Tip For Paying Thais - Monthly not Weekly

Neeranam

I have Thai maid who has been getting 2000 baht a month for a couple of years. Knowing that Thai people think that there are only 48 weeks in a year and me having fast arithmetical skills and being a stingy Scotsman, I thought of giving her a 'bonus'.

Instead of paying 2000 baht a week I'm going to give you 8500 baht a month. She was very happy getting 500 baht a month increase.

2000 x 52 = 104,000 B

8500 x 12 = 102,000 B

Even Thais with degrees think there are 4 weeks in a year.

Knew a guy years ago.....had a young fairly inexperienced working girl staying with him...after a few days he paid her in Indonesian currency.....all the extra zeros maid here real happy........guy ended up smashed over the head......

• Like 2

"Even Thais with degrees think there are 4 weeks in a year."

Never met one who thought there were 4 weeks in a year. But now I've met one TV poster who doesn't know the difference between a month and a year.

Thais think there are 48 weeks in the year - ask you significant other how many weeks in a year.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would anyone take to a forum to gloat over the payment of low wages?

I'm not gloating and 2000 a week is not low wages.

Less than 300Bht /day unless you are also refusing paid days off/holidays.

Edited by nzexpat

So you done a poor woman out of 2,000 Baht.

Congratulations............karma does exist.

She's not a poor woman. She was basically taken out the rice field and given a cushy earner. That 2000 baht makes e feel better as my wife gives her free food to take away, stuff from the garden and expensive designer clothes my daughters have grown out of.

I give charity to others in different ways.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never met one who thought there were 4 weeks in a year. But now I've met one TV poster who doesn't know the difference between a month and a year.

Thais think there are 48 weeks in the year - ask you significant other how many weeks in a year.

Just asked her .

She said "don't you know"?

I replied, "yes I do but someone posting on TV believes Thais don't know! "

Her reply " Typical ! Is it a Frarang? Tell whoever,they are a *********************** . The Farang can count the weeks on a calender so can Thais "

• Like 1

Just asked her .

Her reply " Typical ! Is it a Frarang? Tell whoever,they are a *********************** . The Farang can count the weeks on a calender so can Thais "

So what number did she up with? My wife didn't know, even my Boss didn't know and ALL the Thais, unless they've been educated abroad, I have asked said 48.

• Like 1

9k a month is minimum wage.

Based on how many days?

It's based on 30 days, which you are required to pay after the 90 (120?) day probation. So a full time employee that works 5 days a week is paid for 30 days, the same as someone who works 6 days a week.

But of course you already know all of this.

It could be 500 weeks a year, it makes no difference because she should be getting paid every 4 weeks.

8500 big ones.

Just asked her .

So what number did she up with? My wife didn't know, even my Boss didn't know and ALL the Thais, unless they've been educated abroad, I have asked said 48.

My wife also said don't know but have 12 months in a year and every month have 4 weeks

so 12 * 4 = 48 weeks in a year.

I asked, how many days in a year, 365 she said, so 365 / 7 = 52.1 weeks

52 weeks and a little bit which we fix with 29 days in February every 4 years..

OK she said,only February have 28 days, all the other months have 2 or 3 more days.

A bit like pulling teeth and I expect that by tomorrow it will be 48 weeks per year again as you originally said.

(Battelly in head, mot leao!)

I did think is was funny that you posted 2,000 / month and conned her into accepting 8,500 / month. LOL

and I love the posts that chastise you for conning your maid!

(They ain't got no sense of humour and they Tink too mut! LOL)

• Like 1

You're paying her 4 weekly not calendar monthly.

Jeez tighter than 2 coats of paint.

Paying 4 weekly = 13 payments per year. I do not agree with the OP miserliness but you need to brush up on your math.