Where to buy quality Cat food in Chiang Mai?

nemrut

Looking for quality cat food brands (Innova, Natures Balance, Wellness, etc) but all major stores only carry low quality foods like Mee-o, Friskies, Royal Canin.

Surely with all the high priced housing geared toward Farang in Chiang Mai, there must be some boutique pet stores that carry high quality cat food?

The Best Pet Shop Chiang Mai sells ANF cat food (on the pack: made in USA).

They have two branches: a) in Star Avenue Project 1 (that's the one nearer (300m) to Super Highway) on Mahidol Road and B) in Kamtiang Flower Market, in the Soi with the Orchids.

They also sell the Purina One cat food (imported from USA); as well as Lotus, BigC etc.

Last year Lotus also sold KiteKat cat food, but in the last four months we couldn't find it anymore.

A big surprise to us was that all our cats love the Lotus brand name Dry cat food Seafood flavour; but they don't eat the Lotus brand name Dry cat food Tuna flavour.

I used to buy the best dog food: "organic, with all the added nutritional fad products. I spared no expense. Then I learned what was really in it; the labeling is not as regulated as with humans.

It's much better for your pet, and cheaper, to cook up some veggies, fish/chicken, and rice, and feed them that.

You make an excellent point.

The fish/chicken/rice diet is what the old Thais in our neighbourhood feed their cats, and the cats thrive on it.

• Like 1

"Looking for quality cat food brands (Innova, Natures Balance, Wellness, etc) but all major stores only carry low quality foods like Mee-o, Friskies, Royal Canin."

This really has the underlying tone of elitism, wouldn't you say? OP, is your cat genetically superior to others that it can't eat normal cat food?

"Looking for quality cat food brands (Innova, Natures Balance, Wellness, etc) but all major stores only carry low quality foods like Mee-o, Friskies, Royal Canin."

This really has the underlying tone of elitism, wouldn't you say? OP, is your cat genetically superior to others that it can't eat normal cat food?

Do you drink water straight from the tap? If so that might explain a lot...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My wife is very careful to wash the cat's water dish every day.

Unfortunately, the cat doesn't give a damn and is often seen drinking from the catch tray under neath plants, mud puddles, or any place wet.

She's been raised on Royal Canin dry food and Whiskas foil pouch food. There is always a bowl full of dry food available to her 24/7, and when she's hungry (at exactly 5pm... ) she asks for and get a foil packet of the Whiskas wet food, a different 'flavor' each day.

She's twelve years old, never been sick, and still very busy playing with toys. Just exactly what is it that paying four times more for 'gourmet' cat food, or spending a half hour cooking would do for her?

Edited by FolkGuitar

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unfortunately, the cat doesn't give a damn and is often seen drinking from the catch tray under neath plants, mud puddles, or any place wet.

She's been raised on Royal Canin dry food and Whiskas foil pouch food. There is always a bowl full of dry food available to her 24/7, and when she's hungry (at exactly 5pm... ) she asks for and get a foil packet of the Whiskas wet food, a different 'flavor' each day.

She's twelve years old, never been sick, and still very busy playing with toys. Just exactly what is it that paying four times more for 'gourmet' cat food, or spending a half hour cooking would do for her?

...and many Farang don't give a damn what they put in their body, often over eating, smoking and drinking too much, too lazy to exercise. Most Farang live well into their 50-60s but often not much much older. Had they been a little more conscientious about their health and what they consumed, they might have enjoyed many more years.

At least cats have sense enough to get a little exercise each day.

And there are smokers who live to a ripe old age. I guess we should shut down all that anti-smoking disinformation.

• Like 1

...and many Farang don't give a damn what they put in their body, often over eating, smoking and drinking too much, too lazy to exercise. Most Farang live well into their 50-60s but often not much much older. Had they been a little more conscientious about their health and what they consumed, they might have enjoyed many more years.

FolkGuitar's post was one of the best in the thread... and you come back with this wacky response.

Have you been smoking some of Precious' catnip?

FolkGuitar's post was one of the best in the thread... and you come back with this wacky response.

Have you been smoking some of Precious' catnip?

unable connect the dots?

Nemrut, can you answer a few questions for me? A cat's diet needs to be comprised of 23 different amino acids, The cat’s body can manufacture 12 of these amino acids. The other 11 amino acids, however, must come from dietary meat and vegetables.

1. Do you know which of he 11 amino acids you need supply when you cook meals for your cat?

Cats require dietary sources of fats, both linoleic acid and arachidonic acid. The requirement of both fatty acids arises from cats’ inability to synthesize arachidonic acid from linoleic

2. What do you cook that provides these two?

Cats are incapable of converting beta-carotene from vegetables to Vitamin A. Additional vitamins and minerals may lead to excesses or may unbalance the diet.

3. How do you insure your cat gets enough?

4. How much is enough?

Many commercial cat foods are designated for particular stages of a cat’s life. Such diets have been developed for groups such as kittens, pregnant and nursing queens, and older cats that may have special nutritional needs. Cats are often considered as being senior at 7-8 years of age and geriatric beginning at 10-12 years.

5. Do you vary your cooking ingredients to suit your cat's age?

6. By what method do you ascertain your cat's nutritional needs?

7. Simply because the food costs 4x more, or the label says it's 'special,' what makes you so certain that it's any better than Purina, Royal Canin, or any of the other well respected commercial brands recommended by vets?

