Land of Smiles (LOS) or (LOS) Land of Scams

Pik

There are fools in every county, there are misguided individuals in every country, there are those who can be tricked in any society, I have found Thailand to be short on all those specified earlier, but then that could be just down to those I frequent, just like my home country.

You can't fool someone who isn't an idiot, an idiot in Thailand is still an idiot in his home country, don't blame the tool, blame the idiot.

Well...following your immoral logic....a woman raped....she must have asked for it then ?

That was a mighty leap. Are you suggesting women are fooled into rape, or that women who are raped are fools? How is Mossfinn's logic, whether right or wrong, immoral?

My comment went obviously over your head....is okay...

Edit to add...immoral was to strong a word to have written down...

Edited by benalibina

I am happy to see people taking the sides of the Thais here, The bottom line here is scams are everywhere if you let yourself be duped into them, let us not drag the bar girls into this, there is always a trade off here whether its in Thailand or the Philippines or any other country.America land of the free and home of the brave I call the Scam states of America, where every single day some idiot is calling me emailing me too sign up for there online businesses, Oh and American girls, some do crit checks these days on you, and yes they marry for money too. so before many of you have harsh words for the Thais, Be sure you know what your talking about having lived there and many other destinations, I can tell you for sure it takes two to tango, and if dumb enough to get stung then it mainly your fault and not the fault of someone who is trying to move up in life, be wary I am not saying this is right!! its wrong but it happens everywhere and in the back of every ones mind somewhere when they meet a person the question always is,does this person carry a financial burden or do they have any kind of money or can I afford them if you say yes to these questions then you too are guilty if you let yourself get stung by these scams, some are brilliant to say the least, do your research do not jump into anything without knowing the facts and remember many of our old butts whom think these girls love you for your looks are kidding themselves..

• Like 2

Being scammed is not just for the newbie, naïve, old, or suckers...in reality one must be on one's guard anytime baht is involved...

Unless of course you are part of the "Thailand is so wonderful" crowd where the Thai can not do anything that would dissuade them from staying here the Land of Scum...

It`s like this.

I can understand naive tourists and gullible newbies falling for scams from lack of experience, but there are no excuses for those who have lived here or travelled here frequently over a number of years.

The older guys who believe that women young enough to be their daughters or granddaughters will find them desirable for their looks, personalities and charm, those that become involved in dodgy business ventures or can`t be bothered to learn even the most basics of Thai language that need their wives or girlfriends to do all the negotiating while they stand there like a spare one at a wedding not having a clue what`s going on, the one`s that invest or part with vast amounts of money purely on trust, the fools that consider their bargirl lover is different from all the rest and the long and suffering who will ply resources into a relationship even though their partners treat them like crap but refuse to see the reality.

Thailand is no different from our home countries or anywhere else, no matter where we live there is always going to be someone, people or companies scheming to part us from our money because money is the only thing we have that everyone wants.

Being scammed depends on how gullible you are or trying to live the dream denying the

So the answer to the OP is; Thailand is the land of smiles for some and a fools paradise for others.

Good answer but I do not know of any country in the world where these good looking young ladies will lineup and invest. Several years of their prime life in an old farang and cater to his needs for some security later In life. Not all are out to enrich their families, however you will not meet this type in a brothel such as the bars in Pattaya or some low life Kareke bar.

There are fools in every county, there are misguided individuals in every country, there are those who can be tricked in any society, I have found Thailand to be short on all those specified earlier, but then that could be just down to those I frequent, just like my home country.

You can't fool someone who isn't an idiot, an idiot in Thailand is still an idiot in his home country, don't blame the tool, blame the idiot.

Well...following your immoral logic....a woman raped....she must have asked for it then ?

That was a mighty leap. Are you suggesting women are fooled into rape, or that women who are raped are fools? How is Mossfinn's logic, whether right or wrong, immoral?

My comment went obviously over your head....is okay...

Edit to add...immoral was to strong a word to have written down...

Going over my head were words too strong for you too.

• Like 1

Sometimes it is better to keep quiet and let everyone think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and leave everybody in no doubt.

• Like 1

Those that are scammed want something for nothing, scammers give those scammed nothing for something, pray tell that has anything to do with the violence portrayed on a female.

• Like 1

Those that are scammed want something for nothing, scammers give those scammed nothing for something, pray tell that has anything to do with the violence portrayed on a female.

