Using Insurance in an Accident

macknife

This has crossed my mind quite a few times and I've never really worked it out. Couple of things really:

First, If I hit someone or someone hits me and there is significant damage to my bike and other vehicle but no injuries on either side, what is the process? Do I refuse to move my bike until my insurance guy arrives or until the police say it's ok to move it? I shouldn't move it instantly right? What if the other guy drives away, do I still leave my bike in the middle of the road waiting?

What happens if I am badly injured and I'm taken to hospital? Obviously I wouldn't be calling my insurance company, so how and when are they notified?

Does anyone know the correct procedure in Thailand and the do's and don't's?

• Like 1

In the first scenario, if you're blocking the way, just take a bunch of pics and a video and then it's ok to move the bike/car to the side. You can't just block the road till the insurance comes. When the agent arrives just show them the pics. This is from experience with a car, very minor fender bender someone behind me got too close and didn't brake on time. I should probably add this case was obviously his fault and he did not contest that and called up his agent also.

If the other guy is a runner make sure you remember/record his license plate, including vehicle make, color and province of registration. With this you go to the police, file a complaint and submit together with your claim. It's then their job to hunt them down or whatever. This is also from experience with a (different) car and a different insurance co. I also took phone number from a helpful eye witness but it was not necessary (and frankly they seemed a bit startled that I even asked).

With the last scenario of being taken to hospital I don't have experience thankfully and can only speculate so Iet's see if anyone can contribute on that.

• Like 2

I worst case scenario, you are taken to hospital and you off-course has a class A insurance;

Have a sticker from your class A under the seat on your bike and have a paper from same in your valet.

This should hopefully be sufficient for them to find it and you will hopefully wake up at the hospital and be told that everything is been taken care of.

I am only guessing and using common sense, I hope I never find out in real life and same goes for you guys.

In the first scenario, if you're blocking the way, just take a bunch of pics and a video and then it's ok to move the bike/car to the side. You can't just block the road till the insurance comes. When the agent arrives just show them the pics. This is from experience with a car, very minor fender bender someone behind me got too close and didn't brake on time. I should probably add this case was obviously his fault and he did not contest that and called up his agent also.

If the other guy is a runner make sure you remember/record his license plate, including vehicle make, color and province of registration. With this you go to the police, file a complaint and submit together with your claim. It's then their job to hunt them down or whatever. This is also from experience with a (different) car and a different insurance co. I also took phone number from a helpful eye witness but it was not necessary (and frankly they seemed a bit startled that I even asked).

With the last scenario of being taken to hospital I don't have experience thankfully and can only speculate so Iet's see if anyone can contribute on that.

If it is minor, can I go home and then call the insurance company and produce said pictures and videos or should I still call them from the scene and wait?

If it is minor, can I go home and then call the insurance company and produce said pictures and videos or should I still call them from the scene and wait?

If it happened to me again I'd still call and wait. The two agents on scene had some discussion and appeared to exchange some information. I'm not sure what exactly. My agent also took his own pics of the damage and made a kind of carbon copy of the car's VIN off the chassis with a piece of tape and pencil. And I took pics of him doing all that ;-)

It may be possible and acceptable to them to do this process at a later point in time, I don't know for sure, but I would feel more at ease if it was all taken care of on the spot. It didn't take them long to arrive on their scooters.

• Like 1

Always wait at the place of the accident.

Don't move anything until a police officer comes and sprays the white outlines on the road.

After spraying and moving, wait for the insurance agents. They will figure it out.

If you have been brought to the hospital, you will have to rely on the witnesses.

I had this one time and I was lucky all the witnesses were on my side wai.gif

They will talk to the police and the insurance for you. Thais are not as bad as some people make them out to be.

My witnesses were a bunch of motorbike taxi guys.

Insurance of the counterparty paid for everything.

if it is a 1500 - 2000 thb accident, dont waste time and if you think you are faulty negotiate on the spot and pay and go. less hassle. but while handing the money, take a shot as an evidence.

if it is not your fault, wait until police and insurance guys arrive and move your bike when the police tells you to move it. photos might work too. dont forget the take a Photos of the licence plate of the other vehicle.

but best again should be negotiating with the other faulty vehicle and getting your possible expenses in cash right on the spot. Most Thai people do this way and negotiate on the spot as if insurance comes and records the incident, faulty part will start to pay more insurance premiums and if they are drunk etc police can also create problems or basically they dont want to waste their time like you but do not remove your bike until you get the money!

if you are unconscious not much to do as anyway you are unconscious and have more important things to think more than your bike like your life but they also check the cameras around if needed.