Google "News", recent problems loading.

dddave

For quite a few years, my morning online routine is first check Email, then, the Google News app which gives a nice selection of current news stories.

The past week, I've been unable to open Google News 90% of the time, the little circle just slowly spins in light blue mode and the lower task bar says "Waiting for GoogleNews.co.th" I normally use CHROME but I also tried FIREFOX with similar results.

Once in a while it will come right up as it always used to do but very seldom.

I read in another thread that TRUE may be redirecting Google traffic but it has not seemed to effect my Gmail or Google search.

Located in Bangkok, TRUE adsl, HP Pavillion laptop running Windows Classic Shell over non-touch Win-8.

Any suggestions?

Edited by dddave

TOT Fiber 2u customer here. No issues with Google News via browser or android app.

On a Win 7 32-bit Chrome Browser using news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=nn it comes up every time.

On Android, I use Google's "News & Weather" app (v2.2), which gives me access to the same Google News preferences/personalizations I've set when logged in on the browser.

Try using Google's Public DNS resolvers (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) on your router, or forced on your PCs connection.

Part of an Internet connection is the declaring/defining what DNS Server will be used to "resolve" (look up and convert) a text-based URL to a machine-based IP address.

If the DNS Server being used is slow, far-away, congested or dropping data then the ability of your Internet-connected Applications/Services will be severely affected.

DNS, and the DNS info, are normally provided by your ISP. This can be as a STATIC declaration on a piece of paper used in the device/connection setup, or delivered as part of the DHCP process where you're equipment is ISSUED an IP. Subnet, Gateway, and DNS Server IP addresses.

Many Modem/Routers and Internet Devices/Computers allow you to Override and Manually declare what DNS Servers should be used.

If you have access to the settings of your Modem/Router, then look for either the WAN, LAN or DHCP settings to see if manually entering DNS is an option.

Otherwise, you can usually edit the Internet configuration of your user device and manually enter your preferred DNS settings.

If you tell us the name/make/model of your ROUTER or PC we can usually link you to a DIY Guide that walks you through the process.

Sorry for my tardy response, I was unexpectedly out of the country for several days. Thanks R-C for the detailed response. My router is a TRUE supplied ZYXEL with no visible model number, just a TRUE sticker. I have True ADSL (Bangkok) and am using an HP Pavillion 15 laptop running Win 8-1 with Classic Shell. Normally I use CHROME browser.

I do have a TRUE log-in address available.

Recently, Google News has become available again but I would like to explore the DNS settings as you suggested.

Thanks again.

You should not use the google dns addresses as your primary as you will experience problems with CDNs if outside of North America. You are best using trues dns servers in primary or open dns servers, .

Bad advice I see all too often to use google dns. A secondary or lower sure but not primary

You should not use the google dns addresses as your primary as you will experience problems with CDNs if outside of North America. You are best using trues dns servers in primary or open dns servers, .

Bad advice I see all too often to use google dns. A secondary or lower sure but not primary

I would like to ask how using a Google Public Hosted DNS Server mirrored in Bangkok, Thailand will affect how material is delivered from a Content Delivery Network (or Edge Server) deployed by many multinational content providers.

Any articles or papers on the subject?

** For those playing along, an old reference article on CDN (unfortunately doesn't address alternate DNS server interactions). There are probably better articles to be found.

Posted at November 29, 2011 07:15 am by Nicholas C. Zakas

And as per their own page

And I wasn't aware google had DNS server in Bangkok, unless they haven't updated their info again

I've read claims that Google Public DNS can slow down certain multimedia applications or websites. Are these true?

Many sites that provide downloadable or streaming multimedia host their content with DNS-based third-party content distribution networks (CDNs), such as Akamai. When a DNS resolver queries an authoritative nameserver for a CDN's IP address, the nameserver returns an address which is closest (in network distance) to the resolver, not the user. In some cases, for ISP-based resolvers as well as public resolvers such as Google Public DNS, the resolver may not be in close proximity to the users. In such cases, the browsing experience could be slowed down somewhat. Google Public DNS is no different from other DNS providers in this respect.

To help reduce the distance between DNS servers and users, Google Public DNS has deployed its servers all over the world. In particular, users in Europe should be directed to CDN content servers in Europe, users in Asia should be directed to CDN servers in Asia, and users in the eastern, central and western U.S. should be directed to CDN servers in those respective regions. We have also published this information (see Where are your servers currently located? for details) to help CDNs provide good DNS results for multimedia users.

In addition, Google Public DNS engineers have proposed a technical solution called EDNS Client Subnet. This proposal allows resolvers to pass in part of the client's IP address (the first 24/64 bits or less for IPv4/IPv6 respectively) as the source IP in the DNS message, so that nameservers can return optimized results based on the user's location rather than that of the resolver. To date, we have deployed an implementation of the proposal for many large CDNs (including Akamai) and Google properties. The majority of geo-sensitive domain names are already covered.

Edited by jcisco

Again, for those playing along, reference:

Google Products, Public DNS

Google Products, Public DNS, Frequently asked Questions

Hmm.

While Google has offices and equipment in Bangkok, pinging their 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 servers results are 40ms from my current location, whereas DTAC and TRUE are 15ms average. So those google public DNS servers are probably in Singapore (assuming that pings are responded by the same equipment).

So the question begs, where are the CDN edge routers located? Thailand (probably NOT), Singapore, Hong Kong?

So using a Singapore-base DNS probably wouldn't put you too far off, unless the content was in the opposite direction from your wired Network Operations Center.

When I do pure DNS testing against many of the known DNS servers that allow off-network connections, my ISP (TOT) will usually rank about 5th to 10th in a list of 200 Asian servers.

117.121.210.110 (apple.beenets.com) and 117.121.222.222 (kiwi.beenets.com) consistently rank the quickest on my networks (quickest returns, smallest lost requests on resolves). So I'll usually use one of those first, and my quickest/accurate ISP DNS as second on my router.

When I use the beenets DNS servers, or Google's public servers my page renders are fast. Much quicker than when relying on my ISP's DNS entries.

If the OP is interested, they can do their own testing. Changing DNS entries really isn't that difficult or issue prone (so long as the modem/router or Internet device allows it to be manually set).

I wonder what would be a good list of common CDNs to test it against?

Edited by RichCor