Want to get my dog desexed, but having second thoughts.

giddyup

Anyone know how to interpret his liver function results? I picked up the printout from the vet today and this is what it reads for his liver.

SGPT (ALT) 73 (5-50:10-60) unit

There is an arrow pointing up alongside the 73 indicating that the reading is high.

From the research I've done it appears that 15-66 is a normal result, so 73 is higher than normal, but is it that bad?

73 is slightly elevated. Not serious.

But if your vet wants to go ahead with this result, you better discuss with him.

Maybe he prefers to play is completely safe, maybe he says this happens also in healthy dogs. Those blood results can fluctuate, but how much fluctuation is allowed I do not know exactly.

I think you best trust your vet's judgement on this. smile.png

edit/added: there are different tests with different normal range results. So, be careful when looking up stuff.

I suspect 5-50 is for males and 10-60 is for females, but don't pin me on that. Again, best to ask your vet.

Thanks, but I'm a little concerned that this vet is just finding reasons to sell me more and more stuff. He suggested milk thistle for his liver, which I bought, and actually take myself in capsule form, and then wanted me to buy a blood "tonic" which I refused. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, and they have the dog's best interest at heart. I certainly hope so. It's not like he's a sickly 9 month old dog, he eats and sleeps well and has plenty of energy.

It's possible that the vet is over-doing it a tad.

Milk-thistle is pretty good .... in humans. I suppose in dogs as well, although I have not read research reports about that. Only anecdotal recommendations. I would follow (as you do already) your vet's advise.

Not sure why the blood-tonic, as you don't say what in it and for what your vet is giving it. Only for the liver or also to boost RBC and platelets?

Are these in the low range?

Did you ask your vet what may cause the elevation of the liver. Next to the blood test, has the vet done a SNAP-test? And what kind of food do you give to your dog; what kind of food brand?

Anyone know how to interpret his liver function results? I picked up the printout from the vet today and this is what it reads for his liver.

SGPT (ALT) 73 (5-50:10-60) unit

There is an arrow pointing up alongside the 73 indicating that the reading is high.

From the research I've done it appears that 15-66 is a normal result, so 73 is higher than normal, but is it that bad?

73 is slightly elevated. Not serious.

But if your vet wants to go ahead with this result, you better discuss with him.

Maybe he prefers to play is completely safe, maybe he says this happens also in healthy dogs. Those blood results can fluctuate, but how much fluctuation is allowed I do not know exactly.

I think you best trust your vet's judgement on this. smile.png

edit/added: there are different tests with different normal range results. So, be careful when looking up stuff.

I suspect 5-50 is for males and 10-60 is for females, but don't pin me on that. Again, best to ask your vet.

Thanks, but I'm a little concerned that this vet is just finding reasons to sell me more and more stuff. He suggested milk thistle for his liver, which I bought, and actually take myself in capsule form, and then wanted me to buy a blood "tonic" which I refused. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, and they have the dog's best interest at heart. I certainly hope so. It's not like he's a sickly 9 month old dog, he eats and sleeps well and has plenty of energy.

It's possible that the vet is over-doing it a tad.

Milk-thistle is pretty good .... in humans. I suppose in dogs as well, although I have not read research reports about that. Only anecdotal recommendations. I would follow (as you do already) your vet's advise.

Not sure why the blood-tonic, as you don't say what in it and for what your vet is giving it. Only for the liver or also to boost RBC and platelets?

Are these in the low range?

Did you ask your vet what may cause the elevation of the liver. Next to the blood test, has the vet done a SNAP-test? And what kind of food do you give to your dog; what kind of food brand?

Everything else on the test was normal. The liver function may have been affected by the Frontline, which he had a bit of a bad allergic reaction to. I think the blood tonic was just part of helping the liver recover, but I'm only guessing. I'm not sure what a SNAP test is, the test covers haematology, parasitology, and blood chemistry. We feed him Royal Canin dry food in small quantities, plus he gets cooked pork or chicken and occasionally beef, all with rice. He also loves apple and oranges, but he only gets them in very small quantities. He's only a small dog, around 7 kg and not a big eater. The milk thistle is sold specifically for dogs, so I assume it works on them the same.

Edited by giddyup

We had two dogs (not ours) neutered upcountry, total price complete with anaesthetic and vitamin shot and a shots to kill larvae (they get those when eating raw meat) the total price was 900 THB.

Both dogs are completely healthy, and now stay home where before they where sometimes gone for 3-4 days. (Maybe that explains why they get fatter after the procedure ;))

May be you should contact Thonglor and the Uni and advise them of mask existence.