Edited by FolkGuitar

Making your own pet food is the cheapest and healthiest for any pet. I feed my cat "pla too" fish that you see in every market here. Just cut it into pieces with a pair of scissors. Boil some chicken and liver, mince, scrambled eggs, mashed potato, the possibilities are endless and you lnow exactly what you are giving them. I always find it weird that you can buy cat meat in a packet and it never goes off.....

Making your own pet food is the cheapest and healthiest for any pet. I feed my cat "pla too" fish that you see in every market here. Just cut it into pieces with a pair of scissors. Boil some chicken and liver, mince, scrambled eggs, mashed potato, the possibilities are endless and you lnow exactly what you are giving them. I always find it weird that you can buy cat meat in a packet and it never goes off.....

If you are feeding your cat "pla too" which is smoked and salted Indian Mackerel, then you are doing it no favors. Cats' kidneys are easily damaged by salt and shouldn't have any added salt in their diet. Makro sells frozen raw mackerel which you could cook or leave as it is. THis is actually good for your cats. It also happens to be a lot cheaper.

I rescued a ferrel kitten and we became very good pals. I fed her the steamed sardines that one sees in the markets,4 or 5 to a pack, she loved it. After 4 months suddenly she bloated up became very lethargic and within 4-days was dead. I assume it was some sort of intensional cancer but only at 7months old it was rather sad.

Not sure if the fish was tainted or I didn't introduce enough variety in the diet, I bought some canned and dry food from Big C but she didn't go for it.

I have always been a dog owner but since living in this part of the world have grown to dislike dogs and became fond of the cat.

I buried 7-cats in my garden that week, we have a local cat-killer around the neighborhood who has taken on the self-appointed task of ridding the world of ferrel cats through poison, a very cruel way to kill. I ruled out the possibility that my cat had been done that way.

Lots to learn about cat care and they do seem to be very finicky in constitution, perhaps that is why they breed so fast.

Edited by HaleySabai

Nemrut, can you answer a few questions for me? A cat's diet needs to be comprised of 23 different amino acids, The cat’s body can manufacture 12 of these amino acids. The other 11 amino acids, however, must come from dietary meat and vegetables.

1. Do you know which of he 11 amino acids you need supply when you cook meals for your cat?

Cats require dietary sources of fats, both linoleic acid and arachidonic acid. The requirement of both fatty acids arises from cats’ inability to synthesize arachidonic acid from linoleic

2. What do you cook that provides these two?

Cats are incapable of converting beta-carotene from vegetables to Vitamin A. Additional vitamins and minerals may lead to excesses or may unbalance the diet.

3. How do you insure your cat gets enough?

4. How much is enough?

Many commercial cat foods are designated for particular stages of a cat’s life. Such diets have been developed for groups such as kittens, pregnant and nursing queens, and older cats that may have special nutritional needs. Cats are often considered as being senior at 7-8 years of age and geriatric beginning at 10-12 years.

5. Do you vary your cooking ingredients to suit your cat's age?

6. By what method do you ascertain your cat's nutritional needs?

7. Simply because the food costs 4x more, or the label says it's 'special,' what makes you so certain that it's any better than Purina, Royal Canin, or any of the other well respected commercial brands recommended by vets?

You're confusing me with another poster who cooks for their cats.
Unfortunately, I dont have the time nor inclination so the best compromise is to find the highest quality/affordable cat food (ie, low carbs <7-8%, low fillers, less flavoring, etc). These foods have been independently tested/ingredients verified.
Lower quality pet foods (Purina, Sci Diet, RC) contain less actual protein and more fillers like grain, low grade processed meal and artificial flavoring that is not good for your pet.
Just as processed foods sold for human consumption are considered safe (eg, frozen meals, chips, soda, etc) why would you consume them knowing they contain unhealthy ingredients like hydrogenated oils, artificial colors/flavors, high fructose syrup, etc?

The makers of mass consumer products (for humans as well as animals) have way too much to lose (tons of profit) by producing a dangerous product. Sure, they cut corners when it won't be noticed in the product quality, but they need to keep you happy otherwise you are going to switch to a competitor's product. Trust me, I use to work for one of the biggest producer's of consumer goods in the world. We had a saying: "the best way to kill a bad product is to advertise it well."

In the case of animal foods, there have been, at times, problems with the manufacturing process that killed large numbers of pets, but these were accidents.

Still, the OP has the right to pamper his pet any way he/she pleases. If I were looking for specialty cat food, I would ask my vet.

The petshop Rak Sat (located on Superhighway just after Index Mall) carries "Chicken soup for the soul". I believe they've feline range in addition to canine range.

Have never seen Innova, Wellness, Nature's Balance brands in any CM pet shop.

Good to know. Thanks.

This is an old quote from a long dead Expat who died here in the 60's. his name was Sgt. Bilko; "If your cat or dog doesn't eat rice in Thailand the animal can go hungry."

I am quite amazed that 500 hits have been registered to this topic. Lot of time on our hands folks ? A favorite joke of mine. Birthdays are like cats. The more you have the more pathetic you look.

By the way, I like cats.

I had an ex that has a cat. I used to buy it the imported Friskies. It would barely touch it. Got the cheap Meow brand. Cat loves it.

Don't forget that cats, big and small, are the only true carnivores in the world. They get zero nutritional value from rice, vegetables, etc...those products simply pass through their systems without absorption. They only thing they can digest and absorb is...meat. There are also some vegetables (and medicines) that we eat and use that are highly poisionious to cats. They will only eat raw plants occasionally to help them throw up hairballs.

Don't forget that cats, big and small, are the only true carnivores in the world.

I think you've just offended a lot of ferrets. And maybe some other members of the weasel family. You don't want to get on their sh#t list.