Video of CM Immigration Presentation at Expats Club now on-line

NancyL

Whilst CM Eexpats and Lanna care do an excellent job in helping people through their difficulties in dealing with immigration perhaps there is some merit in developing a system where a some sort of befriending scheme is developed.

Each volunteer is put in touch with an elderly person to go with them and either hold a place in the line, or accompany them through the whole process. Or even better visa agents could do a reduced price for the over 70's or infirm.

Dare I say each volunteer is vetted by immigration authorities to avoid any unscrupulous people getting involved.

In the Uk I was a trained caseworker for a veterans charity , so I know that setting up such a scheme is fraught with great difficulties.

Best wishes to all Frank.

Or do an online reservation for them.

But now Nancy says most don't speak English......always an obstacle.

• Like 2

Whilst CM Eexpats and Lanna care do an excellent job in helping people through their difficulties in dealing with immigration perhaps there is some merit in developing a system where a some sort of befriending scheme is developed.

Each volunteer is put in touch with an elderly person to go with them and either hold a place in the line, or accompany them through the whole process. Or even better visa agents could do a reduced price for the over 70's or infirm.

Dare I say each volunteer is vetted by immigration authorities to avoid any unscrupulous people getting involved.

In the Uk I was a trained caseworker for a veterans charity , so I know that setting up such a scheme is fraught with great difficulties.

Best wishes to all Frank.

Or do an online reservation for them.

But now Nancy says most don't speak English......always an obstacle.

whats really needed is a long term ext of stay,something like 5years elevate a lot of proplems for a few years anyway,should be the goal of all involved with immigration,or the ear of,and to pacify the people in charge may be one year reporting.

This a fantastic idea and should be pushed forward.In the interim we need good system for the elderly and infirm, perhaps we should appeal to immigration authorities to uphold the Thai way of respect for the older generation.

whats really needed is a long term ext of stay,something like 5years elevate a lot of proplems for a few years anyway,should be the goal of all involved with immigration,or the ear of,and to pacify the people in charge may be one year reporting.

You are correct in what you say about the 5 year extension and the changing of 90 day to 1 year.

I enter back into this thread because I just realized how much they have improved the situation. The addition of the chairs is a tremendous improvement. I understand that for some people standing in a line for up to 3 hours is no big deal. But I find myself at 73 unable to do that. I have been extremely lucky the last three years and not found myself in that situation. Three years ago I got there at 7:30 and was out by 11:30 once I hit the jackpot and got an on line reservation about 97 days not the full 100 and another time I went in at 9:30 and was told to come back at 3:30. I fully expected to be told to come back tomorrow but we were are on are way to Makro in HangDong and thought what the heck.

To be blunt about it if any one thinks it is no big deal to supply chairs to sit in for up to three hours volunteer to stand in a line for some elderly people elderly people who feel it is to hard for them to stand in line that long.

Been some good suggestions but then again who is going to do the leg work to round up the volunteers and locate the elderly that need them and coordinate the whole thing. Not me and I doubt Lanna care has the manpower. I personal have been involved with three people they helped. Two of them to get back to their home countries.

The only suggestion I have other than what has been posted is to add an additional on line appointment for the 70 or 75 and up or some one with a valid medical saying they are not capable of doing other wise.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 2

Uptheos -- it's been my observation that many of the people waiting in the parking lot don't speak English, so any "leaflet" explaining the on-line queue system would have to be produced in multiple languages and with the OK of Immigration, of course.

Frankly, while I am interested in doing community service, this project is beyond the capabilities of the Board of the CM Expats Club -- which despite what Beetlejuice says about CEC being a "commercial enterprise" -- is no longer run by someone who has an office staff at his beck-and-call.

Oh, Uptheos -- if you have questions about specific people Lanna Care Net and the community has assisted in the past, please send me a PM.

Are you legally running a registered commercial outfit? Or you do this on a strictly voluntary basis out of the goodness of your heart? Which one is it or is there a third scenario?

If the so-called Lanna care outfit was a proper registered run organisation, then it would be able to cooperate with Immigration in representing the old and those with disabilities, especially the folks who are alone for providing some sort of assistance with their Immigration matters. As for the rest of us, in my case and guess this pertains to many of us, do not personally know of any elderly ex-pats that may require help with these matters and neither in a situation where I could obtain a list of names and contact details of those as mentioned above.

