How do I report a school for harassment and bad behaviour?

KevWaters

It seems to me that nearly (if not) all of those involved in the matter of ''Kev Waters V School Admin staff'' are all severly afflicted by ''egotism''.

There is indeed in the events described a classic case of the immovable being met head on by the unwilling.

Therefore it all is going to end up in nothing for the self professed aggrieved party and all win situation for the school

Egotism.

noun

excessive and objectionable reference to oneself in conversation or writing; conceit; boastfulness.
selfishness; self-centeredness; egoism.
I don't feel like I should "be a man" as one poster says and walk away leaving all the two month salary behind. Meanwhile, I would be struggling to bring up my son in a different Country after paying housing deposits and other settling costs. I think to fight for every baht would be more ideal if it will help us.

If you read that quote from your recent post above you may well come to see the consequences of your actions and those consequences are going to affect others more than you. You have chosen to live in another environment, marry and start a family. Such actions demand total commitment to do the best for your family.Your current ongoing Quixotic tilting at windmills is not going to be beneficial to you or your family.

Move on put the whole matter down to experience and try to learn form that experiences, it's all part on the continuing ongoing learning curve we call life.The thing is now your life isn't your own you have a wife and a child to support, act in their best interests as opposed to your own self perceived interest.You think you can afford your principles?

Ask yourself though can your family afford your principles, will they can they actually stand by you ?

Carry on as you are and as my old grandmother used to say, ''It'll all end in tears.''

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

recom273

Posted Today, 14:29

Is this your first or second gig ?

I just want to say as someone who has been through it before, successful teachers aren't necessarily good teachers, teachers who smile and can play the system are usually successful.

I think you need to find a balance that suits you.

I would say that a successful teacher in Thailand is someone who perseveres every day to actually teach and discipline his students without letting the system discourage or stop him from teaching.

Teachers who give up and only play the system in my mind have completely failed themselves and their students. I don't know how anyone could live with themselves when they have no purpose at work other than self survival in the so-called system, especially when they work in education because it's the students who suffer.

To the OP, you may want to seek professional counseling sooner than later...

What has he done that makes you think he needs to see a shrink? I hear so many pompous posters on here say this many times when they do not know the person or his real situation.

It sucks to be victimised when all your doing is trying to do the best for the students and are the victim of petty jealousy.

yes, a 7000 word letter to a Thai in charge is a bit of a nonsensical strategy, but i guess the guy is still thinking in western mode.

Get a life and stop trying to knock others down. It is painfully obvious you and others like you use the "professional help" cards to try and distract from your own incompetencies and insecurities

The 7,000 word letter was a summary of everything that had happened to date sent by email to the Head of Department. It was not intended to be read by a Thai person but could be relied upon in the future should the matter go to the court. It would be my only real solid peace of evidence as the Thai teachers will no doubt stick together and deny everything.

I agree, it can be frustrating when people talk about shrinks when you are obviously experiencing a crisis at work. I too have seen it many times here so wont take it personally. It is just a way of someone trying to stick the knife in because they are unhappy with the way things are going for themselves. If you see my posts you can see I don't want to be "surviving" at this school forever. I'm battling through until the end of the contract trying to get what is rightfully mine and fully deserve after putting up with so much crap from them over the last year.

I don't feel like I should "be a man" as one poster says and walk away leaving all the two month salary behind. Meanwhile, I would be struggling to bring up my son in a different Country after paying housing deposits and other settling costs. I think to fight for every baht would be more ideal if it will help us.

"The 7,000 word letter was a summary of everything that had happened to date sent by email to the Head of Department. It was not intended to be read by a Thai person but could be relied upon in the future should the matter go to the court."

Dear Kevin,

Is it possible that you all in a sudden have a foreign HoD?. I do not have time to read all posts and replies, but as far as I remember did you make a statement that the one Thai teacher wasn't happy that she/he didn't become the head?

C'Mon, you're really believing that your 7,000 word masterpiece would be read by anybody? It seems that you didn't/couldn't adopt to Thai culture in general and you came up with a topic that doesn't seem to be interesting for Thai students. I apologize if you might think that knowing Guy Fawkes is a must.

I had to Google it, as I've never ever heard about him. Would I work at the same school and see you doing such a project, ( especially after you mentioned that you're employed to teach conversational English) I'd tell you to better use a back up, because it isn't suitable for Thai students.

I did realize that many people do not like long e-mails and a 300 word e-mail seems to be too long for a lot of people, if you could get to the point by using only 50, or so?

