prices in pattaya/jomtien

bapoboy

still high season in pattaya / Jomtien?

I've checked around on hotels.com and booking.com and it looks like hotel, condor, apratments is very much more expensive than it was in September 2014.

appreciate an explanation :)

-greeting magnuswai.gif

If hotel/condo or whatever is known by you it better to see if they have a website to achieve a better price than hotel,com,remember they get a whopping backhander,darn wish i worked for them hehe.

I had a week at ganymede resort & spa in Jomtien in September 2014 when it cost 3500thb, now it costs 6300thb for a week, quite big price difference, possible because it was low season.

Try Agoda.

Prices certainly look lower on Agoda..........but then they add the service charge and tax as you try to book. Overall they may be cheaper but I prefer to see the price I am going to pay as I browse, not have to remember that it will go up by 17% when I finally decide.

My last day in Pattaya this time.

Normal procedure / price list in my usual hotel.

Slightly cheaper from Mar 1.

No unusual discounts.

But they are well booked.

September is deep deep low season.

Now (March) is not soo deep low season,

"High" season now? Sure not.

Can cross the streets (Soi Buakhao, 2nd rd, Beach rd.) relatively easy biggrin.png

Plenty of scooter parking lots at Central today (on a Sunday!).

Jomtien is stone dead.

Some will not survive.

Also in Pattaya misc. "to rent"/"to sell" signs.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

....don't use online

Wow, that’s some really bad advice! And surprisingly a lot of likes as well, god knows why.

Care to elaborate?

I’ve done extensive traveling using the internet since internet booking came about, and always checked prices on whatever booking sites were available at the time, as well as the hotel’s own site, if they had one.

Have to say that recently the hotels own sites are quite often the best value, if they have some promotions.

Otherwise, if you’re diligent and check around, you’ll find a much better value than trying the “rack rate” at a hotel…

I stayed here roughly 4 years ago and I think prices have gone up by 50 baht, even after a full renovation of the hotel.

http://www.baybreezepattaya.com/rates

Let's see what it costs for a 'Superior' room, single occupancy:

Low season : 1450

High season : 1550

Peak season: 1750

According to the hotel, high season extends till 30th April 2015, but is 100 baht over the low season price going to blow out too many budgets ? The hotel is just inside the Second Road entrance to Soi Honey - about as central as you can get without being out on the nightmare of Second Road. Granted, its not a resort but my only complaint during my time there was construction noise - obviously, that building has long since been completed and the reno on the Bay Breeze should mean no more drilling for quite a few years. There are cheaper options, but if you value the ability to barricade yourself against the heat and the mob (admittedly down on previous years), I think its better to pay another couple of hundred baht to get something decent.

I have to go to Central Festival today - it will be interesting to see if the reports of 'heavily booked' hotels translate into a few more bods on the streets. I still believe Songkran will see the number of new arrivals explode, but that's not a thought that fills me with joy - let's enjoy the relative peace while we can ! ;)

• Like 1

I stayed here roughly 4 years ago and I think prices have gone up by 50 baht, even after a full renovation of the hotel.

http://www.baybreezepattaya.com/rates

Let's see what it costs for a 'Superior' room, single occupancy:

Low season : 1450

High season : 1550

Peak season: 1750

According to the hotel, high season extends till 30th April 2015, but is 100 baht over the low season price going to blow out too many budgets ? The hotel is just inside the Second Road entrance to Soi Honey - about as central as you can get without being out on the nightmare of Second Road. Granted, its not a resort but my only complaint during my time there was construction noise - obviously, that building has long since been completed and the reno on the Bay Breeze should mean no more drilling for quite a few years. There are cheaper options, but if you value the ability to barricade yourself against the heat and the mob (admittedly down on previous years), I think its better to pay another couple of hundred baht to get something decent.

I have to go to Central Festival today - it will be interesting to see if the reports of 'heavily booked' hotels translate into a few more bods on the streets. I still believe Songkran will see the number of new arrivals explode, but that's not a thought that fills me with joy - let's enjoy the relative peace while we can ! ;)

Dont know where prices were this time last year, which was the comparison point. But to be honest, for a grotty 3* with very small rooms i doubt there is much space to raise prices anyway. I stayed there about 15 years ago, a number of times, because I happened to like the room they showed me, which was one of the few with a balcony. But even then i recall discovering that there were much better hotels a available for whatever the price was at that time.

