UK minister asks foreign governments to clarify rights of gay people

This would have had much more effect if done in conjunction with the United States' new secretary for gay rights (I don't know his official designation).

The rights for gays are or should be the same as for anybody else. To create a special government posting for them is saying they are different and in need if protection. That is just so wrong. Where's my special government minister for left handed people?

• Like 1

This would have had much more effect if done in conjunction with the United States' new secretary for gay rights (I don't know his official designation).

The rights for gays are or should be the same as for anybody else. To create a special government posting for them is saying they are different and in need if protection. That is just so wrong. Where's my special government minister for left handed people?

The fact that the rights of gays are not the same as for for anybody else is precisely why there is a new secretary for gay rights.

I wasn't aware that left handed people couldn't get married, weren't recognised or were treated any differently. blink.png

Can't say I've seen any "left handed people" shoved off buildings and stoned to death either but then that's another topic I guess.wai.gif

Keesters, I was the one who mentioned the special US official to take care of gay rights.

You seem to have completely, and willfully, missed the point.

Gay people do NOT have equal rights at present. The main publicity these days is about marriage/civil partnerships, but there are also inequalities in such things as hospital visiting rights, rights to act on behalf of a sick partner, and so on.

All we ask for is equal rights; you lefties have them already. The special US official is there simply because we don't have those rights at present.

There are governments around that have special representatives for women's wrights. Why? Not because women are special but because they should have the same rights. And in many societies, they don't.

That is the correct analogy. Not left-handed people - who used to be discriminated in past centuries but not any more, so nobody understands your analogy.

what are their rights in Saudi, Pakistan, Iran, Malaysia etc etc I think in the Islamic state, so called, they have the right to be heading or to be thrown off a high rise.

You many be right,I don't know. What what exactly is your point with regards to this topic? You've lost me.

I have to agree with Keesters in some respect. I have never understood why for example there is a 'Gay Police' association in UK & similar for ethnic minorities yet their left & right handed officers are lumped together in a single federation smile.png

That's because there is no discrimination against left-handed people any more.

I wish the same were true for gay people or ethnic minorities.

Yeah, the positive discrimination in favour of the latter pair in our homelands needs to stop. No one objects to fair play... Edited by evadgib

The question posted by the OP is what is Thailand's answer to the issue of gay rights. It is not about discrimination of left-handers. Numerous off-topic posts and replies have been removed.

I am gay and I am left handed. The comparisons are apples and oranges.

Gay rights is a fast moving issue in some countries it is not smooth and systematic. Unlike straight marriage, for example, which is almost universally recognized, gays may be married in one country and have no spousal rights in another. If you are on holiday with your spouse and there is an illness or accident that can be a problem.

The UK minister is asking for clarification.

Stick to the topic, please

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully with government intervention through offices such as this, it will bring more attention onto the issue. i suggest that one of the reasons gay people have been ostersized outside of religion is that no one brings it up as an issue. Even with religion....aka Roman Catholic Church, nations are giving legality to same sex marriages. Europe and Scandanavia seemed to start the movement. Now it is in South America, Mexico and even the puritancial United States. Perhaps with England putting empahsis it will creep into Africa and do we hope, but the middle east. We can hope.