If your contract runs out on the 5th of May, they'll have to pay your salary to this day. But you'd made other plans and if there's "an important English camp,seminar, etc going on, they do have the right to not pay you.

That's why it's called a salary and most schools do have extra curricular activities. My 12 months contracts were always okay, got my full October, rest of March, the whole April and the first two weeks of May fully paid. No idea about this year, as I might resign if things do not get better.

Finally you should understand that you're in Asia, neither protected by similar labor laws you've got in your country of origin, nor do you seem to understand that you were the reason for all the problems.

​ Employers usually make their rules and you've signed a contract. Considering that you already had some huge problems in the beginning, it's hard to understand why you stayed at this school.

Most things are different at Thai schools. If they tell you that the whiteboard is black, smile and agree. No need to tell them your opinion. And that seems to be your problem. You've got your opinions, they've got their owns.

But they're the ones you're working for, not the way around. Wish you best of luck and hope that you can adopt to other cultures and just live with it.wai2.gif

Do you have a proper 4 year degree and did you receive teacher training ? Too many, and I know one very well, can't even speak correct English let along teach English. They are here to party and screw the students. My gf got a new English teacher, young English guy, and he is hitting on all the girls. She can hardly understand his English as he has a heavy accent. This guy should not be teaching, Period !!!

OP... You have many bad examples of teachers out there so Thais (other teachers and students) now don't trust the farang and will question everything. Blame your fellow farang teachers if you are doing everything correctly they could be the reason.

Just saying :)

Do you have a proper 4 year degree and did you receive teacher training ? Too many, and I know one very well, can't even speak correct English let along teach English. They are here to party and screw the students. My gf got a new English teacher, young English guy, and he is hitting on all the girls. She can hardly understand his English as he has a heavy accent. This guy should not be teaching, Period !!!

OP... You have many bad examples of teachers out there so Thais (other teachers and students) now don't trust the farang and will question everything. Blame your fellow farang teachers if you are doing everything correctly they could be the reason.

Just saying smile.png

I have a 3 year English related degree. You might not think so from my occasional key slips and heat of the moment rant style of writing cheesy.gif

I get along with all of the teachers at my school, just one has has a problem with the farang each year. Her voice reigns supreme. When the Director makes promises to me, this teacher just cancels such promises. Perhaps the reason she has a stick up her ass is because she knows how much power she has. She was joking the staff room earlier today about me getting a 3 sentence letter of recommendation from her with her name and contact info at the bottom so she can speak to any potential new employers. She joked about this to intimidate the other farang at the school, who she regularly tells "don't be like Kevin".

It's a shame that this is Thai culture like some of you say. Part of me doesn't want to discredit Thailand by thinking that this is the way it must be here. If I do loose this battle at least I can take the experience of how messed up the educational system is and tell some stories about it.

I don't feel the same person after this experience so far and have been taking anti-depressants in the last few weeks as the defamation and threats got worse. Maybe it's finally time to use some of those sick days I have avoided using thus far.

• Like 1

The level of insight shown by the OP into the system and culture here, plus his lack of sensitivity with regards to the topics he chooses suggest he would do far better seeking employment as a crash test dummy.

So yeah, best to get out of dodge... entirely.

7000 words of complaint... in English... in Thailand... to an employer.

Classic.

It was never intended that the Head of Department read the entirety of the letter, that was her prerogative. The intention was to record a summary of the meeting together with all my grievances and attach them by email so I had recorded proof that I had taken issue with the teachers behaviour. Also, her lack of response (which I had anticipated) could indicate agreement of my version of events and help to show the truth in my claim to third parties should something arise (such as dismissal) where I need something to rely on in the future.

The tactic did help in yesterdays interview. The teacher tried to deny what she had said and encourage the Head of Department to agree with her. The Head of Department just stayed silent on the matter, which caused the teacher to storm out.

The summary of the meeting was that she would give me a copy of the warning letter but only if she could send it Immigration and every school in the area too. I accepted. After she left the office, the Director and Head of Department said that she is blunt and says crazy things sometimes. They will now write me a good recommendation letter and urged me to let it all go. I have no problem with that now.

Who pays the postage?

What does it make it h e r business (that you are someone who does what humans do, making mistakes)?

Is she herself without blame and has the backing of the director??

The teaching has ended? Were any letters sent off? Who paid the postage - was it by registered mail? (Something is decidedly o d d about this, JMHO)

And all parties know that you won't be teaching there next term. <deleted>?!?

