Uk settlement Visa

Now you have changed the argument. Previously you said that you could just sit back and do nothing on the reading and writing..now you are saying that if you cannot read English how can you pass the tests for ILR. The 2 points are not in any way comparable. Firstly you have 5 years to prepare for the B1 test and the LITUK test after attaining A1 so plenty of time to improve. Secondly there is no actual requirement to be able to read and write English for a settlement visa so why should an applicant have to do that? It is utterly illogical! My wife can communicate in a most satisfactory way in terms of speaking and listening but reading and writing is not easy. She can do it and in 5 years time I don't have the slightest doubt she will be able to achieve both B1 and pass LITUK. But that is not the point...there is no current requirement for the applicant to be able to read and write English to obtain a settlement visa yet the test expects them to be able to do so.

My point was you do not need the reading and writing part for your application, what would you suggest that everything is written in Thai and answered in English? or how about someone spends more time learning how to read English before they apply for settlement.

• 5 weeks later...

Good advice as always from theoldgit. I have just handed in a settlement visa application for my wife and stepdaughter so any specific questions can probably be answered. I did it myself but it is a matter of choice. Having said that I know of 2 applicants recently who used agents and were unsuccessful so using an agent is no guarantee of success.

Totally agree, many have done it themselves including me, just read the questions don't over elaborate and take your time, This forum is fill of people who will help you along the way. Best of Luck with your Visa application.

Hi.my wife is here in the uk on a settlement visa which expires at the end of july.when should we apply for her ilr visa.we are going to apply by post.

It's not that your wife's present visa expires at the end of July, but whether your wife has achieved the 2-year qualifying period.

When did your wife apply for her settlement visa, prapha?

Anyway, if your wife applied for her settlement visa on or after 9 July 2012 then she is here under the new rules and will not be applying for ILR at this stage.

Please clarify for a more accurate response from the forum.

Edited by wooloomooloo

It is the date of application which determines whether someone comes under the old, two year rules or the new 5 year rules, not the date of issue. As she applied before 9/7/12 she should come under the old rules. A check of her current visa will confirm this as it should be valid for 27 months; under the new rules it would be valid for 33.

Assuming she is under the old rules, she can apply any time between 28 days before the second anniversary of her first arrival in the UK and the date her visa expires.

Whether she comes under the old or the new rules, the language requirement for all ILR applicants, unless exempt, w.e.f. 28/10/13 is at least B1, or the equivalent, in English speaking and listening from an approved provider* plus a LitUK test pass.

*The list of approved providers changed on 6/4/15. Tests on the old list can still be used for applications until 5/11/15, provided the test was passed before 5/4/15. Otherwise she will need a test from the new list.