The 2015 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past I've seen kids lining up along soi Khao Noi as early as 9 April. Fortunately they were only shooting pedestrians. A few days later and people at various bars in the same area started playing as well, but the last day was the madhouse. The last time I was stuck in the Suk Jam I was lucky enough to be inside the vehicle (dry and air-conditioned) which was great as traffic simply wasn't moving at all.

If they could keep it to only the 13-15th it would be great. 7-10 days of it is too much (too much of a good thing and all).

Nice one JSIXpack ..

Hopefully living as I do off and behind of 2nd road and , I have a 7-11 100 mtrs in each direction , which I'll be living in for 10 days ...

In the 20 years I've been coming here unfortunately always at this time before I moved here ( my wife likes to go home for songkran ) ... I just can't understand middle aged tatted up farangs thinking they are in some kind of shoot them up movie with their high power AK47 ' water pistol ' .. I've even seen a gang of about 10 blokes in combat gear , faces green and black painted marching round the streets like a swat team ... <deleted> ?? ...

As useful as the information is in this thread it does smack somewhat of the new residents of Notting Hill who were shocked and surprised to find a street carnival in their new neighbourhood every August bank holiday.

Forget your countdown , It started already , saw some kids shooting water in my local soi , but let the fun begin , I drive the car and will continue to do so for the next 10 days.

Fair play to the OP for taking so much time to post this, however i do find it mislleading.

It reads that the whole of Pattaya is almost in full songkran force from the 11th onwards, this is simply not the case.

No, it doesn't read that way at all.

Expect to get wet if you hang around beer bars, this is usually from mid day onwards when the children get out of bed, but there are certainly not any grid locked traffic jams with picks ups full off pweople, thats the 18th in Naklua (no mention of that in the guide from what I could see ) and the 19th in Pattaya.

Which is what the FAQ says. It builds to the 18th and 19th. Nothing about gridlock before then. In fact it specifically states that traffic's not bad on the 13th-15 and begins to increase on the 16th.

And what's misleading is your implication that you can't get wet--or powdered or iced--outside the bar areas. Not true at all. During the building up, it starts to become possible to get songkraned anywhere at checkpoints and from pickup truck revelers. One year I was songkraned on the 12th by my building's security guard! Member rocky123 thought he was safe on the 14th on Soi Khao Noi (the Darkside) only to be almost knocked off his bike. The FAQ gives the peak hours. But early morning is certainly possible too. Neighborhoods are full of kids who like to get out early with their water guns.

You need to read over the Dates section carefully to see exactly what's there. Songkran on the 18th in Naklua is in fact mentioned more than once. Here's one:

• 18 Apr

Naklua

Naklua's official Songkran day is the 18th, meaning gridlock on Naklua Rd. for most of the day; Wong Amart is effectively sealed in. Spillover goes into Pattaya itself, so it's a bad day most everywhere.

I'm always looking to improve the FAQ, which is why I go through the Songkran threads every year to update w/ latest info. So if you come with anything new and factual, and not further misleading, do mention it.

As of this writing

Countdown to 11/04/2015 14:00
5 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes, 50 seconds

Sorry mate, it was constructive criticism if i knew you were that touchy i would not have bothered, your piece reads like its chaos in Pattaya for a whole week, just check th comments of people under your piece saying they will stayin for 10 days, there words not mine. i missed the naklua referecne though, i'l take that on the chin.

Edited by sungod

Piece o' cake. Sorry that you yourself have such a difficult time typing. Fortunately I had a great typing teacher in high school, Mrs. Brown. Lemme direct you to help:: Learn How to Touch Type

Here is a useful link for you too wink.png :

http://practicaltypography.com/line-length.html

Cheers smile.png

Edit:

Not trying to be an ass or patronizing or anything unfriendly, but

a lot of text might become exhausting with long lines... ;)

Edited by Eagleizer

Forget your countdown , It started already , saw some kids shooting water in my local soi , but let the fun begin , I drive the car and will continue to do so for the next 10 days.