....right is right.....wrong is wrong......instead of focussing on, and blaming....the idiots.....better focus on blaming the evil wrongdoer(s).....I.e. change your mindset, stick to the basics....hence my, maybe too strong,

example. The result in basis is the same ......in seriousness for the future emotional wellbeing, it is not ofcourse.

'Pik'......Its like this, it take a minimum of two people to get scammed.... One to cast the bait and one to take a bite.

Try looking at it this way, maybe its LOS....Land of suckers.

I think it's OK to call Thailand the land of Scams. Not all the scams are successful and some are also directed at fellow Thais in addition to Farangs. I was once told by a high ranking detective in the UK, that if you ever get mixed up with a professional conman, you will not know about it until afterwards.

I personnally know of instances here in Thailand were both Thais and Farangs have been scammed, and they were very nice honest folk,"yes" gullible and nieve, but To call them suckers is a bit harsh.

• Like 1

....right is right.....wrong is wrong......instead of focussing on, and blaming....the idiots.....better focus on blaming the evil wrongdoer(s).....I.e. change your mindset, stick to the basics....hence my, maybe too strong,

example. The result in basis is the same ......in seriousness for the future emotional wellbeing, it is not ofcourse.

....right is right.....wrong is wrong.....

You have done OK there, well done.

instead of focussing on, and blaming....the idiots.....better focus on blaming the evil wrongdoer(s).

I am not blaming idiots, we all make mistakes, I just don't blame others for them, the 'evil wrong doers', wow, for scamming idiots into buying something for nothing.

change your mindset, stick to the basics....hence my, maybe too strong,

example.

Change my mind set, to what yours? No thanks. Stick to the basics, I feel if I went any higher than basics, you would be lost anyway, hence this conversation. Too strong an example, Rape versus a scam over money, I guess I need say no more.

....right is right.....wrong is wrong.....

You have done OK there, well done.

instead of focussing on, and blaming....the idiots.....better focus on blaming the evil wrongdoer(s).

I am not blaming idiots, we all make mistakes, I just don't blame others for them, the 'evil wrong doers', wow, for scamming idiots into buying something for nothing.

change your mindset, stick to the basics....hence my, maybe too strong,

example.

Change my mind set, to what yours? No thanks. Stick to the basics, I feel if I went any higher than basics, you would be lost anyway, hence this conversation. Too strong an example, Rape versus a scam over money, I guess I need say no more.

post-179267-0-60123300-1425251037_thumb.

I rest my case....

• Like 2

Just 'reporting' a small 'scam':

Yesterday night having dinner in a certain restaurant & XXXX Bar (the one with Pattaya bay view, on top of the water... to avoid defaming I can't mention the name 5555).

When serving the food, the waitress accidentally hit the (still 100% full) glass of orange juice (70 baht) of my teerak... all the content spilled over the table.

The waitress cleaned the table, brought a new glass of juice... + ADDED another 70 baht to the bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called the manager: she and 3 other waitresses started debating, then they changed the bill to the correct amount... without saying any excuse.

Well, the waitress just tried (maybe the 70 baht was going to be withheld from her salary ???)

Yes, probably taken out of her salary. My own experience: Tourists are being scammed, swindled and overcharged every day, but an expat should learn from their experiences. Before moving to Thailand 12 years ago I (mostly) trusted everyone until they proved me wrong. After being here for a while I don't trust anyone until they prove me wrong. I have been the victim of minor scams and swindles many times but I learn from each one. Like the sign says beer 50 baht but the bill is for 120. "Oh the cheap beer is only for tables in the back not on the street!" Or buying from the street vendor and then watching the Thai person buy it for 50% less. Or purchasing DVDS and being assured they were in "English and play properly and then not playing on my machine at home. Etc, etc. I still occasionally get caught out but not very often anymore as I have learned to be skeptical of everyone and every thing and to avoid situations in which I may be swindled or scammed. So to me LOS means Land of Scams but I have learned how to avoid most of them and live a good and happy life here. More smiles (for me) than scams now.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. These guys tend to get in non stop trouble because of the foreigners they hang with, alcohol and the places they visit. But you forgot to mention Phuket, Koh Samui and the numerous other shit holes that attract the dregs of society. Lucky for me i am not one of the MOST and avoid these places like the plague . I have not encountered much of any problems outside the tourist slums. You have to also realize the dregs are unable to speak much of any Thai , have bar girls for their so called girlfriends and their life is a constant drama. Often their final days of their miserable lives which they would never admit or are in alcoholic daze are in a hotel room and the balcony calls them to their death. Now Ballbearing the TV STALKERS are going to hunt you and me down. Happens everyday here.

