Kanchanaburi into Burma, Dayride.

Hopho

Over a decade ago, when I worked for a GO.. I was posted on the Burma/Thai border.. The dirt roads, and hills were an adventure in the 4 wheel drives.. some of the hill were the I'll walk up the hill, if you don't mind. The photo brought back the memories...

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Nice post :-)

Thirteen years ago I accidentally crossed into Burma. We got to the top of a hill and on top of a flag pole was a flag obviously not Thai. Within a minute a small group of soldiers emerged from out of nowhere scaring wifey and a couple of her friends who were whispering "Burmese, Burmese".

I was quite worried when the senior officer asked me for my passport as I'd given it up as security to the rental company in Kanchanaburi. After a few questions as to how we got to where we were I was then told the guys story of how he was educated and then had some military training in the UK and then asked to leave back down the mountain and into Thailand. It was on the way down that we noticed what looked like an overgrown checkpoint.

That was somewhere in the mountains above Thongpaphum. Never been brave enough to venture past the checkpoint at Bong Ti after that :-)

Edited by apetley
  • Like 2

What an adventure--Fantastic

Thanks, but it's just a bit of a short ramble.

When riding in Kan, most people will do the Sisawat loop, or head to Sangkhlaburi and the 3 Pagoda Pass, or I-Thong, after doing those 3-4 times though.... this is just a shorter more relaxed option for a day's riding in Kan.

What an adventure--Fantastic

Thanks, but it's just a bit of a short ramble.

When riding in Kan, most people will do the Sisawat loop, or head to Sangkhlaburi and the 3 Pagoda Pass, or I-Thong, after doing those 3-4 times though.... this is just a shorter more relaxed option for a day's riding in Kan.

I was able to travel on the dirt roads to the Refugee camps, because that is what I rated back in the day.. the road where actually quite beautiful and adventurous. Thus the trails were off road.. YET pretty country in a sad R camp situation.