Had me worried there for a minute but the bars on Beach Rd and 2nd Rd were quiet this early afternoon--rather eerily so. Not so much traffic either. Big fat police checkpoint on 2nd Rd at Soi 11, pulling people over. They never mess with me for some reason; I don't look like a tourist and probably look like I got my s**t together. But as I passed by I watched them pull over . . . well, I hate to say this, 'cause it's just gonna ruin the day for many of our members and some will lose the will to live . . . but I watched them pull over:

A Thai girl wearing no helmet.

There. I dared say the inconceivable.

School's been out for the kids. Many are ready to play w/ their waterguns. They aren't normally much of an issue.

Fair play to the OP for taking so much time to post this, however i do find it mislleading.

It reads that the whole of Pattaya is almost in full songkran force from the 11th onwards, this is simply not the case.

No, it doesn't read that way at all.

Expect to get wet if you hang around beer bars, this is usually from mid day onwards when the children get out of bed, but there are certainly not any grid locked traffic jams with picks ups full off pweople, thats the 18th in Naklua (no mention of that in the guide from what I could see ) and the 19th in Pattaya.

Which is what the FAQ says. It builds to the 18th and 19th. Nothing about gridlock before then. In fact it specifically states that traffic's not bad on the 13th-15 and begins to increase on the 16th.

And what's misleading is your implication that you can't get wet--or powdered or iced--outside the bar areas. Not true at all. During the building up, it starts to become possible to get songkraned anywhere at checkpoints and from pickup truck revelers. One year I was songkraned on the 12th by my building's security guard! Member rocky123 thought he was safe on the 14th on Soi Khao Noi (the Darkside) only to be almost knocked off his bike. The FAQ gives the peak hours. But early morning is certainly possible too. Neighborhoods are full of kids who like to get out early with their water guns.

You need to read over the Dates section carefully to see exactly what's there. Songkran on the 18th in Naklua is in fact mentioned more than once. Here's one:

• 18 Apr

Naklua

Naklua's official Songkran day is the 18th, meaning gridlock on Naklua Rd. for most of the day; Wong Amart is effectively sealed in. Spillover goes into Pattaya itself, so it's a bad day most everywhere.

I'm always looking to improve the FAQ, which is why I go through the Songkran threads every year to update w/ latest info. So if you come with anything new and factual, and not further misleading, do mention it.

As of this writing

Countdown to 11/04/2015 14:00
5 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes, 50 seconds

Sorry mate, it was constructive criticism if i knew you were that touchy i would not have bothered, your piece reads like its chaos in Pattaya for a whole week, just check th comments of people under your piece saying they will stayin for 10 days, there words not mine. i missed the naklua referecne though, i'l take that on the chin.

Not touchy at all but merely concerned about accuracy so that your misleading post needed to be corrected. The FAQ says what it says. But you may read it however you wish, privately. If you actually read it, which your first post didn't much indicate.

Staying in for 10 days is a perfectly safe and reasonable course of action, depending on circumstances. Many of us here living IN Pattaya who have been through a few Songkrans might well do that or just leave. The FAQ gives tips on how to do either comfortably. If staying here, many do venture out early in the morning or very late at night for resupply, as the FAQ notes and gives opening/closing hours for local supermarkets.

Edited by JSixpack

Piece o' cake. Sorry that you yourself have such a difficult time typing. Fortunately I had a great typing teacher in high school, Mrs. Brown. Lemme direct you to help:: Learn How to Touch Type

Here is a useful link for you too wink.png :

http://practicaltypography.com/line-length.html

Cheers smile.png

Edit:

Not trying to be an ass or patronizing or anything unfriendly, but

a lot of text might become exhausting with long lines... wink.png

I suppose it depends upon the literacy of the reader.

Checking the grade level needed for the FAQ gives these results on various tests:

Grade Levels

A grade level (based on the USA education system) is equivalent to the number of years of education a person has had. Scores over 22 should generally be taken to mean graduate level text.

