The cane as punishment in Thailand?

Asiantravel

Until fairly recently, a bamboo cane for corporal punishment was in almost every primary school classroom in Thailand.

Times have changed... for better or for worse.

I admit some may deserve the cane, but in principle I think any physical punishment, using the cane , using other methods of physical punishment is morally wrong, as is capital punishment!!

• Like 1

Some interesting responses here particularly with the apparent emphasis on punishment for foreigners.laugh.png

But seriously Singapore does seem to have impressive statistics when it comes to petty crime and particularly their low reoffending rates.

I think some posters here are confusing the much lighter corporal punishment we were used to from the old school days with what I was was intending to refer to which is judicial corporal punishment as part of a sentence in a court of law

Medical treatment and the effects[edit]

The immediate physical effects of caning have been exaggerated in some accounts; nevertheless, there may be significant physical damage, depending on the number of strokes inflicted. Michael P. Fay said, "The skin did rip open, there was some blood. I mean, let's not exaggerate, and let's not say a few drops or that the blood was gushing out. It was in between the two. It's like a bloody nose."[30] A report by the Singapore Bar Association stated, "The blows are applied with the full force of the jailer's arm. When the rattan hits the bare buttocks, the skin disintegrates, leaving a white line and then a flow of blood."[31] Usually, the buttocks will be covered with blood after three strokes.[18] More profuse bleeding may, however, occur in the case of a larger number of strokes.

Men who have been caned before described the pain they experienced as "unbearable" and "excruciating". A recipient of 10 strokes even said, "The pain was beyond description. If there is a word stronger than excruciating, that should be the word to describe it".[32]

After the caning, the inmate is released from the trestle and receives medical treatment. Antiseptic lotion (gentian violet) is applied.[33] The wounds take between a week and a month to heal, and the marks are indelible.[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

there is no children discipline in Thailand, they do what they want.

not in my house. When the little one does not obey the boss she gets a stick and gets menacing, the little one complies immediately. Not that I approve really, but each his own method.

Until fairly recently, a bamboo cane for corporal punishment was in almost every primary school classroom in Thailand.

I admit some may deserve the cane, but in principle I think any physical punishment, using the cane , using other methods of physical punishment is morally wrong, as is capital punishment!!

is morally wrong “

but so is rape and violence we have seen increase significantly in society since behavioural standards in schools were relaxed to the extent that pupils now beat up teachersermm.gif

• Like 2

What I seen in Thailand they are in love with money, so that is a good punishment but it should be high to have effect. For example in Pattaya they arrest many ladyboys and prostitute , take them to the police station, they will be fined 100 Baht and released. So what happen they go back to the same spot again and do what they been doing. But if the punishment increased to 1000 or more then you will see the effect.

Another thing is loosing face, so if they want to punish them the way you suggest then it should be done in public area, that way everyone can see and they loose face.

You mean ladyboy prostitutes, not ladyboys AND prostitutes.

BTW, why are you in that area? laugh.png

If they used it on the riff raff foreigners here i am all for it. Too many obnoxious foreigners here could use a good whipping. Maybe think twice about i,ll do as i damn please attitude and treating the Thais like crap.

So much hate on here towards fellow expats.

Many times its the ones calling others riff raff that are indeed the riff raff themselves.

• Like 1

Corperal punishment.... Singapore, Malasia a lot of it stems from British Rule over the empire, and yes UK Secondary mordern Schools of the 60s, 70s and early 80s

many a morning after assembly got the Strap sometimes twice on the ar$e or sometimes two on each hand, had the slipper, bacon slicer and end of Gym rope (that hurt) handle end of an Hocky stick also on a winters morning in shorts would bring a hot warm glow to your bum cheeks and a tear to the eye, for those unfamiliar with a comprehensive education:

The problem is, as pertains to the United States and the UK, in Thailand now days, these are not just boisterous young people or teens getting into a bit of mischief and misbehaviour, but all out nasty thugs who carry deadly weapons that create disorder, with the potential to cause extreme damage, serious harm and even murder as we often see on the news.

