Standard STI Screening in Bangkok

DumbFarang

Hello. My girlfriend and I would like to start having sex without a condom, and so we would like to each get an STI screening first. What are the recommended clinics in Bangkok for reliable, affordable screening of not only HIV, but other common STIs such as Hepatitis, HPV, Gonorrhea, etc.?

Thanks very much,

DF

Bangkok for reliable, affordable screening of not only HIV, but other common STIs such as Hepatitis, HPV, Gonorrhea, etc.?

Reliable and affordable don't always co-exist. Why not go to a proper hospital with a proper lab? Depending on what you consider "affordable," most hospitals won't be that expensive for this fairly common screening.

Maybe I'll be the sole dissenter, but I suggest avoiding the Red Cross if you're looking for more than an HIV and/or syphilis test. My girlfriend and I were in the same position as you and yours so we went to the Red Cross last December based on the what I read on this forum and others. I was extremely disappointed and here's why:

1. I was told that unless I had "symptoms" I could not have a standard STI screening, only an HIV and syphilis screening.

2. Because I stated I had no obvious symptoms, I was told with absolute certainty that I didn't have an STI!!! I asked if it's possible to have an STI without symptoms and I was told NO!!!

3. I quickly pulled up WebMD and the Mayo Clinic webpages for STIs and showed it to the counselor or physician. She became agitated with me and said it's possible but statistically unlikely. I asked 80%, 90% or what? I wasn't given a response.

4. I asked the person (located on the second floor offices who does the initial Q&A) for her credentials as I wanted to know if she was a doctor or counselor. She refused to tell me. She then told my girlfriend that I was asking too many questions so my girlfriend started to retort her responses. Grudgingly, she conceded to offer a "urine or blood" test but we would have to wait 3 WEEKS for the results. She couldn't tell us which specific test (urine or blood) would be administered.

5. I asked to see a different doctor if, in fact, she was one. I was told, just like with STIs, I couldn't see a doctor at the Men's Clinic unless I had symptoms. I asked "if I lie and say Yes, can I see the doctor?" She responded YES!!!

6. They use a large gauge needle which left a small bruise on me and an extremely large and ugly bruise on the girlfriend that went to upper forearm. It took mine a week to dissipate while over 2 weeks for her. I typically don't bruise from blood draws so I won't say that the bruising was due to personal issues. She said she's never bruised like that before.

Because of this, I will now tell others to go elsewhere if this unlikely conversation "pops up." However, for an HIV and syphilis test you can't go wrong with a turn around time of an hour or less and small fee. I had a fee for 20B for the medical card and, if I remember correctly, 300B for the HIV and syphilis tests. The HIV test is FREE for Thais (with ID, of course, despite being an "anonymous clinic") while the syphilis test, regardless of nationality, is only a mere 100B.

I suggest going to a local hospital to cater to your needs unless you and your girlfriend want to lie about having STI symptoms and willing to risk an unsightly bruise from the large needle. These are just my opinions based on a 1 time visit, so take them as you wish.

Please report the facility and pricing if you choose to go elsewhere as many of us would like to know.

• Like 1

The Red Cross clinic will conduct a full battery of tests if required. Results in 30 minutes. Get there early and avoid the queues.

"If required" are the key words here and that means if you have symptoms. If you're asymptomatic, good luck obtaining those tests at the Red Cross.

Hi Thanyaburi. I did read that post before posting. It is only about HIV though, so I wanted to make sure I found some information that dealt with the other STIs we want to get screened for as well.

Thanks,

DF

If you want a full range of tests I would be inclined to use Hospital. All main Thai national hospitals have clinics for STI's ask on reception and they give you

price and point you in right direction.

OR

There are some proper Lab/Clinics in most cities. I would not use any of the ones that have a list in their windows.

Maybe I'll be the sole dissenter, but I suggest avoiding the Red Cross if you're looking for more than an HIV and/or syphilis test. My girlfriend and I were in the same position as you and yours so we went to the Red Cross last December based on the what I read on this forum and others. I was extremely disappointed and here's why:

1. I was told that unless I had "symptoms" I could not have a standard STI screening, only an HIV and syphilis screening.

2. Because I stated I had no obvious symptoms, I was told with absolute certainty that I didn't have an STI!!! I asked if it's possible to have an STI without symptoms and I was told NO!!!

3. I quickly pulled up WebMD and the Mayo Clinic webpages for STIs and showed it to the counselor or physician. She became agitated with me and said it's possible but statistically unlikely. I asked 80%, 90% or what? I wasn't given a response.