I have had 10 dogs and 20 cats desexed in Thailand and at no time, any Vet including Thonglor who charge 7000 baht for the procedure did the blood test or any of the crap you seem to think is legitimate making this Vet to know his stuff

A simple google search shows you the existence of these masks: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=dogs+gas+anesthesia+mask&rlz=1C1AISC_enTH529TH529&es_sm=93&biw=1366&bih=635&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YUPpVLKUNc6WuASl_YHYBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Another google search tells you that even Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket and Care for Dogs in Chiang Mai have gas anesthesia machines. assume these machine come with masks.

And on Thonglor's facebook page: a picture of a cat at ThongLor Animal Hospital in Bangkok with a, what looks to me, mask on his/her face:

https://www.facebook.com/Pet.thonglor/photos/a.197761787015308.18183.196503423807811/370441236414028/?type=3&theater

On their website the gas anesthesia is mentioned: http://www.thonglorpet.com/inner_clinic-detail.php?id=3

And for the preparation before surgery, also on the ThongLor website (translated by google, but still readable):

Preparing for Surgery and Anesthesia.
Since there may be many factors come into effect. From health, age, illness, or even the risk of losing doping. So to keep pets safe from having to undergo surgery under general anesthesia as possible. It has to be better prepared as follows.
1. veterinary health checks are offered.
- Study
- To direct the animals.
- Laboratory tests (blood tests, urine).
- Make special cases, such as EKG, ultrasound, X-ray, etc.
2. Follow the steps as veterinary advice refrain water at least 12 hours.
Prevent vomiting Or retching food out, which could cause choking into the lungs.

And i am telling you for the third time, even with major surgery's like my dogs had, mask was never offered, including oxygen when it was badly needed.

Would seeing the bills make you believe? 1 night stay at Thonglor in ER 9800 baht, surely if they had a mask they would have put it on, do not you think?

It's not about what kind of treatment your dogs have or have not had.

It's about you (initially saying; in this post you are saying it a tad different) that the masks do not exist. See your post #14:

"...Next time ask Vet to show you the mask, i am certain it does not exist, with every dog having different size and shape nose, its impossible and have not been invented yet . .. "

You are incorrect there.

And you saying (post #3):

"giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting ... "

​That is dangerous advise and mis-information, which can be potentially dangerous for the patient.

Yes Nienke, i said and i quote "To be honest with you, in all my years of pet ownership i have never ever seen any surgery done with mask for a dog."

Again for the 4th time, Thonglor, best equipped Vet in Thailand and most expansive Vet in Thailand, did not offer or had oxygen mask for dying dog.

Did not have or offer mask for major spinal surgery, or legs surgery or nose reconstruction.

They also did not have it for other occasions such as bladder surgery for a cat.

So if best and most expansive hospital does not offer a mask in case major spinal surgery, you expect me to believe they would offer it in case of simple desexing?

Great, i am happy to accept this masks exists and apparently also exist on Thonglor website, however it does not exist in reality, for the reasons i already explained.

Yes Vet is taking the piss, lets do a poll, how many Pet owners had to have their pets blood tests before desexing a pet? As i said previously, i have had 35 pets desexed and know of at least another 35 from my staff or mates and none had to have a blood test before simple 10 min desexing.

So what is misinformation? that at least 70 pets never had to be blood tested but according to some theory its the right thing to do? so Thonglor, Animal Vet Clinic, Muang Acke, Soi Neamb- are all idiots and do not know what they are doing?

Even when desexing the disabled dog, he was not blood tested, nor was he blood tested prior to spinal surgery or nose reconstruction or broken legs..

Before surgery:

• Make a booking for your pets operation.
  • If your pet is a dog, wash them the day before surgery as they are unable to be washed until after the stitches are removed 10 days later.
  • Do not give your pet food after 8pm the night before the operation and do not give them any water after 7am on the day of surgery. Their last meal should be a small meal and it is a good idea to take them for a toilet walk in the morning before they are admitted for the day.
  • Any anaesthetic carries a percentage of risk – both in human and animal surgery. Tallebudgera Veterinary Clinic’s protocol is to offer a pre-anaesthetic blood test to our patients undergoing an anaesthetic. The blood test is performed prior to surgery to check vital organ function and to check if the blood can clot. This test also determines whether your pet will be able to process the anaesthetic and what if their electrolyte levels are correct.
  • The vet will perform a thorough physical examination before administering an anaesthetic.
  • All our surgery patients are placed on intravenous fluid support during surgery. This supports them through their surgery and ensures they remain hydrated. This will be explained to you on admission
  • To ensure your pet is as comfortable as possible, all pets receive pain relief prior to Desexing.

