Transfer of land

Hi

I hope someone can help with this question!

My wife is building a house in Burirum - she has bought the land from her parents but they are saying it takes a number of months for the documentation to go through and it is a complicated process. As such she hasn't received any documentation / certificate etc to confirm the land is now owned by her.

I smell a rat in all honesty! Could someone advice if it does take a number or months or simply what the process is for transferring land ownership from her parents to her - and how long it should take?

Any advice gratefully received.

Dave.

If there is 1 Chanote for this land, it can be transferred the same day you go to the land office. What takes longer is if the land needs to be split up, ie your wife buys 5 rai of land from her parents but the Chanote includes 20 rai. In such a case the land office would have to measure the details on site and then create a new Chanote for the 5 rai. This can take easily 3 months. Hope this helps. Maybe there is another reason for the hold up that I'm not aware. Maybe ask your wife.

This is a great help - thank you - suspect I will end up getting legged over either way but this is the case - some of the land is also going to her brother and sister etc - do you have any idea how much it costs to get this sorted out - the cost the land office charge?

Many thanks again.

Wife paid 3000 baht to the Land Office in Pattaya, they gave her a time & date for their staff to visit.

Approx 7 weeks later they arrived on site as per the appointment. They cut the land in half.

They measured the land and fixed cement markers on the new four corners. They received only some fruit and water.

The land office staff said wait one month and go to collect the (now) two 'Chanotes.'

Hope this helps, but there is plenty of info threads on here if you want ...............

Get a copy of the chanot and have a friend (of yours) translate the last entry on the back of the chanot to see who is the official owner, or whether or not the bank holds it for a debt. Delay in transfer can be due to a number of reasons. One of the most common reasons is the fact that working class Thai's rarely make a will. Therefore a chanot land owner could be deceased and it is then up to the land office and/or courts to determine who are the beneficiaries to the estate. This can take months.

Recently my wife's family have had to go through a process where she hired a lawyer to sort it all out. Not too expensive (c 10,000 baht for the Lawyer) but a drawn out process and a lot of leg work to get signatures from the seven Siblings. The grandfather had died and her dad, the eldest son, was finally appointed as an Executor, to dispose of the Estate as agreed by ALL of the siblings. Signed agreements were made and witnessed and presented to the court as to how all the chanots would be split. The process took 4 months and was straight forward, but, ONLY because all siblings agreed and signed up. One dissenter would have stopped the process. Then it gets expensive!

Bottom line is Dad has to act according to the Court order. He will be the family representative at the Land office to split the chanots as per the agreements made. If he digresses he will be subject to imprisonment. A good system it seems that fits; it is seemingly much more straight forward than the West's version of probate.