If some sort of body needs to be established to represent ex-pats on certain matters, including the Immigration procedures, than this has to be a bona-fife professionally run organisation with a solid written agenda and rules, registered and answerable to a higher authority, a concern that I have gone over with you countless times, and not you and your so-called team taking on these matters as self appointed do gooders that could leave the vulnerable and the trusting open to abuse from unscrupulous characters.

I have yet to come across non native English speaking ex-pats in Chiang Mai that do not have a least some basic understanding of the English language and I am sure that if English versions of Immigration appointment procedures where handed out in the form of leaflets to those in the early morning queues or even available to take from the counters or a shelf outside, then the very small minority of totally non English speaking ex-pats could ask others in the queue for help and most I am certain would be only too willing to assist them. The only problem I see for this method is who or what organisation would pay for the provision of the leaflets?

Again I thank you for holding the said meeting and uploading a video of the events, but to be frank with you I have yet to be convinced of the integrity of all those behind the outfits that you seem to be heavily involved with. Rather than responding back to me with anymore smart answers you must come to terms that the burden of credibility lies with you, that`s if you expect people to give you credibility and not cynicism.

• Like 2

Uptheos -- it's been my observation that many of the people waiting in the parking lot don't speak English, so any "leaflet" explaining the on-line queue system would have to be produced in multiple languages and with the OK of Immigration, of course.

Frankly, while I am interested in doing community service, this project is beyond the capabilities of the Board of the CM Expats Club -- which despite what Beetlejuice says about CEC being a "commercial enterprise" -- is no longer run by someone who has an office staff at his beck-and-call.

Oh, Uptheos -- if you have questions about specific people Lanna Care Net and the community has assisted in the past, please send me a PM.

Are you legally running a registered commercial outfit? Or you do this on a strictly voluntary basis out of the goodness of your heart? Which one is it or is there a third scenario?

If the so-called Lanna care outfit was a proper registered run organisation, then it would be able to cooperate with Immigration in representing the old and those with disabilities, especially the folks who are alone for providing some sort of assistance with their Immigration matters. As for the rest of us, in my case and guess this pertains to many of us, do not personally know of any elderly ex-pats that may require help with these matters and neither in a situation where I could obtain a list of names and contact details of those as mentioned above.

If some sort of body needs to be established to represent ex-pats on certain matters, including the Immigration procedures, than this has to be a bona-fife professionally run organisation with a solid written agenda and rules, registered and answerable to a higher authority, a concern that I have gone over with you countless times, and not you and your so-called team taking on these matters as self appointed do gooders that could leave the vulnerable and the trusting open to abuse from unscrupulous characters.

I have yet to come across non native English speaking ex-pats in Chiang Mai that do not have a least some basic understanding of the English language and I am sure that if English versions of Immigration appointment procedures where handed out in the form of leaflets to those in the early morning queues or even available to take from the counters or a shelf outside, then the very small minority of totally non English speaking ex-pats could ask others in the queue for help and most I am certain would be only too willing to assist them. The only problem I see for this method is who or what organisation would pay for the provision of the leaflets?

Again I thank you for holding the said meeting and uploading a video of the events, but to be frank with you I have yet to be convinced of the integrity of all those behind the outfits that you seem to be heavily involved with. Rather than responding back to me with anymore smart answers you must come to terms that the burden of credibility lies with you, that`s if you expect people to give you credibility and not cynicism.

Not sure if you know this but we live in Thailand and you can run around yelling all you want are you registered or you have to have a work permit and even though it is true you seem to be the only one always trying to stick to the letter of the law. The police and government don't even come as close as you.

As far as Lanna Care goes get out and have a look instead of whining and crying about it on Thai Visa. I have seen them in action in three different cases. You are completely clueless as to what they do. Also what makes you think they should have to report to you? Wake up and drop it.

• Like 1

Not sure if you know this but we live in Thailand and you can run around yelling all you want are you registered or you have to have a work permit and even though it is true you seem to be the only one always trying to stick to the letter of the law. The police and government don't even come as close as you.

As far as Lanna Care goes get out and have a look instead of whining and crying about it on Thai Visa. I have seen them in action in three different cases. You are completely clueless as to what they do. Also what makes you think they should have to report to you? Wake up and drop it.

I don`t, no thank you, plus I am not alone in my cynicism, I can assure you of that.

I am only voicing an opinion, my main points being that is relevant to the theme of this thread, is that I believe we need an official organisation that could represent the welfare of us ex-pats on an official level here in Chiang Mai and not outfits based on face value and trust that have commercial interests trying to give the semblance that they are some sort of helping hands saints of goodness. It`s that simple.

