Thailand on course to levy land tax for the first time

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – The Cabinet is expected to debate the draft law for lands and buildings taxes, Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said, reiterating the government’s determination to levy land owners.

Sommai said his ministry has finalised the draft tax rate, dismissing speculation that the drafting process has stalled or scrapped.

The proposed taxes would exclude owners of under one million baht lands and buildings. Farmers would receive government assistance designed to shield them from tax impacts.

The land tax would replace the property tax which is deemed inefficient tax collection at the rate as high as 12.5 per cent of valuation.

Based draft provisions, any residential valuation of less than one million baht would have no tax liability.

The house with the market value of less than three million baht would enjoy the tax reduction of 50 per cent. The normal rate is 1,000 baht per one million baht valuation and the actual tax payment will be 1,500 baht.

Any house worth more than three million baht, the first three million would be taxed at the reduced rate of 1,500 baht and the remainder payment would be calculated on the rate of 1,000 baht per one million.

The uncultivated farmland would be taxed no more than 0.25 per cent of market value and the levy would double every three years but not exceeding the maximum rate of two per cent.

Tax exemption will be granted for lands under government agencies, Buddhist temples, public property, foreign embassies, the Red Cross, the Crown Property Bureau (limited to undeveloped plots), cemeteries and private ownership placed for government use.

No way. The vehicles are not in a database to protect those illegally owning illegally imported cars (farmers all have Ferrari's, the thugs). Land is much more valuable than cars. Why would they ever pass a fair land tax law that can be documented with a paper trail.

No way. The vehicles are not in a database to protect those illegally owning illegally imported cars (farmers all have Ferrari's, the thugs). Land is much more valuable than cars. Why would they ever pass a fair land tax law that can be documented with a paper trail.

Not sure where you got that car thingy from. I certainly didn't read any references to cars in this article, only land tax.

Good move.

This is a tax on the rich very overdue.

There are many rich Thais that own a lot of land and they leave it untouched as they have no need to sell or cultivate.

About time they pay their taxes.

This is unheard in the western world.

We all pay taxes for houses or land owned.

What I don't like is that they shouldn't exempt Buddhist temples.

They make enough money to afford to contribute to the country and not only take.

Buddhist temples are technically state property already - not subject to tax

Good move.

There are many rich Thais that own a lot of land and they leave it untouched as they have no need to sell or cultivate.

They make enough money to afford to contribute to the country and not only take.

Do you ever read your posts before pressing the post button?

You think all Buddhist temples should pay tax as they make a lot of money - utter nonsense, basedon probably reading some topics on here. Get out into the real world.

• Like 1

Good move.

Based on recent news ... I have a hunch that a significant amount of money laundering goes on with the assistance of temples. I'm not trying to criticize buddhism or anything, just saying it seems like the two would go hand in hand quite nicely.

Good move.

So someone with a house >1.000.000 is rich?

It is a middle class tax and you'll see that the rich won't pay it.

They will also renew the study of the actual market prices (now they are based in a very old study with prices not up to date). So in urban areas, specially Bangkok virtually anyone will need to pay. Most poors will be chocked, since they are probably paying a loan to the bank to enjoy their first 30sqm Lumpini condo at 1.5M. Loan+condo fees+property taxes a perfect combination to kill the middle-low class.

If they are going to update the prices, so they should rise the minimum to 2 million or perhaps put two tiers depending on Bangkok-rest of Thailand.

1 million property in Nong Khai (a two floors decent Townhouse) is not the same of 1 million property in Bangkok (just a room), right ?

• Like 1

Good move.

Meanwhile your greek country about to go down the tubes you can't pay for your stuff as it is and since when is it a good idea to follow the western world why did you come here to make it like the western world this really blows if you ask me more tax is never a good idea reduced goverment is not big goverment . What thai people had one good they will have no more .

Is Greece in the 'Western World'...thought they are in there own...

• Like 1

Lots proposal and draft laws come up and are later abandoned. There are so many very powerful people and companies which own land in Thailand, it seems likely their influence will weigh heavily on this proposal that it will never make it into law, or that if it does under the current government, the next elected candidates will make it part of their platform to repeal it.

• Like 2

Good move.

My partner owns 220 Rai of farmland, i don't know if you would regard that as a lot and yes she hasn't planted anything on the land for one year now and we wont be planting anything this year either because we cant afford the loss, it costs us more to plant and harvest now than what we get from the millers. We already pay land tax so i don't see that this is new. Plant and lose money or pay extra tax and lose money.

Edited by soalbundy

Good move.

Buddhist temples are technically state property already - not subject to tax

You are wrong, most buddhist temples are built on private given land and funded through charity, but not subjected to tax as the monks aren't working or classified as workers. (my own theory from here on) This is the perfect solution for land owners to be able to avoid taxes, they can claim the size of the land for the temple is larger than it is as their (land owners) name is still on the land deed, but with a contract with head monk at the time to let the temple with its monks use it for the purpose it's supposed to.

I would prefer to see any tax reforms postponed until after martial law is lifted and a civilian elected government is firmly in place. This way there can be a proper debate, as their should be.

Good common sense comment! All taxes they come up with can be whipped or massaged by a good Lawyer.

The rich know how to work with the Law in Thailand-- and if they write it themselves---you can bet it will

be in Their favor-- USA Corporation is a perfect example.

• Like 1

Fo you live in your car? They are talking about houses.

The basic in Thailand is not in level for any taxes as there are no security if the thais lose there job

And what do they get in return if he can't keep a budget why don't he let someone who can run the country do it

taxation is a like pis your pants in the winter and will never give any return from rich here like it don't in the west

It's the middle class mainly and it close many doors wich does it much harder to reach the top and as you work hard the tax cut of the most hard working chances to go fast

This country don't need the tax to get the money in for free medical and pension but they need someone with education and enough selv respect not to embarrass a hole nation by obvious lak of brain and someone who respect that the only number one in Thailand are the Thais nobody else and let them discuss what they want with out make them criminal for say what's on there mind it goes for this case too he must ask the Thais since he never got elected

So does this mean that all those lazy Issan women

who met their prince on a dating website, built them

a huge mansion, made the prince give a huge sin sot

to the mother because he was a hunsum rich man,

kicked him out because the walking ATM was dry ?

Will they now have to pay tax on their dream home

that has no power because they cut off the hand that

fed them,, we will all have the last laugh fellas,, and

let us all give the ladies a hearty (the bird) salute.

What is missing from this article and perhaps the proposal itself is:

1. The 'transparent how and where' the collected tax will be used. If one owned a home in Chiang Mai and was taxed, will the money be used within the respective Tambon and Amphur along with the 'how' for much-needed infrastructure. Or will it disappear into a national whirlpool (read: Bangkok) with little or no transparency?

2. How is the property assessed?

Edited by lifeincnx