And if its a vanity thing, having a male dog with an empty sac.....There is a guy in the states that makes fake dog balls. Made millions. I think they are called nutricals or neuterkls......crazy but true.

• Like 1

And if its a vanity thing, having a male dog with an empty sac.....There is a guy in the states that makes fake dog balls. Made millions. I think they are called nutricals or neuterkls......crazy but true.

if its true mine would need a pair of SNOWBALLS.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Please do not forgo the bloodtest. It's absolutely necessary. It shows whether the animal will have a problem with bleeding

our vet has just been to give ours[hopefully] his last blood test,and i spoke to him about blood testing before being nuetured] if he knows the dog and has treated him in the past and the dog looks well,its not necessary,but some vets will say its peice of mind.so knowing what i am going through with ours having a low red blood cell count i wouldnt hesitate,todays test 350bht.

It's a male thing. Just take the dog to the vet, get his nads off and home. All in one day. He may be a bit woozy but next day running around.

That's how we do it in Europe. Same with cats.

But men have a thing about it, it's almost like they were getting their own balls chopped off. You will be pleasantly surprised about how un different your macho male dog is after his castration. They don't change at all.

Well, they do a little bit. but at least you won't be worried about him running around making puppies every few months. Who will feed them and find them homes? You, as the person who did not castrate your dog should take responsibility for all those pups who your dog fathered.

This subject just gets to me. Do it.

Edited by Patsycat

Yes Nienke, i said and i quote "To be honest with you, in all my years of pet ownership i have never ever seen any surgery done with mask for a dog."

Again for the 4th time, Thonglor, best equipped Vet in Thailand and most expansive Vet in Thailand, did not offer or had oxygen mask for dying dog.

Did not have or offer mask for major spinal surgery, or legs surgery or nose reconstruction.

They also did not have it for other occasions such as bladder surgery for a cat.

So if best and most expansive hospital does not offer a mask in case major spinal surgery, you expect me to believe they would offer it in case of simple desexing?

Great, i am happy to accept this masks exists and apparently also exist on Thonglor website, however it does not exist in reality, for the reasons i already explained.

Yes Vet is taking the piss, lets do a poll, how many Pet owners had to have their pets blood tests before desexing a pet? As i said previously, i have had 35 pets desexed and know of at least another 35 from my staff or mates and none had to have a blood test before simple 10 min desexing.

So what is misinformation? that at least 70 pets never had to be blood tested but according to some theory its the right thing to do? so Thonglor, Animal Vet Clinic, Muang Acke, Soi Neamb- are all idiots and do not know what they are doing?

Even when desexing the disabled dog, he was not blood tested, nor was he blood tested prior to spinal surgery or nose reconstruction or broken legs..

Konying, Nienke is giving you great advice, Thonglor certainly does offer a mask for neutering a male dog as they offered it for our dog about two months ago. They also gave our dog a pre-op blood test - why were your dogs not offered a mask - simple answer why don't you ask? and then report back?

They also offer a mask and pre-op test for female dogs getting spade again I know this from recent experience.

I use a local small vet office for routine vaccinations etc and the vet told me that she could do the operation with a needle anesthesia but that it was better to use the gas.

giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting

Its a really simple procedure, pretty painless

Dog will be more calm and loving and unless you plan to breed or let him have regular sex, its best to desex.

Additionally, your dog will live about 2 years longer...

giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting

Its a really simple procedure, pretty painless

Dog will be more calm and loving and unless you plan to breed or let him have regular sex, its best to desex.

I suspected the blood test may be nothing more than a money spinner. I have found the vets here are always trying to flog you stuff you don't need, like antibiotics for a small cut.

You got it, best to change Vets, who will not try to scam every baht out of you.

Average price is around 800-1000 for a male, though government Vets do it for free.

I have been quoted 950 baht from two different vets, but then they want to charge extra if he has anaesthetic via a mask instead of a needle. Suggesting the mask is a far safer way to go. Haven't had a lot of dealing with the vets in Pattaya, the dog is only 9 months old, but from what I've experienced they seem to be intent in extracting as much as they can.

Go to city vet in firehouse 3rd road. They quoted me 500 baht to spay a bitch. Not 5 star premises but they seem to get the job done OK. Appear genuinely interested in the pet more than the money.