4. I asked the person (located on the second floor offices who does the initial Q&A) for her credentials as I wanted to know if she was a doctor or counselor. She refused to tell me. She then told my girlfriend that I was asking too many questions so my girlfriend started to retort her responses. Grudgingly, she conceded to offer a "urine or blood" test but we would have to wait 3 WEEKS for the results. She couldn't tell us which specific test (urine or blood) would be administered.

5. I asked to see a different doctor if, in fact, she was one. I was told, just like with STIs, I couldn't see a doctor at the Men's Clinic unless I had symptoms. I asked "if I lie and say Yes, can I see the doctor?" She responded YES!!!

6. They use a large gauge needle which left a small bruise on me and an extremely large and ugly bruise on the girlfriend that went to upper forearm. It took mine a week to dissipate while over 2 weeks for her. I typically don't bruise from blood draws so I won't say that the bruising was due to personal issues. She said she's never bruised like that before.

Because of this, I will now tell others to go elsewhere if this unlikely conversation "pops up." However, for an HIV and syphilis test you can't go wrong with a turn around time of an hour or less and small fee. I had a fee for 20B for the medical card and, if I remember correctly, 300B for the HIV and syphilis tests. The HIV test is FREE for Thais (with ID, of course, despite being an "anonymous clinic") while the syphilis test, regardless of nationality, is only a mere 100B.

I suggest going to a local hospital to cater to your needs unless you and your girlfriend want to lie about having STI symptoms and willing to risk an unsightly bruise from the large needle. These are just my opinions based on a 1 time visit, so take them as you wish.

Please report the facility and pricing if you choose to go elsewhere as many of us would like to know.

the red cross does not seem to be in the money making business which is why they may not seem to be a your wish is our command concierge hotel/clinic.

they do have a very solid reputation for what they do do. blood drawing is standardized using a vacuum blood collecting tube, holder and needle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmBWWygX_s in a small % a smaller gauge needle may be used but it is the exception.

occasionally people can and do bruise from it and this can and does happen in EVERY locale blood is drawn across the world.

with absolute certainty such bruising also occurs at fancy vip hospitals and clinics regardless of how much or how little you pay.

your argument to avoid a place that causes bruising is therefore applicable to all clinics/hospitals, medical offices.

• Like 1

the red cross does not seem to be in the money making business which is why they may not seem to be a your wish is our command concierge hotel/clinic.

they do have a very solid reputation for what they do do. blood drawing is standardized using a vacuum blood collecting tube, holder and needle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmBWWygX_s in a small % a smaller gauge needle may be used but it is the exception.

occasionally people can and do bruise from it and this can and does happen in EVERY locale blood is drawn across the world.

with absolute certainty such bruising also occurs at fancy vip hospitals and clinics regardless of how much or how little you pay.

your argument to avoid a place that causes bruising is therefore applicable to all clinics/hospitals, medical offices.

You're missing the big picture here! You can try and dissect my observations all you want but there's more to my post than just bruising. Although the Red Cross is doing a great service to those that have the testing done, having an employee suggest in a matter of fact way that STIs are only present when symptomatic is dangerous to the person being tested and beyond. Do you have an explanation for that and a video that explains why they take that approach? If they don't want to do it because they're not in the "money making business," so be it, but at least be upfront and honest about it and recommend to the person that they go elsewhere rather than telling them they don't have an STI. That's just poor medical advice and something I didn't expect to receive from the Red Cross.

Regarding the bruising, you're correct that it can occur in any medical facility but the extent of the bruising can be potentially mitigated to a certain extent. I understand that correlation doesn't equal causation, but I feel the outcome might have been a result of technique rather than the procedure itself. Maybe we had a poor phlebotomist or just a bad day.

My argument was, and still is, if you're looking for a cheap HIV and syphilis test go to the red cross, if you're looking for something more when asymptomatic go elsewhere. If bruising is an issue, let it be known that this couple walked out with them. It could have been coincidentally natural, the result of a big needle or a phlebotomist with poor technique. Regardless, I would much rather pay the going rate than go back there based on my experience for a combination of ALL the reasons given.

Edited by Edsman
  • Like 1

You're missing the big picture here! You can try and dissect my observations all you want but there's more to my post than just bruising. Although the Red Cross is doing a great service to those that have the testing done, having an employee suggest in a matter of fact way that STIs are only present when symptomatic is dangerous to the person being tested and beyond. Do you have an explanation for that and a video that explains why they take that approach? If they don't want to do it because they're not in the "money making business," so be it, but at least be upfront and honest about it and recommend to the person that they go elsewhere rather than telling them they don't have an STI. That's just poor medical advice and something I didn't expect to receive from the Red Cross.

