Dependent Visa Problems.

Firstly I would like to apologise for another visa post but have done much searching and confused with the varying answers I read.

My wife and I came to Chiang Mai nearly 20 months ago. After the initial 90 days on a Non O visa we obtained extensions to stay based on retirement for me and dependant for my wife.

I renewed my retirement extension in October last year but due to illness in family my wife was back in Australia when hers expired.

She obtained a new Non O in Australia and her 90 days expires 30th this month. We usually use an agent and was checking with them the other day for requirements and one was my bank account has to have 800k (3 months) for her to obtain a dependant extension.

This is where the problem starts. I usually transfer around the 800k baht from my savings in Oz 3 months before my renewal date then we live off that until 3 months before next renewal. We have made extra purchases and account has dropped well below required. We have just sold a Fractional Time Share in Phuket for 1.7 million baht to be paid in equal instalments over six months the first being paid February. As we knew we we getting that i tied up my "spare" cash in Oz and don't want to access any due to tax and the low exchange rate. I will pay tax on any withdrawal from my superannuation until mid November when i turn 60.

Our agent is saying that immigration will not count the 1.7 million coming to us over the 6 months as not real income.

So I guess my questions are has any one had similar situation and what will our best option be? Maybe we have to do visa runs but know nothing about them.

Thank in advance for any help.

Their is no requirement for you to have the 800k baht in the bank for your wife to apply for the dependent extension.

She will get an extension up to the date your current extension ends. Then apply for another extension when you do yours.

• Like 1

All you have to do is (if correspond to truth), obtain an affidavit from your embassy about your monthly income for the balance of 800,000 bath minus what has been in bank for three months.

Example: if you had Bt 300,000 in bank for three months, monthly income must be at least (800 - 300) / 12 = 41,700 Bt.

The funds in Thai bank is demonstrated with bankbook (in you name only), statement and letter from the same day or day before application.

The income is demonstrated only with the affidavit at most six months old, although in rare cases immigration can ask for backup proof.

Whatever money is "coming to you" doesn't matter for immigration purposes.

Edited by paz

Their is no requirement for you to have the 800k baht in the bank for your wife to apply for the dependent extension.

She will get an extension up to the date your current extension ends. Then apply for another extension when you do yours.

I hope that is the case. Just need to convince immigration.

All you have to do is (if correspond to truth), obtain an affidavit from your embassy about your monthly income for the balance of 800,000 bath minus what has been in bank for three months.

Example: if you had Bt 300,000 in bank for three months, monthly income must be at least (800 - 300) / 12 = 41,700 Bt.

The funds in Thai bank is demonstrated with bankbook (in you name only), statement and letter from the same day or day before application.

The income is demonstrated only with the affidavit at most six months old, although in rare cases immigration can ask for backup proof.

Whatever money is "coming to you" doesn't matter for immigration purposes.

This is a rare case for us. Bank balance actually went to nothing while waiting for Absolute to pay us money for the Time Share. So no real savings to show after October last year. Wife bought $aud10k back with her. Also there is not set monthly income only an email from Absolute stating the 6 payments. Don't know if embassy would give affidavit for that.

BTW, what do you mean by"(if correspond to truth)"?

BTW, what do you mean by"(if correspond to truth)"?

I understand that the Australian consulate does not require documentation to notarize your statement/affidavit. Of course, you must state true facts.

Edited by paz

I don't think you will have to convince immigration of anything. Perhaps your agent will need to be convinced.

See clause 2.20 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay. There is no mention of any financial requirements.

All that is required is for you to have is a valid extension of stay which you do have until October. There is no requirement for you to keep the 800k in a bank to keep your extension valid ether.

I don't think you will have to convince immigration of anything. Perhaps your agent will need to be convinced.

See clause 2.20 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay. There is no mention of any financial requirements.

All that is required is for you to have is a valid extension of stay which you do have until October. There is no requirement for you to keep the 800k in a bank to keep your extension valid ether.

You maybe right. Agent is still saying they will ask for it even though I emailed her a copy of the clause you gave me the link to. BTW thanks very much for that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You maybe right. Agent is still saying they will ask for it even though I emailed her a copy of the clause you gave me the link to. BTW thanks very much for that.

Dump the Agent smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Agent dumped. Went to another agent and they admitted they did not know so took all our paperwork to immigration and got and answer of bank account not needed.

They did all the paperwork and went to immigration and had it check and approved then wife only had to go with them for a few minutes to have her photo taken and done, extension obtained.

Also I did a post a little while ago about immigration not accepting an older copy of marriage certificate because of date of verification was too old. Another piece BS. Nearly cost me a trip to Bangkok but till cost me 800Baht for verification by Oz consulate when they came to CM a few weeks back.