There's such thing as free lunch

Thaivisa News

Nakhon Si Thammarat:- A billionaire has been cooking food to feed hundreds of low-income people in her hometown almost every day.

“I am happy handing out free food,” says 61-year-old Ampapan Amornwanich from Nakhon Si Thammarat province.

Not only that she has paid no less than Bt100,000 a month for food ingredients, but she has also actively prepared the food herself.

“At first, my son didn’t want me to do this out of concerns that I would be exhausted. But after I explained to him that such charity activities make me happy, he has even helped with food preparation,” the billionaire says.

Ampapan owns several companies. Together, her family businesses are worth billions of baht. So in front of her family’s large fabric store the province's Mueang district, Ampapan has no problems giving away 300 lunch boxes six days a week. While Ampapan has changed the menu every day, most dishes are vegetarian. For example, she offered boil eggs with rice, spicy paste and vegetables the other day.

Recipients of her generosity are low-income people, who are full of praise. They say she does not simply hand out food, but she also pays caring attention to them. If their family is in trouble, she takes note and offers some cash to help them out.

Ampapan, now a widow, has given away free food for about three years now. Her inspiration? “I think I have already received so much from the society. So, I want to repay,” she says.

Well done to Ampapan Amornwanich. Great to see wealth being used to help the less fortunate in society. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7

Far more beneficial than "buying" merit from local temple.

Bravo to that........I'm certain that the spiritual powers that be would honestly see far more merit making from this act by this woman than most anything else. She has enough & she is happy to share with those that don't. To many people out there, enough is never enough. wai.gif

• Like 1

Wonder how much tax she has actually paid.

I couldn't care less, but she's to be commended for helping those less fortunate with her own money. It's obvious the government, who might have been the recipient of any taxes, would not have done much to help the poor.

• Like 1

If she managed to minimise her tax and paid out monies to help the "poor" then that is better than giving it to the Government to squander. whistling.gif A pity that more wealthy Thais have not followed her lead, hopefully some do.

There are some "different" Thais out there that they care for others.

Not many, but they do exist.

Well done Khun Ampapan, keep up the good work.

I'm interested to know what percentage of the 80,000,000 Thais you know personally to know there 'aren't many of them' ?

There are plenty of them that they care for others, but not so many are filthy rich. Good for you Khun Ampapan!

• Like 1

If she managed to minimise her tax and paid out monies to help the "poor" then that is better than giving it to the Government to squander. whistling.gif A pity that more wealthy Thais have not followed her lead, hopefully some do.
Can you think of a single country in the world with "low taxes" with a high standard of living?

And before you mention that strategically located city-state called Singapore, Remember that taxes are only low there IF YOU DON'T GET SICK.

If you get sick in Singapore, you'll end up paying up to 65% of your income:

http://thehearttruths.com/2013/08/16/are-taxes-in-singapore-really-low/

Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch, 555

Edited by SiSePuede419

Good on her, really, but I wonder what the local food vendors think.

If she ensures that it is the truly poor who would otherwise not be buying food, that's great, but this sort of charity can have negative ripple effects because people being people, even those that can afford to buy will take a free hand-out, and that lowers the income of the vendors.