Readability Formula Grade

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 6.4

Gunning-Fog Score 8.6

Coleman-Liau Index 9.2

SMOG Index 6.5

Automated Readability Index 5

Average Grade Level 7.1

I'd concede that many members may well be reading at grade levels lower than the average of 7.1, especially those who will participate in Songkran, but then they likely wouldn't pay attention to a more dumbed-down FAQ anyway. The more ignorant you are, the more you know, after all. Though aware of Flaubert's "The best sentence? The shortest,” I'd pay more attention to it in a commercial venture where I'm being paid--'cause it means more work. In the meantime, you're entitled to a full refund of your purchase price at any time. And if possible do spend more time with Henry James and Proust.

Cheers & Happy Songkran,

JS

OK, I can see you are very sensitive to anyone daring to question your masterpiece and have a difference of opinion. i'll leave it there and get back to you if I need any further information from the man 'all things songkran.'

Your post above just demonstartes you are so far up yourself

Edited by sungod

Tanks for your informative post BTW! Very useful! It`s a bit

biased, but that`s OK. wink.png I love Songkran, and although I don`t

spray others, I really don`t mind.I too got an eye-infection 2

years ago, so I now take precautions.

There was a story in a Norwegian newspaper a few days ago,

about why Norwegians always greats each other when they

meet in the ski-slopes, when they otherwise is very shy.

I think that`s what I like about Songkran. People are even more

friendly. It`s about having fun together. That`s my experience

anyway.

Those few bad experiences you mention, you can find every day

of the year, and is not representative for the celebration as a whole

IMO. Water, robbery, fighting and so on.. It happens all the time,

except the water part that only happens during Songkran wink.png

Join the fun, or admit you are an old fart and stay home..

(not you personally)

BTW, I`m 52 and celebrated Songkran the first time in year 2000..

..if that matters.

Cheers, and happy Songkran everybody! smile.png

Tanks for your informative post BTW! Very useful! It`s a bit

biased, but that`s OK. wink.png I love Songkran, and although I don`t

spray others, I really don`t mind.I too got an eye-infection 2

years ago, so I now take precautions.

There was a story in a Norwegian newspaper a few days ago,

about why Norwegians always greats each other when they

meet in the ski-slopes, when they otherwise is very shy.

I think that`s what I like about Songkran. People are even more

friendly. It`s about having fun together. That`s my experience

anyway.

Those few bad experiences you mention, you can find every day

of the year, and is not representative for the celebration as a whole

IMO. Water, robbery, fighting and so on.. It happens all the time,

except the water part that only happens during Songkran wink.png

Join the fun, or admit you are an old fart and stay home..

(not you personally)

BTW, I`m 52 and celebrated Songkran the first time in year 2000..

..if that matters.

Cheers, and happy Songkran everybody! smile.png

That's the spirit! Good on ya!

OK, I can see you are very sensitive to anyone daring to question your masterpiece and have a difference of opinion.

Bring it on, man. What I'm waiting for is your evidence.

i'll leave it there and get back to you if I need any further information from the man 'all things songkran.'

Always happy to help. smile.png

Your post above just demonstartes you are so far up yourself

How so? I took Eagleizer very seriously, did some checking, and agreed that I could use shorter sentences if I spent even more effort at my own expense. But then the tests didn't indicate any big emergency, as the average grade level needed is 7.1. I'd be perfectly happy for someone else to take over the FAQ. Don't see many volunteers around, though. :)

Blimey

The guy posts this in good faith , if you don't like don't read or comment about it .

Personally , I've been though over 20 New Years celebrations , and hated them all ( mainly because I'm in pattaya ) .

I thought it was well written and well put over .

Jesus some people

Give it a <deleted> rest .

Blimey

The guy posts this in good faith , if you don't like don't read or comment about it .

Personally , I've been though over 20 New Years celebrations , and hated them all ( mainly because I'm in pattaya ) .

I thought it was well written and well put over .

Jesus some people

Give it a <deleted> rest .

