from IAD....UAL to Dubai or Lufthansa to Munich?

bangmai

and will be continuing on to BKK. I've got a free Star Alliance ticket, and these seem to be the two top contenders, and add UAL to London..all three would put me on Thai the rest of the way. I know how UAL is, and it's not very good. But is it worth going to Dubai? also would save about 20 usd in taxes. If Lufthansa has free drinks I might do that. So basically, how is Lufthansa for a long haul flight?

I'll be the contrarian and vote for the DXB connection for the following reasons:

a. Once you get to DXB, it's only another 6.5 hours or so to BKK. After changing longhaul planes, I'd prefer that the 2nd leg of travel is shorter than the first leg. If you go through MUC, it's about 8 hours from IAD to MUC and then BKK is another 11.5 hours from MUC.

b. Even on an award ticket, you may be able to "buy up" to E+ on United, giving you a few extra inches of legroom. The only way to obtain extra legroom on LH is to score an exit row (hint: check-in online 23 hours in advance of your flight for the best opportunity...that's when you can select seats on LH.)

c. DXB has legitimately reasonable prices on duty free cigars and a pretty good selection.

That said, I've taken many longhaul flights on LH from IAD and would have no qualms about taking them again.

Edited by Diplomatico

Thanks....was looking some more, and just found the quickest way to get there is....IAD to Beijing, 3:45 layover, then direct to CNX. Saves 55 minutes, and one stop...but that is a 14 hour marathon on UAL (same as DBX) and then 5.5 to CNX on Air China, which is just a little bit better than UAL, but it is kind of nostalgic to ride on a jet made the year you were born. That would also give me club access at IAD, (so would DBX), and they do have 1 Dllar beers at the sundry shop in PEK. Taxes: 20 usd Munich route, 5.60 Dubai, 20 PEK, and Heathrow is 56 so that one is out. PEK leaves at 12:30 pm, while the Munich Flight is 22:30. Seat comfort might even be more important than the free drinks. LH is actually a 4 star airline on Skytrax....UAL wouldn't get four * on its best day.

you fly Y-class right ? Then absolutely make sure that the EK flight is NOT on a B777, as those are sardine cans and a thrombose-health-threat with 10 seats squeezed in per row

Actually the Emirates B777's (like most airlines B777's) have a seat-pitch of 34" compared to 31" on other types of aircraft.

As for elbow room, well ...............