• Like 1

Beetlejuice, good morning! I'm up early doing final preparation for today's seminar on "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" http://www.lannacarenet.org/

I had wondered how long it would be before you starting casting doubts and throwing stones like you often do every time Lanna Care Net is brought up on Thai Visa. And I'll repeat what I normally say -- come to a meeting, ask your questions and find out for yourself.

And today you have an extra special chance to just blend into the audience and hear our stories because today Carl of Cancer Connect - Chiang Mai and I are presenting a three hour seminar on "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" -- steps you can take now to prepare for a medical crisis and end of life in Chiang Mai. It is at River Market Restaurant, from 9 am to 12.00 noon. Yes, we're asking for a 100 baht donation, so you'll have to look over the fruit, coffee, tea and handouts we give you to see if we're gouging you with that request!

Beetlejuice, since you never come forward to ask questions of us in person, this will be a great chance to sit in the audience (there's still some open seats) and just observe and actually learn more about what we do. I know you're an old Chiang Mai hand with deep connections into the local population, but you might even learn something of value for yourself. Heck, perhaps you might even be inspired to join us in helping your fellow expats.

I would certainly go to this, but am out of town. These are the kinds of issues every older expat needs to address for him/herself.

It looks like the handouts on the website from the previous session will help those of us who cannot attend.

• Like 1

I think you are right, but it would be interesting to know from the 'horses mouth' such things as, why is the online appointment system sometimes full immediately it opens after midnight?

I guess it will just remain one of life's little mysteries.

To answer your question, possibly it's a matter of there being many more expats requiring this service, than there are Immigration staff and office space to handle the work-load.

I'm sure Chiang Mai Immigration have statistics at hand, but it's a matter on convincing the decision makers in BKK, be they Immigration seniors or politicians.

Data might be:

Number of expats requiring 90 day reports. (more than doubled in the past 24 months)

Actual working days in that 90 days.

Number of staff processing on-line requests.

I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea how this answers my question or is even related to it.

I thought this might have been obvious.

It's directly related to your question in that I'm suggesting Immigration look at their statistics and see why on-line bookings are immediately filled as soon as they're opened.

There is obviously a demand for these services, and so more appointment slots need to be made available.

• Like 1

I think you are right, but it would be interesting to know from the 'horses mouth' such things as, why is the online appointment system sometimes full immediately it opens after midnight?

I guess it will just remain one of life's little mysteries.

To answer your question, possibly it's a matter of there being many more expats requiring this service, than there are Immigration staff and office space to handle the work-load.

I'm sure Chiang Mai Immigration have statistics at hand, but it's a matter on convincing the decision makers in BKK, be they Immigration seniors or politicians.

Data might be:

Number of expats requiring 90 day reports. (more than doubled in the past 24 months)

Actual working days in that 90 days.

Number of staff processing on-line requests.

I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea how this answers my question or is even related to it.

I thought this might have been obvious.

It's directly related to your question in that I'm suggesting Immigration look at their statistics and see why on-line bookings are immediately filled as soon as they're opened.

There is obviously a demand for these services, and so more appointment slots need to be made available.

unfortunally the only answer to slots being filled on line at midnight,is financial gain,by all parties involved in this visa procedure,human nature being what it is your never going to stop a system were palms are being greased,with no comeback or fear of being disciplined or question on ones actions,

Beetlejuice, good morning! I'm up early doing final preparation for today's seminar on "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" http://www.lannacarenet.org/

I had wondered how long it would be before you starting casting doubts and throwing stones like you often do every time Lanna Care Net is brought up on Thai Visa. And I'll repeat what I normally say -- come to a meeting, ask your questions and find out for yourself.

And today you have an extra special chance to just blend into the audience and hear our stories because today Carl of Cancer Connect - Chiang Mai and I are presenting a three hour seminar on "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" -- steps you can take now to prepare for a medical crisis and end of life in Chiang Mai. It is at River Market Restaurant, from 9 am to 12.00 noon. Yes, we're asking for a 100 baht donation, so you'll have to look over the fruit, coffee, tea and handouts we give you to see if we're gouging you with that request!

Beetlejuice, since you never come forward to ask questions of us in person, this will be a great chance to sit in the audience (there's still some open seats) and just observe and actually learn more about what we do. I know you're an old Chiang Mai hand with deep connections into the local population, but you might even learn something of value for yourself. Heck, perhaps you might even be inspired to join us in helping your fellow expats.

