Reimbursements for public affected by protests being considered

Lite Beer

Reimbursements for public affected by protests being considered

BANGKOK, 28 February 2015 (NNT) – The topic of reimbursements for the public affected by political protests has been submitted for the Council of State’s consideration, said the PM’s Office Minister.

The Prime Minister’s Office Minister Panadda Diskul has revealed that the agenda on the reimbursement measures for the public affected by the political protests has been submitted for interpretation of the related legal articles by the Council of State.

He has said that the reimbursement has been proposed by the President of the National Reform Council’s committee, Anek Laothamatas, for the public affected by the political unrest in 2013-2014.

On the question whether the new reimbursements will follow the same policy as the former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s 7.5 million baht reimbursement scheme or not, the Prime Minister’s Office Minister has said that each government has a different criterion, but the reimbursement will be considered to uphold the fairness in accordance with the Prime Minister’s guidelines.

He has also added that the reimbursements will be available to the public affected by the unrest of all protests, which covers those affected in the UDD protests in the previous year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-28 footer_n.gif

According to some supporters of the previous government when mentioning the daily terrorist attacks there was no disruption to their daily life. They were not "dodging bullets" or affected what so ever by the protests. It was as if the protests never happened. Never mind it was the biggest protests in recent Thai history.

I hope any businesses that were affected get compensation and I hope that the poor innocent victims of the terrorism are also compensated.

If I remember correctly, Lumpini park was were the protestors cowered after being pushed back from all the other sites due to potential death and injury and businesses actually blossomed with food stalls and stalls selling PDRC paraphernalia.

In short, well done to the Junta for compensating those affected, not by the protests, but by the people that violently wanted the protesters to stop their democratic right to protest.

Edited by djjamie

According to some supporters of the previous government when mentioning the daily terrorist attacks there was no disruption to their daily life. They were not "dodging bullets" or affected what so ever by the protests. It was as if the protests never happened. Never mind it was the biggest protests in recent Thai history.

I hope any businesses that were affected get compensation and I hope that the poor innocent victims of the terrorism are also compensated.

If I remember correctly, Lumpini park was were the protestors cowered after being pushed back from all the other sites due to potential death and injury and businesses actually blossomed with food stalls and stalls selling PDRC paraphernalia.

In short, well done to the Junta for compensating those affected, not by the protests, but by the people that violently wanted the protesters to stop their democratic right to protest.

Do you even read the OP's before bestowing gratitude on the Junta? If you had you would realise that the heading includes the words "Being considered". There is a world of difference between thinking about doing something or discussing doing something and actually doing it. There was a PM not so long ago who was considered by many Thais as "only good for talking". I see similarities.

Do you even read the OP's before bestowing gratitude on the Junta? If you had you would realise that the heading includes the words "Being considered". There is a world of difference between thinking about doing something or discussing doing something and actually doing it. There was a PM not so long ago who was considered by many Thais as "only good for talking". I see similarities.

When you're right you're right. This is one of those cases.

Reimburstment is being considered, also method may be different if the government decides. So it would seem we only know the topic has been raised, is forwarded for legal considerations and will follow PM's guidelines.

With some luck the lucky recipients if any will not be asked to sign a document not to sue the current government.

Reimburstment is being considered, also method may be different if the government decides. So it would seem we only know the topic has been raised, is forwarded for legal considerations and will follow PM's guidelines.

With some luck the lucky recipients if any will not be asked to sign a document not to sue the current government.

So having deigned to agree with me you just couldn't help yourself but to try an attempted dig at the last elected administration, could you? Ok, I'll bite (which was presumably your intention as your jibe has nothing to do with the OP?)

As far as I'm aware, and as you keep repeating, those families who were paid compensation for the deaths and injuries to their kin were asked to sign a document not to sue the current government at the time (the PTP). Why do you find this worthy of comment? The current government (at the time, the PTP, and coalition for the pedants amongst us) had nothing to do with those deaths and injuries - it was the former administration, Abhisit and Suthep in the guise of CRES and the Army that inflicted the casualties, why should the following government pick up the can?

......................and seeing that you set the precedent of discussing off topics, allow me to bring up the current regime that forces people to sign agreements to forfeit all their assets for simply discussing politics after being summonsed for "attitude adjustment".

Any comments on that state of affairs? Of course not, you'll say, that's off topic......................................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

So having deigned to agree with me you just couldn't help yourself but to try an attempted dig at the last elected administration, could you? Ok, I'll bite (which was presumably your intention as your jibe has nothing to do with the OP?)