Regarding the bruising, you're correct that it can occur in any medical facility but the extent of the bruising can be potentially mitigated to a certain extent. I understand that correlation doesn't equal causation, but I feel the outcome might have been a result of technique rather than the procedure itself. Maybe we had a poor phlebotomist or just a bad day.

My argument was, and still is, if you're looking for a cheap HIV and syphilis test go to the red cross, if you're looking for something more when asymptomatic go elsewhere. If bruising is an issue, let it be known that this couple walked out with them. It could have been coincidentally natural, the result of a big needle or a phlebotomist with poor technique. Regardless, I would much rather pay the going rate than go back there based on my experience for a combination of ALL the reasons given.

I agree with Edsman, it is very irresponsible of a health professional to rely on symptoms when discussing an STI screen. From my understanding there is quite a high percentage of people that become infected with HIV that show no symptoms at all.

Yes some do, but some don't. The only way to be 100% certain is to have a blood test.

You must remember though that with HIV there is a window period and depending on which test you take the window period can be 4 weeks (duo test) or 6 weeks (standard anti body testing).

If you know for certain that you and your partner have been monogamous for the length of time that it takes to cover the window period then a single test would do, however, if there is any doubt then you take a bench mark test and return for another test when the window period is over (of course both partners must remain faithful during the period between the 2 tests!!!)

I am only talking about HIV, I have no particular knowledge regarding other STIs.

Edited by MrBanks

you say they are doing a great service on one hand then you say their alleged advice is dangerous to the person being tested. again, it is not a place that caters to the "i want this and i want it now" patient mentality.

your narrative about the so called dangerous advice approach you received there is a far cry from my personal experiences there multiple times.

i have personally used their service on multiple occasions and i could not find fault nor unprofessionalism. in english staff members did quite a reasonable job in communicating with me including the locale doctor as i recall. the blood draws did not leave any bruising.

The video i linked to was relevant to standard blood drawing technique. I dont have a STD video but the following are centers for disease control guidelines (usa)

STD & HIV Screening Recommendations

STD testing and treatment can help reduce the spread of STDs. It is important to have an honest and open talk with your healthcare provider and ask whether you should be tested for STDs, your healthcare provider can offer you the best care if you discuss your sexual history openly. Below is a brief overview of STD testing recommendations.

• All adults and adolescents from ages 13 to 64 should be tested at least once for HIV.
  • Annual chlamydia screening of all sexually active women younger than 25 years, as well as older women with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners, or a sex partner who has a sexually transmitted infection
  • Annual gonorrhea screening for all sexually active womenyounger than 25 years, as well as older women with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners, or a sex partner who has a sexually transmitted infection.
  • Syphilis, HIV, chlamydia, and hepatitis B screening for all pregnant women, and gonorrhea screening for at-risk pregnant women starting early in pregnancy, with repeat testing as needed, to protect the health of mothers and their infants.
  • Screening at least once a year for syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea for all sexually active gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM). MSM who have multiple or anonymous partners should be screened more frequently for STDs (i.e., at 3-to-6 month intervals).
  • Anyone who has unsafe sex or shares injection drug equipment should get tested for HIV at least once a year. Sexually active gay and bisexual men may benefit from more frequent testing (e.g., every 3 to 6 months).

http://www.cdc.gov/std/prevention/screeningreccs.htm

• Confused 1

I agree with Edsman, it is very irresponsible of a health professional to rely on symptoms when discussing an STI screen. From my understanding there is quite a high percentage of people that become infected with HIV that show no symptoms at all.

Yes some do, but some don't. The only way to be 100% certain is to have a blood test.

You must remember though that with HIV there is a window period and depending on which test you take the window period can be 4 weeks (duo test) or 6 weeks (standard anti body testing).

If you know for certain that you and your partner have been monogamous for the length of time that it takes to cover the window period then a single test would do, however, if there is any doubt then you take a bench mark test and return for another test when the window period is over (of course both partners must remain faithful during the period between the 2 tests!!!)

I am only talking about HIV, I have no particular knowledge regarding other STIs.

some private hospitals will probably do a head ct / mr scan on an asymptomatic, low-no risk, no family history person with cash that read about strokes and aneurisms and simply wants an "stroke-aneurism-avm" screen.

my personal experiences there (red cross) were nothing but professional and their english was quite sufficient. if you look at the cdc std testing guidelines i posted you can see there is a protocol, a system, hence "guidelines" yes there are places that will do any test you ask for if you have the money to pay for it. i am not advocating against those places, just trying to present the facts in an objective way.

anyone with knowledge feel free to suggest places that will do the "your wish is my command" battery of testing albeit via pm's, or targeted ads if they did not already.