I have worked in construction for over 30 years and I have worked in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, China, Vietnam, Fiji and Papua New Guinea and in all these countries the dregs of society seem to flock to the "bright lights".

Most of the posters on this forum seem to be from Bangkok or Pattaya - the "bright lights" of Thailand.

Is it any wonder that "scams" and criminal activities happen everyday in these places - of course not.

Get your ass out of Bangkok / Pattaya and experience the real Thailand and you will see why it is call the Land of Smiles !

Don't worry Jungle Jim. No one is going to hunt you down. You sound like you are drowning in your own vitriol.

When someone is so happy with their life they spend hours putting others down, that's is when you realize they have a problem.

Edited by berybert
  • Like 1

Just 'reporting' a small 'scam':

Yesterday night having dinner in a certain restaurant & XXXX Bar (the one with Pattaya bay view, on top of the water... to avoid defaming I can't mention the name 5555).

When serving the food, the waitress accidentally hit the (still 100% full) glass of orange juice (70 baht) of my teerak... all the content spilled over the table.

The waitress cleaned the table, brought a new glass of juice... + ADDED another 70 baht to the bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called the manager: she and 3 other waitresses started debating, then they changed the bill to the correct amount... without saying any excuse.

Well, the waitress just tried (maybe the 70 baht was going to be withheld from her salary ???)

Yes, probably taken out of her salary. My own experience: Tourists are being scammed, swindled and overcharged every day, but an expat should learn from their experiences. Before moving to Thailand 12 years ago I (mostly) trusted everyone until they proved me wrong. After being here for a while I don't trust anyone until they prove me wrong. I have been the victim of minor scams and swindles many times but I learn from each one. Like the sign says beer 50 baht but the bill is for 120. "Oh the cheap beer is only for tables in the back not on the street!" Or buying from the street vendor and then watching the Thai person buy it for 50% less. Or purchasing DVDS and being assured they were in "English and play properly and then not playing on my machine at home. Etc, etc. I still occasionally get caught out but not very often anymore as I have learned to be skeptical of everyone and every thing and to avoid situations in which I may be swindled or scammed. So to me LOS means Land of Scams but I have learned how to avoid most of them and live a good and happy life here. More smiles (for me) than scams now.

I could not agree more, exactly my experience and my present mind set.

This is still the land of smiles; it's just that the locals in the areas that most foreigners frequent or reside in no longer give every foreigner the benefit of the doubt as far as class or character are concerned . . . and rightly so.

I hear the locals in parts of Cambodia still prostrate themselves in worship at the mere sight of a white face, though.

WAY OFF TOPIC and totally not called for at all.

• Like 1

Let's see...people come to a country that is 180' off from where they come from and somehow think that they're "smarter"....

NEVER have to look for stupid → it identifies itself.....

'Pik'......Its like this, it take a minimum of two people to get scammed.... One to cast the bait and one to take a bite.

good one

any one that knows thaivisa.com will never be a sucker

therefore only

apples to my post

Or perhaps, Land of Stupid (LOS). A lot of tourists and farang seem to leave their common sense at the immigration counter. A lot of Thais seem to exhibit stupidity when doing certain activities. coffee1.gifsad.png

• Like 1

Thailand ranks #1 for the most largest amount of stupid foreigners in the world. Breaks all records.

good one

therefore only

apples to my post

Or perhaps, Land of Stupid (LOS). A lot of tourists and farang seem to leave their common sense at the immigration counter. A lot of Thais seem to exhibit stupidity when doing certain activities. coffee1.gifsad.png

• Like 1

Thailand ranks #1 for the most largest amount of stupid foreigners in the world. Breaks all records.

good one

therefore only

apples to my post

You can help bring that number down Jim. Move.

• Like 1

good one

therefore only Land of Smiles (LOS) or (LOS) Land of Scams

apples to my post

Jeez another hate post from JJ. Cool it man. Take it easy.