The cane as punishment in Thailand?

Asiantravel

Last night I was reading about the two young Germans in Singapore who have just been sentenced to prison and 3 lashes of the cane for graffiti and vandalism.

Singapore certainly doesn’t seem to have as many petty crime issues as in other major cities and perhaps the threat of imprisonment and the cane is a good deterrent?

When I read about the bad behaviour of youths in Thailand I wonder if using the cane for some punishments would be a good alternative than a paltry monetary fine which all that some people seem to receive?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/03/05/390927090/singapore-court-sentences-two-germans-to-caning-and-jail-over-graffiti

• Like 2

being a product of the english public school system in the 1970s i was on occasion caned, slippered or cricket stumped. didnt do me any harm and just about kept me on the straight and narrow.

but to be honest a punishment that took away my free time e.g. community service or my money in the form of a fine would be a greater deterent

• Like 1

They use the cane in Malaysia for illegal immigrants and visa overstayers: 24 lashes as a "good-bye present" before deportation. Only for males between 18 and 50. Google "caning in Malaysia" to see how it is implemented by karate-trained executioners. Not pretty, but highly effective.

• Like 2

How about using it on foreigners who are late with their 90 day reporting or overstay their visa a few days or longer? Sound good?

How about using it on TV members who like to take a thread off topic? Sound good?

how is it off topic ?..... overstay is a crime and typically crimes are punished

• Like 2

Well harsher punishment doesn't really prevent crime, that's basic criminology. Crime and crime prevention is more complex than a person about to shoplift in 7-11 having second thoughts when he suddenly remembers he might be caned if caught.

What I seen in Thailand they are in love with money, so that is a good punishment but it should be high to have effect. For example in Pattaya they arrest many ladyboys and prostitute , take them to the police station, they will be fined 100 Baht and released. So what happen they go back to the same spot again and do what they been doing. But if the punishment increased to 1000 or more then you will see the effect.

Another thing is loosing face, so if they want to punish them the way you suggest then it should be done in public area, that way everyone can see and they loose face.

being a product of the english public school system in the 1970s i was on occasion caned, slippered or cricket stumped. didnt do me any harm and just about kept me on the straight and narrow.

but to be honest a punishment that took away my free time e.g. community service or my money in the form of a fine would be a greater deterent

Being a product of the English Public School system in the 80's I too was caned, slippered, etc

Didn't do me any harm either. Neither did many years of quite brutal bullying.

Apparently some people have issues later in life but I think that is just an excuse for being weak.

I can tell you that in my case, the punishments made me a lot more respectful of authority, trying to avoid them made me smarter ;-) and being bullied made me into a much more empathic person.

I also agree that taking away my free time was a bigger deterrent.

How about using it on foreigners who are late with their 90 day reporting or overstay their visa a few days or longer? Sound good?

Instead of the fine or as well as?

Might make people behave in the queue at immigration if there is a background noise of 'THWACK'....'YEOW'......

Instead of the fine or as well as?

Might make people behave in the queue at immigration if there is a background noise of 'THWACK'....'YEOW'......

a fine as well, that doesn't change, a stroke of the rattan for every 7 days someone overstays their visa

I used to get the cane for singing out of tune! Never did me any harm at all. Turned me into the superb psychopath I am today. Still can't sing in tune though.

It doesn't seem to have harmed any of those boy bands.

If they used it on the riff raff foreigners here i am all for it. Too many obnoxious foreigners here could use a good whipping. Maybe think twice about i,ll do as i damn please attitude and treating the Thais like crap.

They should use it on those Farangs who walk about the streets and shopping malls shirtless. Might teach them to remember which country they are in.

• Like 1

They look like total slobs. The foreign women can be a nightmare also. Some look like common street hookers.

If they used it on the riff raff foreigners here i am all for it. Too many obnoxious foreigners here could use a good whipping. Maybe think twice about i,ll do as i damn please attitude and treating the Thais like crap.

They should use it on those Farangs who walk about the streets and shopping malls shirtless. Might teach them to remember which country they are in.