OP: Sorry if your thread got sidetracked but I hope you are able to see varying experiences about the Red Cross. Based on your description, it's unlikely that you'll receive the battery of tests you want if asymptomatic. The only screenings that you're guaranteed to get there are HIV and syphilis. The remaining screens are at the discretion of the person who conducts the intake.

atyclb: Let's agree that the Red Cross offers affordable tests for HIV and syphilis to anybody who wants them and let's also agree that it isn't a facility that will cater to one's desire for a comprehensive screening when asymptomatic or just for those who only want to know their status of a variety of potential STIs.

Let's disagree on levels of professionalism regarding medical advice. Perhaps my experience is the exception; hence, my original opening statement. I contend though, just like the scientific literature asserts, that asymptomatic people can still be positive for an array of STIs.

Thus, I opine that counselors or physicians shouldn't tell people they are negative because they lack obvious symptoms despite fitting guidelines as screening candidates. Based on the CDC guidelines you presented, at a minimum, my girlfriend should have been tested because she fits the recommendation for being screened. I had multiple partners in the year leading up to the screening so perhaps I should of been tested as well. Our histories were listed on the intake form and repeated to the representative who interviewed us. We also requested the broader screening because the intake questionnaire offers these services and the facility is widely touted as a clinic that conducts comprehensive STI screening.

Edited by Edsman

OP: Sorry if your thread got sidetracked but I hope you are able to see varying experiences about the Red Cross. Based on your description, it's unlikely that you'll receive the battery of tests you want if asymptomatic. The only screenings that you're guaranteed to get there are HIV and syphilis. The remaining screens are at the discretion of the person who conducts the intake.

atyclb: Let's agree that the Red Cross offers affordable tests for HIV and syphilis to anybody who wants them and let's also agree that it isn't a facility that will cater to one's desire for a comprehensive screening when asymptomatic or just for those who only want to know their status of a variety of potential STIs.

Let's disagree on levels of professionalism regarding medical advice. Perhaps my experience is the exception; hence, my original opening statement. I contend though, just like the scientific literature asserts, that asymptomatic people can still be positive for an array of STIs.

Thus, I opine that counselors or physicians shouldn't tell people they are negative because they lack obvious symptoms despite fitting guidelines as screening candidates. Based on the CDC guidelines you presented, at a minimum, my girlfriend should have been tested because she fits the recommendation for being screened. I had multiple partners in the year leading up to the screening so perhaps I should of been tested as well. Our histories were listed on the intake form and repeated to the representative who interviewed us. We also requested the broader screening because the intake questionnaire offers these services and the facility is widely touted as a clinic that conducts comprehensive STI screening.

as i recall the red cross intake forms are quite standard and depending on the information provided by the patient would tell which protocol to follow.

some of the tests there may not give an immediate result but require days or more as they might at a concierge center.

i find it hard to believe staff there would tell anyone they could not be an asymptomatic carrier.

the experience you describe seems astoundingly unusual, exceptional and makes me think perhaps i did not not visit the same place?

tons of thais and foreigners visit the red cross center. perhaps you can google it and find a significant number of other patients that were also appalled at the level of unprofessionalism / post-phlebotomy bruising?

atyclb: Thank you for substantiating one of my points to the OP. He might be better served by going elsewhere for his elective wants beyond an HIV and syphilis test.

It appears that if people don't share your point of view or experience, they must be wrong. Let me be the first to break it to you, despite the best of intentions, people and organizations aren't always perfect in every possible way.

I suggest rereading my original post, maybe you might better comprehend it this time around. I quantified my opinion and classified it as such. Get over it!

Hopefully the OP and others will take away something positive from the varying posts in this thread.

• 2 years later...

I'm also not a fan of the Red Cross place.  It is great for HIV but nothing else.  I get the general impression that if you go in there for anything other than HIV testing, they don't really want your business.  They don't have a doctor there all the time and anything other than the HIV tests requires a doctor - but they don't tell you there is no doctor there until after you've been sat queuing for 30 minutes.  I think 90+% of people go there for HIV tests, that's what it specialises in.  It's not meant to be used as a general STI place, although it can be, but there are better places for that.

• 6 months later...
On 3/3/2015 at 10:55 AM, Edsman said:

2018 udate:

This poster is correct. They will not test you for the full range of STD's unless you have symptoms and even if you do results take over 2 weeks. The tests they will test you for are Syphilis and HIV. If you are looking for an express service do not waste your time coming here unfortuantely you will have to pay at private lab.

Edited by pow01