Why can't the HoD and the director shut this down?

Maybe she had feelings fro you and is now a woman scorned? Or is she a nutter? Usually, this stops when it's costing money.

Just saying smile.png

I have a 3 year English related degree. You might not think so from my occasional key slips and heat of the moment rant style of writing cheesy.gif

I get along with all of the teachers at my school, just one has has a problem with the farang each year. Her voice reigns supreme. When the Director makes promises to me, this teacher just cancels such promises. Perhaps the reason she has a stick up her ass is because she knows how much power she has. She was joking the staff room earlier today about me getting a 3 sentence letter of recommendation from her with her name and contact info at the bottom so she can speak to any potential new employers. She joked about this to intimidate the other farang at the school, who she regularly tells "don't be like Kevin".

It's a shame that this is Thai culture like some of you say. Part of me doesn't want to discredit Thailand by thinking that this is the way it must be here. If I do loose this battle at least I can take the experience of how messed up the educational system is and tell some stories about it.

I don't feel the same person after this experience so far and have been taking anti-depressants in the last few weeks as the defamation and threats got worse. Maybe it's finally time to use some of those sick days I have avoided using thus far.

Kevin,

after reading a few dozen posts, I think you figured things out. Hang in there and collect a salary while you are busy applying for another job. Be that in LOS or abroad. And when the going gets tough, take time out.

Have a good meal, a massage and try to forget what's bothering you at the school.

There are some things which make me wonder.

* your HoD is weak - or wise and she will just shun the crazed hater and ignore her actions?

* would the school support the "reporting spree" against you? The purpose of that eludes me - you aren't teaching any more. So what is it that this woman wants the Police (and the Pope?) to know?!?

Yeah, they are like this. Had a director ask the foreigners to hold some for-profit seminars during their Fall holidays. When that fell through due to no takers among other schools, we had to teach students, while Thai teachers were free to go.

Firings? Hours before the end of the month, some Thai letter gets handed over. Gotta put the foreigner to work till the last minute!

Letting them keep your salary makes no sense to me. Collect your salary, keep your head down. And go get some good reference and have someone else sign it. (Maybe even prepare it yourself).

Good luck!

The level of insight shown by the OP into the system and culture here, plus his lack of sensitivity with regards to the topics he chooses suggest he would do far better seeking employment as a crash test dummy.

So yeah, best to get out of dodge... entirely.

7000 words of complaint... in English... in Thailand... to an employer.

Classic.

It was never intended that the Head of Department read the entirety of the letter, that was her prerogative. The intention was to record a summary of the meeting together with all my grievances and attach them by email so I had recorded proof that I had taken issue with the teachers behaviour. Also, her lack of response (which I had anticipated) could indicate agreement of my version of events and help to show the truth in my claim to third parties should something arise (such as dismissal) where I need something to rely on in the future.

The tactic did help in yesterdays interview. The teacher tried to deny what she had said and encourage the Head of Department to agree with her. The Head of Department just stayed silent on the matter, which caused the teacher to storm out.

The summary of the meeting was that she would give me a copy of the warning letter but only if she could send it Immigration and every school in the area too. I accepted. After she left the office, the Director and Head of Department said that she is blunt and says crazy things sometimes. They will now write me a good recommendation letter and urged me to let it all go. I have no problem with that now.

Who pays the postage?

What does it make it h e r business (that you are someone who does what humans do, making mistakes)?

Is she herself without blame and has the backing of the director??

The teaching has ended? Were any letters sent off? Who paid the postage - was it by registered mail? (Something is decidedly o d d about this, JMHO)

And all parties know that you won't be teaching there next term. <deleted>?!?

Why can't the HoD and the director shut this down?

Maybe she had feelings fro you and is now a woman scorned? Or is she a nutter? Usually, this stops when it's costing money.

There was no postage, not even an envelope. The teacher sat two tables in front of me in the staff office. She turned around and gave it to me on Christmas Day. I calmly said, no problem...I was expecting something like this...but I am glad that you did not ask me to sign it, as I would not since the contents are not true. She taken it back and I never saw it again. I did see that it was signed by the Director and Head of Department. Felt like a right knife in the back having people support her on something they have no idea about, didn't take the time to investigate...and actually really should know is fabricated due to her confessed vendetta. It's even crazier that they now deny it was official and refuse to give me a copy because they can see how sure I am that I can prove it all to be untrue

The Head of Department can't stop the behavour because she is the same age (2 years away from retirement) and they have bad history together. She really needs to keep the peace. The teacher shouted that the HoD will "never be as beautiful, rich or successful" as her when she was chosen above her as HoD at the meeting. The teacher calls the shots, the other teacher unprofessionally complains that she doesn't want the job....actually, I think she does, but says that not to upset the teacher that did not get it.

