Money Changers

mickjn

Hi,

I am making my first trip to Phuket in October.I will be staying at the Banthai resort and spa in Patong Beach I was wondering if anyone could recommened a money changer in the area as that is where I will make my first serious exchange,or are there ones in the area to avoid,

Thanks,

Mick

The ATM's work fine and there are a couple of booth style money changers in Bangla rd.

A word of warning, I did see an instance a couple of years ago where the machine ate the card and they only service the machine a couple of times a week, the poor punter was left stranded.

Check first and dont use the stand alone type machine, but one attached to the bank.

The ATM's work fine and there are a couple of booth style money changers in Bangla rd.

A word of warning, I did see an instance a couple of years ago where the machine ate the card and they only service the machine a couple of times a week, the poor punter was left stranded.

Check first and dont use the stand alone type machine, but one attached to the bank.

Totally agree ... always try and use a machine at a bank proper as the bank has access to the inside of the ATM IF it happens to eat the card! That being said my card was eaten once in HuaHin when I first moved here and they had a man out to open it and get the card out with the hour! (Though I had to go to the branch of the bank and get the card back from the manager ... I just followed the techie on my motorcycle .. it was very fast!) Cheers to that branch of the bank!

My prime advice for both tourists and ex-pats! : ALWAYS have access to multiple sources of cash! ATM, CC, travellers checks! (and if an expat I would suggest 2 bank accounts in the LOS!) My first 6 months here I once managed to get stuck for a week with only the cash in my pocket due to my ATM card becoming useless and having preblocked my CC's from cash advances! Never again!

Edited by jdinasia

Hi,

I am making my first trip to Phuket in October.I will be staying at the Banthai resort and spa in Patong Beach I was wondering if anyone could recommened a money changer in the area as that is where I will make my first serious exchange,or are there ones in the area to avoid,

Thanks,

Mick

Always use the exchange or the atm attached to a bank if you plan carefully its always possible :o