Sliding Wardrobe Doors

mrbojangles

The issue with doors is humidity - much better to have free air circulation and build open without doors in my opinion. They can look fine as free standing or built in. If you have to have doors the old solution was to have heat generating electric light on all the time. Musty odor clothing is not pleasant.

When I built my house I built walk-in closets in the bedrooms, big enough to use as dressing rooms. They have open built in hanging racks and open shelves to stack clothing and a regular hinged door. There are no wardrobes in the house. Also a walk-in pantry and ,of course, a Buddha room!

The issue with doors is humidity - much better to have free air circulation and build open without doors in my opinion. They can look fine as free standing or built in. If you have to have doors the old solution was to have heat generating electric light on all the time. Musty odor clothing is not pleasant.

Mmmm. Food for thought there Lop. Never thought of the humidity and musty smell. Not really keen on having opened up as I'm pretty much a minimalist and like things to be looking tidy. Do you reckon a louvre type door would allow enough circulation?

Mmmm. Food for thought there Lop. Never thought of the humidity and musty smell. Not really keen on having opened up as I'm pretty much a minimalist and like things to be looking tidy. Do you reckon a louvre type door would allow enough circulation?

I think this circulation thing is being over thought.. You do open up at least one of these doors, then walk around your walk-in closet when you want to change change clothes no? :D

The Hafele Showroom in Bangkok and in Phuket had some very slick door systems when I visited those showrooms. The Bangkok showroom of Hafele had quite a selection of high quality pieces, with prices posted on Soi Sukhumvit 64. The door hardware at the showroom was a world apart from some products of that German brand.

I think this circulation thing is being over thought.. You do open up at least one of these doors, then walk around your walk-in closet when you want to change change clothes no? biggrin.png

I've kept my clothes in one of closed, particle-board armoire things from Index for about ten years. Never had a problem with mildew or musty smells until I left the condo closed up for about nine months. When I returned, everything in the armoire smelled musty. Since I've been back and washed every bit of clothing and bedding in the armoire, no musty smells for five months. My conclusion is that even just a daily routine of opening the doors once or twice daily was enough air circulation.

• 1 year later...