OK PJ - 15 years ago vs a full reonovation in 2014 - and it's still a 'grotty 3-star' ? Mate, I know what a grotty 3-star looks like - any of the Siam chain I've seen seem to aspire to that standard and I can assure you that even in it's pre-reno state the Bay Breeze was a whole lot better than that. You can slag off the place all you want, but it might be an idea to actually stick your head in there in 2015 before making your feelings public - the last time I went down Soi Honey the foyer looked like they'd spent real money on it. Short of checking in, I'm prepared to go with memories from 4 years ago vs your recollection from 15 years ago. I have no stake in this, but for some of us it seems easier to roll out old standbys like 'Less tourists so they put the prices up' than actually back it up with something verifiable.

FWIW, I stayed at Dusit roughly 15 years ago and it's clearly been extended and extensively renovated in the interim - it actually seems more like a resort and less like a business hotel now - but you'll pay double to stay there (a solid walk from the action downtown) over the Bay Breeze. Ultimately, if I had a young family wanting to hang around the pool most of the day my priorities would be very different - horses for courses.

OK PJ - 15 years ago vs a full reonovation in 2014 - and it's still a 'grotty 3-star' ? Mate, I know what a grotty 3-star looks like - any of the Siam chain I've seen seem to aspire to that standard and I can assure you that even in it's pre-reno state the Bay Breeze was a whole lot better than that. You can slag off the place all you want, but it might be an idea to actually stick your head in there in 2015 before making your feelings public - the last time I went down Soi Honey the foyer looked like they'd spent real money on it. Short of checking in, I'm prepared to go with memories from 4 years ago vs your recollection from 15 years ago. I have no stake in this, but for some of us it seems easier to roll out old standbys like 'Less tourists so they put the prices up' than actually back it up with something verifiable.

FWIW, I stayed at Dusit roughly 15 years ago and it's clearly been extended and extensively renovated in the interim - it actually seems more like a resort and less like a business hotel now - but you'll pay double to stay there (a solid walk from the action downtown) over the Bay Breeze. Ultimately, if I had a young family wanting to hang around the pool most of the day my priorities would be very different - horses for courses.

Strange, i have an excellent recollection that 15 years ago it was grotty with very small rooms....and the rooms certainly aren't any bigger now. What i don't have any recollection of is stating that the hoteliers raise the prices when there are fewer tourists. In fact, they have a history of doing the opposite which is why I'm surprised this years prices are so much higher than the same time last year. Your anecdote doesn't change that. My guess is prices are higher because bookings are higher, but probably not by the bar hopping type. More likely there are lots of Chinese and Indians around. Maybe the Chinese and Indian tour groups are cutting discounted rates all over town now, leaving less for the individual Agoda etc bookers who are now forced to pay more.

Edited by paddyjenkins

Strange, i have an excellent recollection that 15 years ago it was grotty with very small rooms....and the rooms certainly aren't any bigger now. What i don't have any recollection of is stating that the hoteliers raise the prices when there are fewer tourists. In fact, they have a history of doing the opposite which is why I'm surprised this years prices are so much higher than the same time last year. Your anecdote doesn't change that. My guess is prices are higher because bookings are higher, but probably not by the bar hopping type. More likely there are lots of Chinese and Indians around. Maybe the Chinese and Indian tour groups are cutting discounted rates all over town now, leaving less for the individual Agoda etc bookers who are now forced to pay more.

Other than the maurading groups of Indian gangbangers negotiating on Beach Road there are no tour groups from there but a ton from China.

• Like 1

Who told you this was low season ? spring breaks in cold countries is just starting so maybe April the prices will go down but wait that is Songrohn so you will have to wait until the end of April.

Edited by ToddinChonburi

Who told you this was low season ? spring breaks in cold countries is just starting so maybe April the prices will go down but wait that is Songrohn so you will have to wait until the end of April.

I was talking today with a tenant I know in Mike shopping mall, and she said to me now she charges higher prices because it's high season.

Asked her, which high season you're talking about, the one from 3 years ago? She smiled, and said yeah 3 years ago, and charged me the normal low season prices.smile.png

I should add, even at 5.30 pm there were no Chinese to be seen in Mike shopping mall. and it normally is flooded with Chinese after 4 pm.

Edited by Anthony5