Short term rental of Mac

Overcome

My MacBook Pro has died - an honourable death after more than 4 years of almost constant service and being moved constantly. Most files are backed up but without a Mac they aren't of any use to me and it will be a month until I can afford to replace the machine (30k baht for the repair of my current machine doesn't seem smart).

Does anyone have an idle MacBook Pro, Mac Mini or iMac up to say 4 years old they would be open to renting to me for 4-6 weeks subject to agreement on cost and satisfactory security guarantee? I'm Bangkok based.

Have you considered running an OSX VM ?

In before the "oh no, it's against the EULA!" mob.

I run a VM on my windows desktop, which runs a mirror of my laptop which i update once a month - "just in case" I suffer the same fate as you....

As far as performance, it's quite snappy.

I had not given that a thought - does it run as a program under Windows 7? Would an i3 powered PC have enough grunt? My Windows PC only has 2GB RAM but that's easily upgraded - what would you suggest? My Mac hard drive is still ok so could possibly connect that as am external drive for ease of use if the PC will run this. I guess the program is as easily available as any other software on DVD at the regular hole in the wall monument to Intellectual Property in Thailand? Thanks for the suggestion and interested in your comnents.

I ran on an i5 with 8GB - I think you may need to get at least 4GB, but you can still run the OS to test it's usage with what you have. It'll run fine under windows 7. You can use USB passthrough, so your mac drive could be visible to the guest, but i'd recommend restoration from a time machine backup, purely because I know it works smile.png

Edit: Here's a link to get you started;

http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

Edited by phazey