I attended the session

It was very infomative

Good handouts

A must for all Expats to know where to go to for help

Plus we all have to make decissions

This session advises What You Have To Do

I am glad i went

I attended the session

It was very infomative

Good handouts

I am glad i went

A very important topic, the sort of thing that would be very useful on video.

I attended the session

It was very infomative

Good handouts

I am glad i went

What a 3 hour session on Video

With Question and Answers

I dont think so

Every person has there own set of guidelines that they want to have done when they get Older

I attended the session

It was very infomative

Good handouts

I am glad i went

What a 3 hour session on Video

With Question and Answers

I dont think so

Every person has there own set of guidelines that they want to have done when they get Older

Well, I'm not sure because I wasn't there and don't know the format.

I don't go on any of those websites, so had no idea until this morning that there was a presentation, but I guess it's kept mainly for members of CEC not the general ex pat population.....elitist like most other stuff. It could easily have been announced by someone on this forum in advance, maybe it was, maybe I missed it, I miss a lot of things.

Of course everyone has their own agenda, but you'll be surprised how similar many of the agendas are.

I don't see why a video couldn't be made of something like this?

I would find something like this much more useful than the sterile video we're currently discussing.....or were biggrin.png

The meeting apparently rated highly with one person at least! I believe that there was an announcement of the meeting under the "Chiang Mai News and Events" link, which always leads off the forum, but I might be wrong. If something was posted there, notices there unfortunately don't seem to last long unless they are provocative.

So, back to the topic, I agree that the video was "sterile," but that is the nature of such a production. The editing job on this one should be complimented. A three-hour training meeting longer than Lawrence of Arabia and a lot drier than the Arabian desert would really put people to sleep! So what to do?

How many people have actually looked at the LanaCareNet website. The guidance provided is basically very practical. A general search of various recommendations on the Internet is possible, too. What the LanaCare people have done is focus peoples' attention on what works in Chiang Mai. What's suspicious about that? And there is no sign of an commercial intent, just information, except perhaps listing old folks homes in the area. That should save some people some legwork, if that is what they are looking for. Otherwise, people can do their own research! Why impute any commercial intent to LannaCareNet?

Edited by Mapguy

You raise a good point Mapguy and I for one will be keeping an eye on LannaCareNet's Website.

Seminars such as this certainly serve a useful function.

However, I still think these seminars could be brought to the attention of TVF members, via the General Forum it costs nothing.

I notice that you have to email for 'information and reservations'. Perhaps NancyL could tell us how many people River Market can accommodate and how exactly reservations decided if there is only room for a limited number?

Any particular people get preference?

• Like 1

No it was not for Only CEC Members

I am not A Member

But receive the CEC Newsletter

That way i keep up to date with what is being Offered

By orginisionations around Chaing Mai

Not just CEC

Maybe you should get the Newsletter in your email

That way you will be more informed like others as well as me

• Like 2

You raise a good point Mapguy and I for one will be keeping an eye on LannaCareNet's Website.

However, I still think these seminars could be brought to the attention of TVF members, via the General Forum it costs nothing.

I notice that you have to email for 'information and reservations'. Perhaps NancyL could tell us how many people River Market can accommodate and how exactly reservations decided if there is only room for a limited number?

Yes, why not? Perhaps other notices might have been posted, but I don't recall such notices except (vaguely) under "Chiang Mai New and Events," where notices get buried.

I imagine that NancyL would welcome anyone who wants to join in and that there are other larger venues in town, too, if these seminars get popular, not just The River Market. Cake and coffee aren't always necessary, are they?

Do you think only one TV reader was at today's seminar? Given the concerns expressed by so many retirees on TV Chiang Mai, I'd think more would have (should have?) shown up!

1. Agree 100% and some thinking out of the box is required by immigration to help these people.

2. What work is currently going on to improve the morning pre-queue process?

Actually, they've done quite a lot to improve the morning pre-queue process in the past few months. I haven't seen a major scrum -- just a few minor dust-ups the last three times I've been there in the last six weeks or so.

For starters, they've segmented the pre-queue into four lines -- not just one. People sit in chairs in the lines. This keeps them from bunching up and crowding each other. And senior Immigration officers come on the scene at first light to pass out the large laminated pre-queue cards. The waiting room door is opened by 7 am and the senior officers start to process the pre-queue at that point. For some tasks -- like 90 day reports or changing stamps from old to new passports -- the real paper queue tickets are distributed outside in the parking lot at first light and people are told the approximate time they'll be served.

