Govt eyes spending over 10 billion baht to develop Thai halal products

Lite Beer

I wish I could find something that isn't halal in Australia, Geez I think even my bacon has been certified halal by the Islamic council. Even my good old Aussie vegemite has been hijacked by Islam, we never had to ask an Arab before if it's ok to have vegemite in Aust.

Totally ridiculous comment. Vegemite or any other product hasn't been hijacked by Islam. But if someone wants to sell their product to Muslim consumers they need to be halal certified and it the requirement is considerably more than the heart foundation tick process your descrived of just paying some money and getting an approval.

Being able to sell products in countries with large Muslim populations increases the potential customer base dramatically. And if the manufacturing process and produce handling complies with Halal (and Kosher) requirements being Halal certified offers huge potential for manufacturers enabling increased production and the creation of more jobs.

When the AEC comes into effect next year most people know it's meant to be a unified market of of 6 million people, what most people don't acknowledge is that about half of those consumers are Muslim.

The recent online vigilantism against Fleurieu Milk and Yoghurt Company in South Australia who were awarded a $50,000 contract with Emirates after spending $1,000 on gaining Halal certification highlights the bogon mentality of some Australians.

After successfully losing an automobile manufacturing capability, ignoring a huge portion of the consumer world market for a country where food manufacturing accounts for abut 6.5 per cent of exports already will be pretty dumb.

• Like 1

This process surely increases the 'manufacture' costs and it does provide employment and profits which can be described as discriminatory .

I will never knowingly buy 'halal' items if there is a non-halal product available, it goes against my principles.

You will then have a very restricted diet as anything that is not haram is by default halal so you are restricted to buying various meats and shellfish all fruits , veggies and plant based foods are halal.

Ha Ha, Yes......... and by default these foods are also 'Kosher'.

I was talking about foods specifically processed/slaughtered and certified 'Halal' as apposed to shellfish all fruits , veggies and plant based foods, water, cool drinks, nuts etc.

• Like 1

Its not a scam, consider in ASEAN alone, Malaysia and Indonesia are both Muslim states. That's well over 20% of the ASEAN population. If a company produces foodstuffs and follows halal procedures, they directly tap into that market. Makes good sense.

To follow the procedures the producers must be Muslim so as an industry it discriminates. The little logo thing is, in my view simple (and very effective) marketing.

actually it is not a requirement that the butcher (etc) be Muslim

I was just in our local supermarket and noticed they have hot cross buns on sale in preparation for the Christian celebration of Easter. Yep you guessed it they have been certified halal by the Islamic Council of Australia. Why, how many muslims celebrate the ressurection of Jesus Christ? Could you imagine at the end of Ramadan supermarkets were selling Kanafa with a label stating certified by the Vatican. It would be seen as an attack on Islam.

I was just in our local supermarket and noticed they have hot cross buns on sale in preparation for the Christian celebration of Easter. Yep you guessed it they have been certified halal by the Islamic Council of Australia. Why, how many muslims celebrate the ressurection of Jesus Christ? Could you imagine at the end of Ramadan supermarkets were selling Kanafa with a label stating certified by the Vatican. It would be seen as an attack on Islam.

It's sickening isn't it. Someone from back home told me Cadbury chocolate has the wacko label on it now!

• Like 2

Halal food is a huge market and growing. It will be a worthwhile investment and broaden the export market which helps foreign exchange.

It's a gimmick and a scam, pay some Islamic council huge amounts of money and they will tick it off so you can sell and eat it. What was the world eating before this scam came along? If I kill my pig with its rear end facing in the wrong direction is my roast pork going to taste any different?

Yea right then sell the product overseas to Islamic countries for a high price.

I don't care if it tastes different or not that's up to them, if they think its better then why shouldn't the country take advantage of their "Obsessions"

Tell us who is being scammed and who is benefitting.

The poor bloody animal has the rough end of the stick then the people that buy it thinking it's all good buying it.

As a former employee in a abattoir I've seen a thing or two, but have you seen how these Muslim countries treat their animals before they are slaughtered? makes me cringe...... But if Thailand can get it rightcheesy.gif then there's a load of $$$$$$$$$$$ to be made.

It's sickening isn't it. Someone from back home told me Cadbury chocolate has the wacko label on it now!
Yes Cadbury is halal and thier Easter treats blessed by Islam. Yep Easter has been hijacked by Islam.

Muslims don't have to only eat food with the halal label. Like the red tick for the heart foundation its purely a marketing gimmick for gullible Muslims. There is no such thing as Halal milk for instance unless it is pig milk. They have to watch out for products with gelatin in it. They can read the ingredients labels or play it safe like anyone with a food allergy or make their own food.

Edited by phil2803

Yes Cadbury is halal and thier Easter treats blessed by Islam. Yep Easter has been hijacked by Islam.

AFAIK Easter doesn't belong to Cadbury. In fact Cadbury attempts to cash in on religion by marketing specific products during that time of the year.

Cadbury is (wisely) attempting to market to other people who enjoy chocolate other than just people who celebrate Easter. (what do chocolate eggs have to do with the religious holiday of Easter?) I don't celebrate Easter but do like chocolate :)

• Like 1

I for one are tired of everybody having to cater to the Muslims, Where is the Christian Pray Rooms ?

They only know one thing, "Take over everything, everybody and all the Christian Countries" !!

When they do they will turn them into "Pig Styes" like they live in now, at least most of their countries I have traveled in. If you do not know take a look at all the areas or cities in the US where they have established their roots. Notable exception is Atlanta, Ga.

Co-exist is now a word in their vocabulary.

you are violating forum rule #11!

...overly negative comments directed towards... any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Oh Christ, get over yourself. This forum's raison d'etre is to bash the Thais. What else are we going to vent about.

• Like 1

Halal food is a huge market and growing. It will be a worthwhile investment and broaden the export market which helps foreign exchange.

It's a gimmick and a scam, pay some Islamic council huge amounts of money and they will tick it off so you can sell and eat it. What was the world eating before this scam came along? If I kill my pig with its rear end facing in the wrong direction is my roast pork going to taste any different?

Yea right then sell the product overseas to Islamic countries for a high price.

I don't care if it tastes different or not that's up to them, if they think its better then why shouldn't the country take advantage of their "Obsessions"

Tell us who is being scammed and who is benefitting.

So just who does benefit from a 10 Billion baht "strategy" and how was it costed? Maybe one or two of those expert relatives or is it relative expert (an expert when relatively compared to an inanimate object for example) have an idea?

Don't forget about the primary producers who grow the food, if their export base can be expanded then it will be a benefit to them.

As has already been pointed out around half of the population of ASEAN, (the trade and other agreements with which will come on line this year) are Muslim. To have Halal food to sell to them makes sense, we are also told from research that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world (we wont go into some of the methods of that expansion), again having the food that they want, require, must give an advantage.

There is already halal rice in Tesco, seen it myself and it is at a higher price, asked the lady who was brought up as a Muslim what the difference is, she said no difference.

If some are willing to pay a higher price for a name then why shouldn't companies and the country take advantage of their wants ?

If it takes seed money to encourage companies to produce for these markets then it makes sense to provide it.

How it was costed ? probably by market research by those whoes job it is to know about these things.

• 2 years later...