Thank you for reminding me. Seriously.. Easy to get off track ;)

I just want everybody to enjoy Songkran. Sometimes you need

somebody to hit you in the head to stop whining. It happens to

me every now and then also. It`s easy to get caught up in some

point of view, and never change. Long live internet and the

communication between countries and experience. Personally

I learn something every day, and every time I change my mind,

I feel wiser..

Cheers :)

Timeline: Friday April 10 2015, ~5:30pm

Location: Beach Road end of Soi 8 (cant remember the name of the bar, but its huge and mostly empty of customers)

When I showed this to a Thai bar owner far from the madness down at the beach, she just shook her head and said 'They'll start throwing water on soi 7 and 8 tomorrow'. There was no malice in any of this woman's efforts, but do you really need the large black bucket of water out on the footpath to refill a tiny pail like that ? The Chinese tourists didnt seem too impressed, but they can always hide out in their hotel rooms.

And so it begins, like that first drop from melting ice in the Canadian Rockies. Except that we're in the middle of a drought halfway around the world wink.png

post-172716-0-71951200-1428680291_thumb.

Timeline: Friday April 10 2015, ~5:30pm

Location: Beach Road end of Soi 8 (cant remember the name of the bar, but its huge and mostly empty of customers)

When I showed this to a Thai bar owner far from the madness down at the beach, she just shook her head and said 'They'll start throwing water on soi 7 and 8 tomorrow'. There was no malice in any of this woman's efforts, but do you really need the large black bucket of water out on the footpath to refill a tiny pail like that ? The Chinese tourists didnt seem too impressed, but they can always hide out in their hotel rooms.

And so it begins, like that first drop from melting ice in the Canadian Rockies. Except that we're in the middle of a drought halfway around the world wink.png

attachicon.gifIMG_1063.jpg

I noticed the bars on Beach Rd. and 2nd Rd. eerily quiet in the early afternoon. Makes you wonder what that means, if anything, for Songkran this year.

I'm gratified that a Thai bar owner agreed with the FAQ timeline. wink.png

Just a speculation, but lady above looks like a vendor staking out her territory and trying to get things going. I noticed one today selling safety glasses, though we've been assured above we needn't worry about eye infections. A lot of money is made by selling Songkran-related stuff--water, ice, powder, beer, PVC guns, room rents, whatever. While so many businesses lose money, it's that money flow up the corruption pipeline that keeps Songkran going so long in PTY.

Edited by JSixpack

I've cleaned up some of the insults and stuff that were being thrown around. Songkran has many passionate proponents and there's also many who can't stand it. Please discuss your opinions on it without feeling the need to slag off those who disagree with you. Thank you. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7KD27

The bar mentioned by Mr WW is possibly Poppy bar, name not important though.

Usually sois 7 & 8 are the first to pre start, maybe there are others that do also.

If anyone still needs to stock up Big C have a promotion running 9th to 15th, spend 999 baht +, get 120 baht discount.

Quite generous, doesn`t apply to alcohol and a few other items though.

The branch on Pattaya Klang do free delivery on any purchase over 1000 baht ( They will not deliver perishables, fresh or frozen food ) but can be included in the overall spend, just need to take any of those items home with you.

I`ve no connection with them nor do I personally know anyone working there, just shop there from time to time.

I think both they and Tesco do online ordering and delivery, I`ve not used.

I`ll probably go out in Central Pattaya tomorrow night, after that just stay where I live, naklua, a fair bit calmer here other than the 1 big day and a little bit on other days, although really from tomorrow onwards there is the risk of getting soaked by someone wanting to start early.

Quite a few people I know have either left or are mostly staying in

I'm mostly staying in, but it was a bit tragic when the only people rummaging through the 'bargain bin' full of water pistols at Big C Extra were myself and another middle-aged Farang. Got some swimming goggles too - no idea if it will do any good but at least I've made a token effort : not much anyone could do against those high-pressure hoses. I stocked up on food and DVDs but the prospect of spending 9 days inside really doesnt excite me.