A year ago everyone waited outside the door, standing in a big herd. (The idea of writing names on a clipboard had long been abandoned) The door wasn't opened until 8 am and then it was pushing and shoving to get thru the door. The laminated prequeue cards were passed out once you got inside the waiting room room door. It was survival of the fittest to get thru the door and get a prequeue card. Now, if you get there early and sit in a chair you're fairly well assured of a fair and safe process for being seen in order.

What is a "senior Immigration officer" that comes out at first light? I mean within the Chiang Mai Immigration office. Is this an Immigration Officer that would be processing visa extensions, for instance? I would think this means almost everyone that works at Immigration would be there at first light?

• Like 1

I don`t, no thank you, plus I am not alone in my cynicism, I can assure you of that.

I am only voicing an opinion, my main points being that is relevant to the theme of this thread, is that I believe we need an official organisation that could represent the welfare of us ex-pats on an official level here in Chiang Mai and not outfits based on face value and trust that have commercial interests trying to give the semblance that they are some sort of helping hands saints of goodness. It`s that simple.

There is a big difference between cynicism and ignorance.

The theme of this thread has nothing to do with your day dreams. It is about a video if you feel there is a need for an organization to represent expats start a thread on it. What information do you have to support your theory of

commercial interests trying to give the semblance that they are some sort of helping hands saints of goodness.

You claim to have a relationship with a member in the police let us in on your inside information rather than making airy fairy accusations. By the way what does it cost to buy a position with the BIB?

You were given a chance to prove your claims at the meeting they had today how was it? Can you give us a list of the commercial originations benefiting from Lanna Care?

Yes, why not? Perhaps other notices might have been posted, but I don't recall such notices except (vaguely) under "Chiang Mai New and Events," where notices get buried.

I imagine that NancyL would welcome anyone who wants to join in and that there are other larger venues in town, too, if these seminars get popular, not just The River Market. Cake and coffee aren't always necessary, are they?

Do you think only one TV reader was at today's seminar? Given the concerns expressed by so many retirees on TV Chiang Mai, I'd think more would have (should have?) shown up!

I'm sure you are right and the more people Nancy could get these very well meaning messages across to, the happier I imagine she will be. Of course there are venues big enough to cater for a much larger audience and I would say coffee and cake aren't necessary at all, unless that's the reason for going.

A fee of 100 baht without refreshments, sounds fair to me.

We didn't turn anyone away or give preference to members of any specific group. We publicized the "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" seminar primarily thru the CEC e-newsletter, Facebook and Steve Yarnold's weekly "Coming Up" newsletter. I mentioned it in several Thai Visa threads.

Carl and I have presented this seminar three times in the past 14 months, so I expect we'll do it again before year end. Each time 50 - 60 people attend. We ask for reservations just to be sure there are enough chairs and handouts.

I can't imagine doing a video. Argh -- 3 hours of watching Carl and me talk. No graphics. In an open air restaurant, next to a busy road. Many questions from the audience, where it's difficult to hear what's being asked. You really have to come in person and work thru the idea of an "Advance Directive" with us, page by page. Asking questions as we go.

We're willing to make "house calls" to go over this material with you, your family and whomever will be your Health Care Representative if you have a pressing need -- for example if you've just received some unfortunate news from your doctor. But otherwise, I suggest you stay tuned -- maybe sign up to receive the CEC e-newsletter and come to the next LCN Lessons Learned Seminar.

• Like 2

We didn't turn anyone away or give preference to members of any specific group. We publicized the "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" seminar primarily thru the CEC e-newsletter, Facebook and Steve Yarnold's weekly "Coming Up" newsletter. I mentioned it in several Thai Visa threads.

Carl and I have presented this seminar three times in the past 14 months, so I expect we'll do it again before year end. Each time 50 - 60 people attend. We ask for reservations just to be sure there are enough chairs and handouts.

I can't imagine doing a video. Argh -- 3 hours of watching Carl and me talk. No graphics. In an open air restaurant, next to a busy road. Many questions from the audience, where it's difficult to hear what's being asked. You really have to come in person and work thru the idea of an "Advance Directive" with us, page by page. Asking questions as we go.

We're willing to make "house calls" to go over this material with you, your family and whomever will be your Health Care Representative if you have a pressing need -- for example if you've just received some unfortunate news from your doctor. But otherwise, I suggest you stay tuned -- maybe sign up to receive the CEC e-newsletter and come to the next LCN Lessons Learned Seminar.

You could find a different place, enclosed and air-conditioned - might cost a little more but it's as cheap as chips.

I have an Advanced Directive and I think most people should have one.

I think it's great that you are willing to make house calls, to those in need.