Does Pattaya Market Sell Turf/Grass on Sundays?

dsfbrit

I was planning to go tomorrow (sunday) and buy some turf at the market opposite the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in North Pattaya.

I have just read on another thread, that they only sell grass on Friday and Saturday. The thread was dated 2012, so I was hoping someone could please let me know if this is still the case and possibly save me a wasted journey.

Thanks for you help.

On Sunday you will have the left overs, as they pack up early.

Better drive to the traffic lights at Sattahip. Open every day and cheaper. When you make the U-turn at the traffic lights, go for the last dealer in the row, as there are 2 or 3 next to each other.

• Like 1

Thanks Anthony5 for the feedback.

That is where I went some years ago to buy my turf. The trouble is, from where I live which is about 10 km north of Pattaya, I think it is a 60+ KM round trip though and I only want 10 Square Metres - so I was hoping to get it from North Pattaya market instead. I have also read about the chaos on the Sukhumvit due to the new underpass construction so I would much rather stay this side of Pattaya if possible.

If I went to the market at around midday, do you think they would still have some turf left, or would it be better to leave it until next Friday?

Edited by dsfbrit

actually right outside of Bang Saray on the way to Satahib. You can also order a meter by meter strips from the owner & they will deliver the load to you. The best part is the 1/2 a meter by 1 meter strips are a lot more work to lay down & tear a lot. Remember to flood the shit out of your sod for 2 weeks to get the roots to take excellent. More water the better. On a delivery they will often accomodate your schedule instead of the usual times. Good Luck!

Thanks Anthony5 for the feedback.

That is where I went some years ago to buy my turf. The trouble is, from where I live which is about 10 km north of Pattaya, I think it is a 60+ KM round trip though and I only want 10 Square Metres - so I was hoping to get it from North Pattaya market instead. I have also read about the chaos on the Sukhumvit due to the new underpass construction so I would much rather stay this side of Pattaya if possible.

If I went to the market at around midday, do you think they would still have some turf left, or would it be better to leave it until next Friday?

If you are only 10km away, give it a shot! You never know. Worst case, you can get it next week.

Not too far north of you are lots of garden shops also. I can't remember the turn off, but it's a major one. Laem Chabang? It's to the right and I'm pretty sure the exit has a highway overpass going that direction also. Can't remember specifically, but there are lots of garden shops along that road. Maybe somebody else can help out?

How much is the grass per mtr?

It Is usually 20 bht for the Malaysian big leaf for 1/2 a meter X a meter & 15 baht for the Nippon (blade grass) The Malay in my opinion after laying over 3 Rai is a much better grass . It will grow in shade or sun & take a pounding from the sun & recover much quicker than the blade style grass. Just remember to use a decent Topsoil & get out all the weeds at tyhe root before laying 9it . You will be soooo glad you did this first so you aren't di-weading forever afterwords. Use plenty of water. we floated 2-3 inches of water on the top for 2 weeks & had superb results in 3 houses so far. Best is to do the lawn on the begging of rainy season or spend the time to water more if you do it off season. But it will reward your efforts with the simple Techniques of flooding the sod for a while when first laid. Regardless where you get it from it either comes from around BKK or upcountry & they give you ultra minimum soil with the pieces so your topsoil is the key to fantastic turf for years to come. The blade type grass is pretty fussy & a pain in the ass. But the malay(which Thailand uses more exclusively feels great on barefeet & grows on auto pilot instead of requiring endless tending to. I would have originally went for bermuda(what the golf course uses) but to hard to find & you have to really water it very often or say bye bye to your turf.

Just a quick thanks for all your replies and advice. I went down to the North Pattaya market on Sunday morning at 11 am and they had about 40 square metres of turf left. It was 28 baht per sq metre. I bought 12 Sq metres.

There was plenty of parking space at the back of the market and I was actually able to park right next to where the turf was loaded onto the back of my pickup.

When I laid it, only 1 turf had a lump missing, so I was pleased with it.

Thanks again.