As far as I'm aware, and as you keep repeating, those families who were paid compensation for the deaths and injuries to their kin were asked to sign a document not to sue the current government at the time (the PTP). Why do you find this worthy of comment? The current government (at the time, the PTP, and coalition for the pedants amongst us) had nothing to do with those deaths and injuries - it was the former administration, Abhisit and Suthep in the guise of CRES and the Army that inflicted the casualties, why should the following government pick up the can?

......................and seeing that you set the precedent of discussing off topics, allow me to bring up the current regime that forces people to sign agreements to forfeit all their assets for simply discussing politics after being summonsed for "attitude adjustment".

Any comments on that state of affairs? Of course not, you'll say, that's off topic......................................coffee1.gif

Maybe you're not used to procedures in normal democratic countries, but a government is always seen as the legal successor of the previous government. As such that includes possible guarantees and misdoings.

Your description seems somewhat faulty. Next I guess you'll try to tell me that the PM Prayuth government has no responsibility regarding the 750 billion Baht the BAAC might still be waiting for. Your reasoning would be it to be a guarantee from the previous government and therefore non-binding to the new government.

• Like 2

Our company lost 80,000 inbound visitors during that period with an average of 2000 Euros per head. I doubt that they will cough up any compensation as it would be billions of Dollars and Euros.

I'm not sure that cowering really describes the protest camp in Lumpini Park. You also rather ignore the beatings dealt out in self defence by the PDRC guards to members of the public who viciously assaulted their traffic cones! Weren't there also some killings, people fished out of rivers trussed like turkeys and so on?

But then selective commentary is rather one of your trademarks isnt it

• Like 2

I'm not sure that cowering really describes the protest camp in Lumpini Park. You also rather ignore the beatings dealt out in self defence by the PDRC guards to members of the public who viciously assaulted their traffic cones! Weren't there also some killings, people fished out of rivers trussed like turkeys and so on?

it would seem you describe what happens when anti-government protesters have to stand up for themselves as the police was unable to stop the cowardly attacks in the night on those protesters. More than 100 grenades dumped on them till begin of April 2014. Things like that.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Any comments on that state of affairs? Of course not, you'll say, that's off topic......................................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

offtopic.gif.pagespeed.ce.ifZtFTWxj3Br0M

Amazing how something positive like the "possibility" of people being reimbursed for the effects of the protests can be turned into a negative by some.

I hope the reimbursements do eventuate, especially to the people who lost family members on both sides of the fence.

Have you not noticed by now he is not interested in the subjects of these topics? They just serve as an excuse to post the same recycled slogans again and again in the hope they will stick in people's brains. He has nothing to say otherwise.

it would seem you describe what happens when anti-government protesters have to stand up for themselves as the police was unable to stop the cowardly attacks in the night on those protesters. More than 100 grenades dumped on them till begin of April 2014. Things like that.

you exemplify JAGs point as you state "More than 100 grenades dumped on them till begin of April 2014"

and ignore that many of those "100 grenades" were their own and were used against others. coffee1.gif

Additionally, in the same way you casually justify the military murdering people in May 2010 with 'being met with resistance', you (attempt?) to justify violence by this group of protesters because they (somehow) were not "protected".

The ease with which you defend one side's violence and condemn the other's is remarkable.... sickening, too, but certainly remarkable.

• Like 1

you exemplify JAGs point as you state "More than 100 grenades dumped on them till begin of April 2014"

and ignore that many of those "100 grenades" were their own and were used against others. coffee1.gif

Additionally, in the same way you casually justify the military murdering people in May 2010 with 'being met with resistance', you (attempt?) to justify violence by this group of protesters because they (somehow) were not "protected".

The ease with which you defend one side's violence and condemn the other's is remarkable.... sickening, too, but certainly remarkable.

Rewriting history again, are you TB?

Furthermore you should try to read and understand before jumping to conclusions. I do not justify, I explain why some things could happen.

As for sickening, don't look in the mirror too much, or is it still an effect of those Thai whiskeys you wrote you had yesterday?

Maybe you're not used to procedures in normal democratic countries, but a government is always seen as the legal successor of the previous government. As such that includes possible guarantees and misdoings.

Your description seems somewhat faulty. Next I guess you'll try to tell me that the PM Prayuth government has no responsibility regarding the 750 billion Baht the BAAC might still be waiting for. Your reasoning would be it to be a guarantee from the previous government and therefore non-binding to the new government.

In that case why is the current military regime hounding the previous administration over one of it's election policies. Surely they should just take it on the chin and carry on using your logic? Weren't you one of the ones clamouring to say there hasn't been a democracy in place since Thaksin (save those halcyon days when the "Democrat" government were in place, of course) - surely you don't include this current government as a democracy?

