Repatriating human remains to Thailand.

sipi

Does anyone have personal practical experience in taking ashes to Thailand?

Our friend Aiew will be carrying her Grandmas remains from Rockhampton to Brisbane on Qantas. Brisbane to Bangkok on Thai Airways. Then Bangkok to Chaing Mai on Thai Airways.

The ashes are in a sealed labeled container. She has a letter from the funeral home stating all the details.

Does she need anything else? Official paperwork etc?

My guess that is about it. Our airline requires cremated human remains to be in a sealed non-metallic TSA approved container. Accompanied with death certificate or transit/removal permit as required by various state laws.

My guess that is about it. Our airline requires cremated human remains to be in a sealed non-metallic TSA approved container. Accompanied with death certificate or transit/removal permit as required by various state laws.

Thank-you. Would a transit/ removal permit include an A4 letter from the funeral home? The letter is in English, however it is quite inclusive and explanatory.

I believe getting it out of Australia isn't a problem, but am unsure about getting it into Thailand.

The bottom line is, Aiew speaks little English but her Thai is articulate (Well she is, after all Thai). I guess she can sort the other end out when she gets there.

Thanks again.

I brought my late husband's ashes over 8 years ago as he wanted to be scattered in the Chao Praya in Bangkok. I had them (not quite all as too much) in a stainless steel container in my hold luggage.

Nothing ever questioned and presumably the container didn't ring any warnings when x-rayed. Wasn't actually aware there were regulations for ashes. Bodies in coffins I understand, but ashes...

• Like 1

Sorry but my manuals do not cover regulations pertaining to import of cremated HR to Thailand. Hardly ever check my bags when arriving anyway. Best to check with Quantas, and the relevant Aussie security authority to avoid any boarding issue.

http://tsanewsblog.com/3741/news/tsa-agent-spills-cremation-ashes-laughs-about-it/

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

Hi guys

bought my mum back 3 years ago to rsa, you need a death certificate and "an out of england form" which the undertaker will provide. Carry the remains in hand luggage

when you get to customs or immigration present the paper first before luggage check, tell them its remains and you will be treated so fast that you would think you have ebola

regards

• Like 2

Hi guys

bought my mum back 3 years ago to rsa, you need a death certificate and "an out of england form" which the undertaker will provide. Carry the remains in hand luggage

when you get to customs or immigration present the paper first before luggage check, tell them its remains and you will be treated so fast that you would think you have ebola

regards

I really don't think they will need "an out of England form" ..... maybe "an out of Australia form"? whistling.gif

Hi guys

regards

You took back your mum, not her ashes. I don't think you need anything at all to bring in a packet of ashes.

Like most everything else, would you need a Thai translation?

I had a look at another forum without posting and someone mentioned needing an importers licence. I found that hard to believe and hence opened this thread. My gut feeling is that she will be ok. What can they do, confiscate them?

Thanks again.

Sorry but my manuals do not cover regulations pertaining to import of cremated HR to Thailand. Hardly ever check my bags when arriving anyway. Best to check with Quantas, and the relevant Aussie security authority to avoid any boarding issue.

http://tsanewsblog.com/3741/news/tsa-agent-spills-cremation-ashes-laughs-about-it/

This article states that a letter from the undertaker isn't enough. I'll see if she can get a death cert also, and the idea of getting it translated into Thai sounds good. She is running out of time, leaves in a few days.

I would have thought that the bereavement package received from the Thai embassy in Oz explained everything; assuming of course that the deceased remained a Thai national & that they had been formally notified?

HTH

Edited by evadgib

I would have thought that the bereavement package received from the Thai embassy in Oz explained everything; assuming of course that the deceased remained a Thai national & that they had been formally notified?

HTH

Thanks evadgib.

No, the deceased has been in Australia for over 30 years and had to denounce her Thai nationality under the then government to become an Australian citizen. She was, at the time married to an Aussie, and that was the requirement. Thankfully it has since changed. Both my son and wife have dual citizenship.

I believe she was in the process of regaining her Thai citizenship once she became ill, but her health deteriated so rapidly that she passed away before the paperwork was sorted.

So by all definitions, unfortunately she is an alien.

And furthermore, she didn't have a single relative in Australia. We took her in as family, but understandably have no legal rights. Her Grand-daughter, a Thai national, has gone to Australia to try and sort this mess out. She also has real-estate and other assets which are being sorted also.

There is a warning to Thai ladies about following their dreams and relocation overseas...But that is another story...

Edited by sipi
  • Like 1

Who is the Executor of the Will?

The Death Certificate is sent to the Executor after about a month after funeral..

I presume she made a Will...

Im surprised she didnt have a Power of Attorney once she become sick...and even had made someone Executor?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

Who is the Executor of the Will?

The Death Certificate is sent to the Executor after about a month after funeral..

I presume she made a Will...

Im surprised she didnt have a Power of Attorney once she become sick...and even had made someone Executor?

She has a copy of the Death Cert now. Too late to get it translated, but better than nothing. I will post how it all went when she gets home.

• Like 1