These criminal acts require punishments that have well surpassed the cane or the birch. This probably requires some lessons from the Russians that place their serious and serial young offenders into special boot camps, where extreme discipline is applied and the inmates are required to be totally subservient and obedient to authority.

I can remember in Spain during the General Franco days, if young offenders committed acts of crime and were caught by the police, they were rarely given a trial, but rather thrown into a police jail for a week left to the mercies of the police, than released. After that they never offended again.

As for the more minor crimes, I believe the humiliation of the cane is an excellent deterrent and should be implemented here in Thailand.

• Like 1

They use the cane in Malaysia for illegal immigrants and visa overstayers: 24 lashes as a "good-bye present" before deportation. Only for males between 18 and 50. Google "caning in Malaysia" to see how it is implemented by karate-trained executioners. Not pretty, but highly effective.

One of the things I like about Malaysia is the English-language newspapers. Caning seems to be done pretty often. Usually it seems to be ethnic Chinese getting whooped for petty crimes. And then there are the Sharia violators. A few years ago an actress was caught drinking a beer in an east coast resort and sentenced to the rotan. I don't know if they actually went through with it.

A few years ago the official "executioner" claimed he was suffering from depression from whipping all those people.

post-12743-0-82230800-1425674685_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have NEVER had any problems with the Thais. I have ZERO for a police record. Did i hit a nerve ? or are you one of those that believes that while in Thailand you should be able to do anything you damn please .

If they used it on the riff raff foreigners here i am all for it. Too many obnoxious foreigners here could use a good whipping. Maybe think twice about i,ll do as i damn please attitude and treating the Thais like crap.

Many times its the ones calling others riff raff that are indeed the riff raff themselves.

I have NEVER had any problems with the Thais. I have ZERO for a police record. Did i hit a nerve ? or are you one of those that believes that while in Thailand you should be able to do anything you damn please .

If your attitude in daily life is similar as on what and how you write on this forum, I am calling BS on your reply.

• Like 1

Corporal punishment doesn't work as a deterrent. study after study has shown it.

and neither does bleeding heart PCism/liberialism

given the lack of responsibility and blame others, not my fault culture very prevalent these days

• Like 1

Not hate in the least call it a lesson in self discipline if you will, if said people cant learn on their own, then a good whipping would give them a chance to reflect on their lack of responsibility, self discipline and self control

Corporal punishment doesn't work as a deterrent. study after study has shown it.

and neither does bleeding heart PCism/liberialism

given the lack of responsibility and blame others, not my fault culture very prevalent these days

Nothing to do with PCism/liberalism.

Beating someone doesn't teach them responsibility.

There's a reason advanced nations don't administer corporal punishment. It's barbaric.

How far back would you roll the clock? Middle Ages? Bring back the rack and the iron mask?

In Singapore, if you are given 10 strokes of the cane. The person is caned with a doctor present and you are normally only canned two or three strokes before the doc stops it. Mostly due to person passing out due to pain. Subsequently after a month or until the wounds heal ,another two or three strokes are given. This is where a great amount of fear comes to the person regarding the pain.

The rotten used is very thin and breaks the skin after contact. You would be unable to sit for up to a month. The scar of the rotten will be like a tattoo on you for the rest of your life. Only males are deemed strong enough to take the cane and you cannot be older than 50. If you have a medical condition, hearth problem, you will also not be canned.

Most of the people advocating the cane for over stayers are probably here long past their own sell date laugh.png

Lot of angry and wrinkly old men here ups....its like the Prince of Wales on the High Road but with worse beer! biggrin.png

Not that I'm sayin the bird next door does SnM or that of course....facepalm.gifw00t.giftongue.png

There is no comparison between the cane as used in schools and caning as Singapore carries out on the antisocial. It probably does help ensure an orderly society. For sure, there is one American hooligan that won't be vandalising cars in Singapore again.

• Like 2

I wouldnt mind the cane if a cute immigration officer would spank me when I overstay 1 day.

Perhaps they should have a bar that has girls in sexy immigration officer uniforms giving spankings to naughty boys smile.png .

They already do! Two in Bangkok and one in Pattaya! LOL