You should apply for compensation yourself. All those extra hours spent on the internet during the protests must have cost you a fortune biggrin.png

Here's my two pence worth. Nothing political.

I would say that businesses in capital cities world wide benefit from additional business from many areas such as tourism, the political class that spend the week in the capital, generally higher populations with higher incomes etc etc. Surely they should take the rough with the smooth i.e. when the people want to protest on a mass scale against the government they will do so in the capital. This is what happens in Paris, London, Washington. I don't hear of other countries compensating businesses for loss of revenue after protests. If there are riots and property damage then insurance should cover that.

I would say that businesses in capital cities world wide benefit from additional business from many areas such as tourism, the political class that spend the week in the capital, generally higher populations with higher incomes etc etc. Surely they should take the rough with the smooth i.e. when the people want to protest on a mass scale against the government they will do so in the capital. This is what happens in Paris, London, Washington. I don't hear of other countries compensating businesses for loss of revenue after protests. If there are riots and property damage then insurance should cover that.

In those developed country there isn't any violent Thai style protest that endangers and interrupts the daily lives of hardworking people, that's ehy unfortunately this country is 4ever in a back and forth brainwashed democracy-illusion bubble babysitting cycle... Edited by MaxLee

In those developed country there isn't any violent Thai style protest that endangers and interrupts the daily lives of hardworking people, that's ehy unfortunately this country is 4ever in a back and forth brainwashed democracy-illusion bubble babysitting cycle...

You haven't seen the aftermath of the riots in London the other year then? They started to spread all over the country. Businesses torched and looted. Plenty of protests turning violent all over the western world.

Most of the western world is living in a brainwashed democracy illusion bubble. We may vote politicians in but they are slaves to big business, the markets and bankers. Show me a democracy where the gap between the middle class and the rich, never mind the poor and the rich, is getting smaller and I will agree that there is a democracy that is working for the population as a whole.

In that case why is the current military regime hounding the previous administration over one of it's election policies. Surely they should just take it on the chin and carry on using your logic? Weren't you one of the ones clamouring to say there hasn't been a democracy in place since Thaksin (save those halcyon days when the "Democrat" government were in place, of course) - surely you don't include this current government as a democracy?

Nice try, my dear, but it was your logic, based on a limited knowledge on legal responsibilities it would seem.

Did you notice the "government is always seen as the legal successor of the previous government" ? Democracy or lack of democracy doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. It's a legal continuity which makes the world go round.

Anyway, we'll see whether or not the current government will come with compensation and under which conditions, or requirements to those who may be eligible.

Furthermore you should try to read and understand before jumping to conclusions. I do not justify, I explain why some things could happen.

As for sickening, don't look in the mirror too much, or is it still an effect of those Thai whiskeys you wrote you had yesterday?

re: thai whiskey, I don't drink it. Reread the post - it's possible to take it the wrong way, I agree, but I wasn't referring to me.

you always deny your own positions when called out on them, so no, not rewriting history or anything. Very tired of your polite, but fascist viewpoint as well.

• Like 1

re: thai whiskey, I don't drink it. Reread the post - it's possible to take it the wrong way, I agree, but I wasn't referring to me.

you always deny your own positions when called out on them, so no, not rewriting history or anything. Very tired of your polite, but fascist viewpoint as well.

Explaining how something could happen is a fascist viewpoint?

PS "Well, I was scratching my head as well, thinking that he is just trolling again, ....

but, in this case, after a couple of Thai whiskey & coke..."

During the PDRC anti-government protests and Junta overthrow of the government, the Thai economy lost as a direct result 2.5%-3% GDP growth in 2013-2014; possibly the same for 2015. That amounts to about Bt800 billion. Will the Thai treasury also be reimbursed for those losses as well? That amount can come personally out of the wealth of Abhisit, Suthep, Prayuth and the rest of the NCPO members. No different than charging Yingluck for the losses she caused.

But of course not. That would require a standard of equality and responsibility. Those are rare elements for the military.

During the PDRC anti-government protests and Junta overthrow of the government, the Thai economy lost as a direct result 2.5%-3% GDP growth in 2013-2014; possibly the same for 2015. That amounts to about Bt800 billion. Will the Thai treasury also be reimbursed for those losses as well? That amount can come personally out of the wealth of Abhisit, Suthep, Prayuth and the rest of the NCPO members. No different than charging Yingluck for the losses she caused.

But of course not. That would require a standard of equality and responsibility. Those are rare elements for the military.

Absolutely. Imagine the tremendous boost the economy would have gotten if only the RPPS had continued and especially if the 2.2 trillion Baht had been borrowed.