How do you buy apps from app store when in Thailand?

Orac

This is probably a daft question but i am having problems linking my new visa card which is registered to a thai address to my apple ID.

I have been using my UK visa card to buy from UK app store while in Thailand for several years without problems but am about to lose the card as they have found out i no longer live in UK. I have tried just putting the new card details in but it needs a uk address and if i change it to Thailand app store it doesn't accept visa card details for some reason.

Anyone have any suggestion on how to get round this so i can keep up with my daughters insatiable demand for new games for her ipad?

Create a new Apple I.D. for thailand , and use your thai visa card

But you will lose all your current purchases. They are not compatible. Even the free ones.

Try this:

Once your account is back to Zero Pounds change the store to Thailand.

Than change your address and all related details.

Try to add Thai Credit Card again.

Is it a Debit card or a "real"credit card? If its the debit card I believe you must enable online purchases first at your Bank.

Good Luck.

Edited by Lammbock

Apple seems to have a rather peculiar rule that you can only use a credit card from a bank in the country you live. Once I no longer had an address I could use in the US and moved my address to Thailand, my US card could not be used in the app store because my address is in Thailand and I could not use the card in Thailand because the card was issued at a US bank. I am guessing the only way around this is to get a card from a Thai bank but that seems rather silly since Apple is the only place I can’t use my present cards.

• Like 1

Apple seems to have a rather peculiar rule that you can only use a credit card from a bank in the country you live. Once I no longer had an address I could use in the US and moved my address to Thailand, my US card could not be used in the app store because my address is in Thailand and I could not use the card in Thailand because the card was issued at a US bank. I am guessing the only way around this is to get a card from a Thai bank but that seems rather silly since Apple is the only place I can’t use my present cards.

The clue is not to change the address in the store and of course not to change the Store from US to Thai. Just leave your US address in and your US credit card and US App store and everything works normal.

But if you lose your credit card for any reason just keep your current store and buy iTunes/App store voucher cards from ebay or Amazon. Usually they send you the code within minutes via email.

The clue is not to change the address in the store and of course not to change the Store from US to Thai. Just leave your US address in and your US credit card and US App store and everything works normal.

But if you lose your credit card for any reason just keep your current store and buy iTunes/App store voucher cards from ebay or Amazon. Usually they send you the code within minutes via email.

Thanks for the idea of buying vouchers online. I will have to look into that. They don’t sell vouchers in the local Apple Shop but buying them online might work.
Not changing addresses won’t work because you can’t have more than one valid address for your credit card and I no longer have access to a US address.

But you will lose all your current purchases. They are not compatible. Even the free ones.

Then my iPad must be broken and working incorrectly, as It was set up on a US iTunes account (with some free and paid apps downloaded) then signed out and back in on a Thai iTunes account so I could ALSO download a few Thai iptv and other apps only available from the Thai appstore.

The 'real' reason I use dual accounts on the iPad is to keep my family from spending my money on stupid apps, so they have their own account.

Then my iPad must be broken and working incorrectly, as It was set up on a US iTunes account (with some free and paid apps downloaded) then signed out and back in on a Thai iTunes account so I could ALSO download a few Thai iptv and other apps only available from the Thai appstore.

The 'real' reason I use dual accounts on the iPad is to keep my family from spending my money on stupid apps, so they have their own account.

Login with your Thai account and try to update your Apps purchased from the US store.

I am sure it won't work.

Login with your Thai account and try to update your Apps purchased from the US store.

I am sure it won't work.

Apple allows up to 5 Apple IDs (iCloud / AppStore / iTunes Store Account) to be used on a single device. Can be associated with other countries.

All downloaded items (free or purchased) are concurrently available.

The caveats are:

You must be logged into the specific Apple ID to download the Free/Purchased content available from the 'Store' associated with that account.

Apps will only update if you are currently logged into the account that downloaded the APP.

Automatic Device Synchronization is restricted to a 'single' iTunes library, so if the current login doesn't match your iTunes library, no automatic synchronization occurs.

IF YOU EVER UPDATE the iOS on the device, all downloads except those associated with the currently logged in account will probably be erased.

You'd have to manually re-download those items once the update completes.

Reference:

iLounge: Using apps from multiple accounts on a single iOS device

iPadAcademy: iPad Tip: How to Change the Apple ID (iTunes Account) on Your iPad

As I wanted to access TWO DIFFERENT country specific Apple AppStores, I don't use the Family Sharing option now available in iOS that allows you to LINK Apple ID accounts and pay for purchases from the primary linked account. I didn't try to see if I could 'link' accounts created in different countries (and having country-specific 'stores').

Reference 2:

iMore: How to use Family Sharing for iTunes and App Store accounts in iOS 8