Special Report: PM Prayut stresses importance of transparency

webfact

Special Report: PM stresses importance of transparency

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has stressed transparency in the administration of the public sector, which would lead to reform in Thailand and the development of sustainable democracy.

In his keynote address at a recent annual seminar on the implementation of the Official Information Act B.E. 2540 (1997), the Prime Minister urged government officials to be aware of the importance of the disclosure of official information to ensure transparency and good governance.

The Official Information Act has been in use for 17 years now. According to the Act, a state agency should at least publish certain official information in the Royal Gazette, such as the structure and organization of its operations and a summary of important powers, duties, and operational methods. It should make the official information available for public inspection in accordance with the rules and procedures prescribed by the Official Information Board.

If a person makes a request for any official information other than the official information already published in the Royal Gazette, or already made available for public inspection or public study, and if the request is reasonably specific, the responsible state agency should provide it within a reasonable period of time.

Almost all official information should be revealed to the public, while only some categories of information that the State may keep confidential are exempted from disclosure.

Prime Minister Prayut said that information and communication technology had been adopted to disclose official information. He pointed out that the Official Information Act would create more trust between officials and the general public. This would prevent conflicts and enable Thailand to move forward. He referred to the Government’s policy of fighting corruption in the reform agenda. The policy involves the promotion of good governance in public sector reform and the amendments of laws to prevent and suppress corruption and conflicts of interest.

He stated that the Government considers anti-corruption efforts to be an urgent issue in the reform process of all areas. There was good news that in 2014, Thailand's global corruption ranking had improved to 85 out of a total of 175 countries and territories, compared with a ranking of 102 in the previous year. Thailand received a score of 38 out of 100. In the Asia-Pacific region, the index rated Thailand 12th among 28 countries.

Apart from the keynote address by the Prime Minister, representatives from both the public and private sectors also joined discussions on the topic “Information and Thailand Reform.” At the seminar, 105 government agencies were presented with awards for their transparency standards by Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana. On this occasion, the Government Public Relations Department (PRD) received an award as a model agency in establishing an official information center.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-23 footer_n.gif

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has stressed transparency in the administration of the public sector, which would lead to reform in Thailand and the development of sustainable democracy.

Well maybe he could start with himself ... time to stand up and admit that he committed the act of treason for his part in the coup.

You can't have transparency in a country where a few want all the power and all the money. Greed and corruption can only be tackled when those in power, who are the worst offenders, are brought to justice and ultimately serving long jail sentences.

Words General are hollow without the substance of ACTION.

• Like 1

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has stressed transparency in the administration of the public sector, which would lead to reform in Thailand and the development of sustainable democracy.

Well maybe he could start with himself ... time to stand up and admit that he committed the act of treason for his part in the coup.

You can't have transparency in a country where a few want all the power and all the money. Greed and corruption can only be tackled when those in power, who are the worst offenders, are brought to justice and ultimately serving long jail sentences.

Words General are hollow without the substance of ACTION.

OMG - a "democracy supporter at any cost"?

But I agree with your last sentence.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Prime Minister your intentions are good as always.

The problem is that it will take a very long time, if ever, to cure the cancer of corruption from the Thai people.

But a good start, laying the foundations for a sustainable democracy, with less corruption.

I hope that future governments do not only look at the foundations but try to erect the rest of the structure.

I doubt it...... but at the same time I keep hoping.

And my good general, if laying the foundations for a sustainable democracy doesn't work, there is always another general waiting to overthrow the government. Whoever thought a government succession plan meant that Thai military generals were the only alternative?

My god we have them all out collectively on this topic ----whatever you lot feel about the assets of Army/government now, and you may well have an argument, BUT before going always for the PMs jugular, I would seriously suggest you all start to do some comparisons with the last PTP Shin family regime. What has to be sorted first ??? 3 years of complete ###### and try to clean it up or ask about the PMs wealth etc.

Your answers on this topic up to know have not even mentioned the total lack of transparency in Yinglucks P.M. ship.

It clearly shows on this topic you are here to Knock the PM. and totally ignore the what happened before. Out in force --we can all see how you choose the topic to get a gathering.

What became of "leading by example"?

We all think, that transperancy is needed!

But do you seriously believe, that there will be transparancy on all sides, if the cheerleader for that starts by shouting "not me, not me"?!

• Like 2

My god we have them all out collectively on this topic ----whatever you lot feel about the assets of Army/government now, and you may well have an argument, BUT before going always for the PMs jugular, I would seriously suggest you all start to do some comparisons with the last PTP Shin family regime. What has to be sorted first ??? 3 years of complete ###### and try to clean it up or ask about the PMs wealth etc.

Your answers on this topic up to know have not even mentioned the total lack of transparency in Yinglucks P.M. ship.

It clearly shows on this topic you are here to Knock the PM. and totally ignore the what happened before. Out in force --we can all see how you choose the topic to get a gathering.

Kindergarten "but Thaksin!" argument from the brainwashed.

Edited by sundrenched

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Maybe if this "soldier" who seized power from an elected government ( however bad) was transparent with his own very , very considerable personal assets, his words may have some sense and reason.

He and his fellow soldiers have failed to do so, so his words fall on deaf ears.

This soldier is just following orders - have you any idea who is behind him?

The last government was elected but not fairly. If votes are bought it is not a democratic election.

His assets have nothing to do with anything that he is doing. I agree with him - journalists should leave him alone, he is not in it for the money but to save civil war.

I wonder what the Thai intelligentsia thinks when day after day, with a straight face, their nations rulers issue such pathetic statements devoid of all logic, reason and truthfulness, statements which anyone having attained the age of at least 6 can see are completely ridiculous and quite obviously not reality based. How does one explain away the farcical idiocy when in polite company. Talk about loss of face.

Within days of ceasing office this non elected soldier had the chance to show he was a man of his word in tragic circumstances.

Two young foreign nationals were brutally murdered on Thailand's soil, the general has stood back and let the known perpetrators of this crime escape justice, because they are " persons of influence"

He has made no effort whatsoever to bring Thaksin back to Thailand and face justice, to the point of not even canceling his Thai passport.

He has stood back and let Suthep and Abhisit openly defy the Thai justice system on a murder charge.

This man is fair?

Sorry, he is just as corrupt and divisive as the Shinawatra's, indeed I think worse.

Maybe if this "soldier" who seized power from an elected government ( however bad) was transparent with his own very , very considerable personal assets, his words may have some sense and reason.

He and his fellow soldiers have failed to do so, so his words fall on deaf ears.

The last government was elected but not fairly. If votes are bought it is not a democratic election.

His assets have nothing to do with anything that he is doing. I agree with him - journalists should leave him alone, he is not in it for the money but to save civil war.

And Santa will visit in about 10 months time. Maybe his sleigh will be pulled by flying pigs.

You are so right in this ....and I'm glad there is someone with common sense in this topic, the rest are just howling with the pack....and sweeping under the rug the unbelievable super corruption from the previous government....