a lot safer with the 250 baht lids that many stores sell that are 5555? Shame, quite like the style of those Cabergs. Lot's of other flip sun visor helmets around but can't fine one I like. Or just buy one and risk the BIB checking for a TIS approval.

Ah, that sucks sad.png Guess people will be a lot safer with the 250 baht lids that many stores sell that are 5555? Shame, quite like the style of those Cabergs. Lot's of other flip sun visor helmets around but can't fine one I like. Or just buy one and risk the BIB checking for a TIS approval.

Nobody has ever reported the BiB ever causing problems for a non-TIS lid. I've only ever had imported helmets and in 9 years have had no issues (unless it was gather money for the mia noi time and they nabbed me for not having a helmet on).

Cheers. I was gonna do a 'TIS problems search'. Might go for one of the Cabergs. Just need to guess the size right. Always a problem with internet ordering :( Certainly better than the 'free with Scoot' helmets we got (which I must say I do stick on for the 1 minute run to the local 7) or even the 1,500 DOT/TIS Index I bought to up the protection in the interim.

The Nouvo SX125fi [current model] will be easier to find new vs an Elegance.

Nouvos and some similar Suzuki model have the 16' wheels, and fitted with a bigger tires do okay.

However,

the Yamaha Tricity is the safest feeling scooter I have owned and driven.

Very much so.

~80Kbaht.