Colonoscopy - A Recommendation

lovetotravel

I finally got around to doing this, after having put if off for many years. Not a fun procedure. I chose Phya Thai hospital in Sri Racha, mainly because of Gavin Wadell. He's wonderful to work with.

They do things a bit differently than other hospitals, perhaps. You come in early the day of the procedure and are given a private room with a toilet for the "cleansing" process. The day before is a water diet. After you are cleaned out, they take you over to a room nearby for the procedure. Gavin recommended Dr. Jitlada. Her English is perfect and she knows her job well. I was very impressed. Total cost was somewhere around 20k. Could be a bit more or less. I also had an endoscopy. So my procedure was a bit more.

Anyway, for any of you thinking about this procedure, I can give these guys a big thumbs up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I have thought about doing it for a while but have hesitated since it sounds like such an invasive procedure. Do you mind sharing your experience?

Am now in my 70's and have had them done about every 5 years. The worst part is drinking the vile liquid they give you for cleansing the previous day. The day of the procedure is a piece of cake---they put you out and the procedure is over in no time. Had it done at BHP and they a "special" on it at the time---turned out to be 16,000---cheap and money very well spent.

• Like 1

These guys use to give you the stuff you drank the day before to get you cleaned out. Problem was, many came in for the procedure and weren't completely ready. So, enemas has to be done or whatever. Not a great thing to have to do, especially with a hurting bum.

I have to say, I liked this way better. I'm not sure I'd want to go through that intense clean out at home. And then have to wait all night for the procedure the next day. I got in at 8am, given a few liters of stuff to drink, and was wheeled into the procedure room around 1:30. Fully cleaned out.

The private room was nice. A bed, toilet and sink. And a bum gun! Great as no paper was needed. They came in and checked things and when you were running clear, off you went! I was out for the procedure, so have no idea of the discomfort.

Afterwards, I was a bit shaky, but not too bad. Hungry, but could only eat a bit. The next day I was pretty much back to normal. They recommended not driving after the procedure, so I had a driver take me up there and back.

I'm sure Bumrungrad would be great also. I've been there a few times and have always had a good experience. Though they aren't necessarily cheap.

Again, one of the benefits is Gavin. He's right on top of things. There when you check in, there when you check out to make sure all's well. Great for following up.

Overall, the worst part of this was the anxiety the week before! LOL

FYI, they found some polyps. Did an analysis and all came back negative for cancer. Yahoo!!

• Like 1

I remember to have read somewhere that at Bumrungrad colonoscopy could be done by swallowing a capsule with monitoring technology which would go through your digestive system and then show on a PC if everthing is OK. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

I had the procedure done recently at the Bangkok Hospital Phuket, and it was a breeze.

The colorectal unit has recently been opened and the doctor in charge speaks very good English and is a pleasure to deal with, as are his staff.

Followed the instructions for the diet the day prior to the procedure and took the medicine in the evening and I can assure you that I was well cleaned out come midnight!!!!!

The procedure was carried out at around 9 a.m. the next morning and consisted of a general checkup, a few questions and the signing of a form, followed by a small sedative administered to the back of the hand and the procedure was carried out whilst I was asleep.

About an hour later I was fully recovered and received the report from the doctor as well as having a chat – – all clear and no polyps or anything, so down to the hospital cafeteria for a much-needed cup of tea and a sandwich.

I have had this procedure done about once every five years and it really is a breeze and nothing to worry about whatsoever, so I would recommend it to anyone who is considering. No pain, no after-effects and peace of mind, all for around 13 to 14,000 baht.

• Like 1

These guys use to give you the stuff you drank the day before to get you cleaned out. Problem was, many came in for the procedure and weren't completely ready. So, enemas has to be done or whatever. Not a great thing to have to do, especially with a hurting bum.

I have to say, I liked this way better. I'm not sure I'd want to go through that intense clean out at home. And then have to wait all night for the procedure the next day. I got in at 8am, given a few liters of stuff to drink, and was wheeled into the procedure room around 1:30. Fully cleaned out.

The private room was nice. A bed, toilet and sink. And a bum gun! Great as no paper was needed. They came in and checked things and when you were running clear, off you went! I was out for the procedure, so have no idea of the discomfort.

Afterwards, I was a bit shaky, but not too bad. Hungry, but could only eat a bit. The next day I was pretty much back to normal. They recommended not driving after the procedure, so I had a driver take me up there and back.

I'm sure Bumrungrad would be great also. I've been there a few times and have always had a good experience. Though they aren't necessarily cheap.

Again, one of the benefits is Gavin. He's right on top of things. There when you check in, there when you check out to make sure all's well. Great for following up.

Overall, the worst part of this was the anxiety the week before! LOL

FYI, they found some polyps. Did an analysis and all came back negative for cancer. Yahoo!!

I go to India for stuff like this,was about $50 for both ends,knocked out or awake (throat no) polyp analysed for about $13 each one removed. Yes doc informed me westerners take up to two days to clear the pipes. Gave hospital notice of arrival,within 30 minutes up operated on and off on bike,felt a bit of a heel getting in front of everybody else

Was about three years ago no,so due for another procedure,but having heart echo tested £ 140 here in Thailand,£10 there then half hour with cardiologist.Get blood testing ,buy the medicines a lot cheaper Yes have to get flight but monsoon fares are cheap bout 60 GBP return at times

• Like 1

I don't know why they sedate for colon scan,bit uncomfortable ,but no pain no nerve endings in the colon. Fascinating to watch as the camera goes up,then polyp seen,out comes the grabber,a splash of blood on the lens,then 5 days for results. Down the throat different matter HH seen but leave alone

I have been awake through four colonoscopies in Japan and don't want to be awake for any more. It is so much less streesful if you're asleep for the procedure. Why endure looking at your colon for 30-40 minutes if you don't have to. My colon is extra long so it is hard to clean it out with just the laxatives that I'm given and I appreciate being given the enemas here in Thailand. In Japan, they just send you home if you are not sufficiently clear to go through the whole thing again. I learned to take extra laxatives and give myself enemas at home so that I could be examined. So far as sticking a water hose up your butt, that is very dangerous. A rupture in your colon can result in sepsis which is life threatening.

• Like 1

I got mine at a good public hospital for way less. It is really not much more or different than the annual prostate checkup. It is a standard mass procedure and not rocket science. I even got my very dvd. I m sure I could recoup some expenses by selling copies at the entrance of boyz-town :)

So no reason WHATSOEVER not to do it. That and prostate cancer are 2 major killers of men and are perfectly avoidable. if you do not want to spend a lot, pick a good provincial hospital and save nice money.

• Like 2

Quote lovetotravel; "I also had an endoscopy. So my procedure was a bit more".

I hope they changed the exploratory tube between procedures!!!!!

Is there anything wrong then with some gastric acid up your rectum? giggle.gif

Was a little concerned that the colonoscopy might have been first!!!!

• 3 years later...