She didn't know I had a wife and was expecting a son when I came, so who knows. Perhaps. She was very nasty with an older woman before me too...which makes me think that it is just a superiority complex. If she tells me to go get a visa in Laos and I know I can get it done in a day in Bangkok, sorry ma'm...but I am doing the latter. Practicality comes first, even it if means going against Thai culture by not submitting to all demands as some state I need to learn to do.

The Summer camp that has been conveniently planned during my family's visit has now been cancelled. We are teaching one on the 16-18th March. It seems to easy now so I expect there to be much more coming my way, I know it will not be an easy ride through until May 5th. In hindsight I would have gone on October 30th as I had considered doing at the time. Now just got to sail through.

Just saying smile.png

Kevin,

after reading a few dozen posts, I think you figured things out. Hang in there and collect a salary while you are busy applying for another job. Be that in LOS or abroad. And when the going gets tough, take time out.

Have a good meal, a massage and try to forget what's bothering you at the school.

There are some things which make me wonder.

* your HoD is weak - or wise and she will just shun the crazed hater and ignore her actions?

* would the school support the "reporting spree" against you? The purpose of that eludes me - you aren't teaching any more. So what is it that this woman wants the Police (and the Pope?) to know?!?

Yeah, they are like this. Had a director ask the foreigners to hold some for-profit seminars during their Fall holidays. When that fell through due to no takers among other schools, we had to teach students, while Thai teachers were free to go.

Firings? Hours before the end of the month, some Thai letter gets handed over. Gotta put the foreigner to work till the last minute!

Letting them keep your salary makes no sense to me. Collect your salary, keep your head down. And go get some good reference and have someone else sign it. (Maybe even prepare it yourself).

Good luck!

The HoD is beyond weak, it is actually pathetic to witness. She moans to me about how she does not want the job.

The school wouldn't actively support it, but the Director and HoD will sign anything the teacher puts under their nose. That was already proven with the last letter that they said was unofficial.

The English Camp for 30 March until 4 April has been cancelled but I am expecting them to use is in some other way for as long as possible. I've learned from this experience and will always ask how much holiday I will get next time. I was a little naive and taken it for granted that I would get the same they given when they used an agency, and the same most farangs get, or at the very least one month the same as Thai teachers. I was too trusting about that.

They said they would give me a good reference, but the teacher has talked them out of it. That wont happen now, so I'll have to put something together myself. Most of the jobs I am applying for need a reference letter from the Head of Department, not the teacher with the grudge.

I will take the salary, but I think it may involve a claim at the admin court, at least for the part between 30 April to 5 May, which they wont pay. I don't know why they are so reluctant when they are saving 50% of the money they were paying on foreigner salary by hiring us directly rather than using the agency like they did last year. I worked it out that they are saving more than 3 million baht by doing so. The issue here is they think they can do what they want because we are not a big company, and are probably not used to "small" people taking them to court. Best to continue to keep my head down and just issue the claim in May when they fail to make that payment. Not sure whether I will include anything else onto that claim as of yet. I know how the English legal system works, but no idea about what is recoverable in Thai law.

KevWaters post #101

The issue here is they think they can do what they want because we are not a big company, and are probably not used to "small" people taking them to court. Best to continue to keep my head down and just issue the claim in May when they fail to make that payment. Not sure whether I will include anything else onto that claim as of yet. I know how the English legal system works, but no idea about what is recoverable in Thai law.

And perhaps you'll now realise that you are not in the U.K. with all of labour laws but in Thailand.

You are in a hall of mirrors

Your continuing campaign is doing you no good at all, be careful that your wife and her family are not used as a lever and turned against you.

Presuming family maybe are living in the area or even worse your wife has no immediate family near to hand you may well find that someone in a position of power may go and speak to your wife.

Remember also that if you start to seriously upset people life is cheap here especially a farang life, dramatic comment maybe, however you need to tread carefully.

Comments concerning the previous system and your assumption of monies saved may well be thin ice especially if it draws attention to another person (s) financial arrangements and income(s).

Take your own advice and keep your head down then you'll keep your head, walk away chalk it down to experience and your innocence or naivety.

He who runs away does not get hurt.