Beware the scammers.

berybert

As you stagger out of the pub at night, barely able to stand, you may not look like a mug, but you do look like a confused drunkard, which amounts to the same thing - an easy mark for these folks. You, my friend, seem to have a drinking problem. You also have a serious anger management problem, going by your comment that you want to punch out someone who's done nothing against you. Or perhaps you're just one of those drunks who thinks he's Steven Seagall as soon as he's got 4 or 5 pints inside him. Learn to turn the other cheek, or you're a heart attack waiting to happen.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As you stagger out of the pub at night, barely able to stand, you may not look like a mug, but you do look like a confused drunkard, which amounts to the same thing - an easy mark for these folks. You, my friend, seem to have a drinking problem. You also have a serious anger management problem, going by your comment that you want to punch out someone who's done nothing against you. Or perhaps you're just one of those drunks who thinks he's Steven Seagall as soon as he's got 4 or 5 pints inside him. Learn to turn the other cheek, or you're a heart attack waiting to happen.

...and when driving/riding on the roads and pavements, Always give way!

I'm surprised that hardly anybody on this thread seems to have heard about this scam !

It's a classic friendly "curiosity" approach that will pit dexterous hands against your wallet and the wallet will always lose ... That is if you not brush them off right away like the OP did ...

Thanks to the OP to remind us that this sort of people are perennially around doing their well practiced nefarious activity.

Thanks for your comment. I will now desist from alerting people of any scams I see going on.

Try to help others and get nothing but abuse. 'Get scammed get &lt;deleted&gt;' will be my motto from now on.

• Like 2

Is your real name "The Profiler"?

Happened to me in big c pattaya Arab,Pakistani,looking and voice person approached me in fruit section made chit chat where I came from then showed me his wallet allegedly full of us dollars,and asked me if I could show him some baht notes,i then yelled out security and he took of like a rabbit i later told police maybe check security cameras in big c i was brushed off, lately I see the bib arrested some other family for the same scam and i read there have been another couple also

And yet you come across as a smug mug.

Just tell me & the readers the scam...Your cryptic OP is hardly helpful to those who haven't a clue what it is.

The scam is that they will ask to see your money (or ask you for change) and then try to make a switch, giving you back "money" that is either worth much less or is entirely worthless.

Simple google search finds this but I guess that's not as much "fun" as badgering others on the forum who attempt to pass along simple advice.

I googled 'beware the scammers' & it brought me to back here!

Thank you for clearing up the OPs ill written tale & your attempt at badgering me , I hope you had fun typing it!

Guest jonzboy

berybert

had the same approach on Suk near Soi 22, looked like a "can you exchange your THB for my USD" scam, probably forgeries, young Arab couple, good English

berybert thanks for the advise always good to know whats happening out there. don't worry about some idiot replys have faith in the system. only some have nothing better to do than winge and critize

cheers mate

• Like 1

It's a common scam that's been going on for years all over Bangkok and the world. Amazing so few people in this topic seem to have heard of it / understand what was going on. I guess you'd have gotten scammed?

Never heard of it. The only thing I would see here is the possibility of them snatching my wallet from my hand, or somebody coming up behind me and grabbing something.

Exchanging your money for pieces of plain paper would be a stretch to even call a scam.

---------------

Had one guy in front of me at the ATM complain the machine was not working, no cash. Walks away. So I proceed to check both the ATM and money slot for boggies, then use the ATM. Works fine. He re-appears and asks more questions like how to use the machine etc. I tell him it works for me, try it again.

Can you figure out the the scam, einstein? (It's not proximity skimming my card electronically using a device in his pocket. No heat sensitive film over ATM keypad).

Happened to me in big c pattaya Arab,Pakistani,looking and voice person approached me in fruit section made chit chat where I came from then showed me his wallet allegedly full of us dollars,and asked me if I could show him some baht notes,i then yelled out security and he took of like a rabbit i later told police maybe check security cameras in big c i was brushed off, lately I see the bib arrested some other family for the same scam and i read there have been another couple also

ASEAN will certainly top all scams. The "medical and educational hub", foreign woman wear too tiny bikinis and offer sex offenders free sex hub,...aeehh wait the "flood preventing hub" will turn into a rip off hub.

The hub of hubs.

There have been several quite smooth Filipino con artists who have worked the Phrom Phung area for years. They speak excellent English and often start things off with innocuous questions similar to what the OP was asked. In my case, asked where a good currency exchange service was and morphed into a discussion probing into details of my life. He was slick, tried to get me to accept an invitation to his house. I declined and left.

I really do not know what his specific scam was...maybe a card game or an invitation to buy gems or gold at a rate "only available on one day each year"

I would see him prowling the area around the BTS and Benjisri Park for several years thereafter, but not lately.

I learned early on not to wear sports jerseys identifying my home city. Both Filipino and Korean scammers would approach me: "Oh my God...You from Boston!! My niece will be going to school there next month..she is very scared...can you please come and talk to her....blah, blah blah"

Filipino guys have a card game scam they run all over the world. Friend of mine got suckered into it (through a girl) in Palau.

Once he figured out he needed to flee he managed an escape through a bathroom window, jumped off a balcony and ran away.

There have been several quite smooth Filipino con artists who have worked the Phrom Phung area for years. They speak excellent English and often start things off with innocuous questions similar to what the OP was asked. In my case, asked where a good currency exchange service was and morphed into a discussion probing into details of my life. He was slick, tried to get me to accept an invitation to his house. I declined and left.

I really do not know what his specific scam was...maybe a card game or an invitation to buy gems or gold at a rate "only available on one day each year"

I would see him prowling the area around the BTS and Benjisri Park for several years thereafter, but not lately.

I learned early on not to wear sports jerseys identifying my home city. Both Filipino and Korean scammers would approach me: "Oh my God...You from Boston!! My niece will be going to school there next month..she is very scared...can you please come and talk to her....blah, blah blah"

it seems to almost always follow a set formula.

small talk conversation bringing up a relative who lives or studies in your home country. invite to house for a meal with family, followed by an invitation to a card game where they want you to participate in cheating some wealthy players who will be playing. usually several members of extended family will make the offer after the meal while the women clean up.

the guy i dealt with seemed actually pretty wealthy, big house, great thanksgiving type meal with some decent looking daughters there and drinks afterwards. got a ride there and back in his black suv.

i just refused the game and it was not brought up again. was to take place on a later date on a cruise ship.

Edited by fey