Unwanted calls

Anthony5

After being a customer for 15 years, and more than 2 years of lies that they were gonna solve the problem that I had no connection at my home, I decided to port my number from AIS to another company. Since the old number was in Thai name I wanted to change it to my name first, as to not have any issues with the new provider, which I did on Monday 23 February in the morning.

That afternoon I received a call from an unknown mobile number, but as soon as I answered the call was disconnected. I tried to call back the number, but it was constantly busy for the next 24 hours, so clearly a call center.

Since that day the calls haven't stopped.

I receive at least one call a day every day, mostly from Thai speaking people who can't or aren't interested to speak English. Most of the time they ask for a certain person, but when I ask if they want to speak English, they hang up.

It are always different numbers so it makes no sense to block them. It are also not wrong dialed numbers, because on a few occasions that I can't answer for some reason, they call back several times until I answer. Someone who dials a wrong number doesn't dial the same wrong number twice.

Since this never happened before the day I informed AIS that they could climb in a tree, it is clear that they sold my number to a calling list, and the first call probably was just an automatic call to check if the number was life.

What can I do against this?

Don't ask them if they want to speak English, instead be polite and say (or learn to say) in Thai " just a moment I will get my Thai wife".......call out a name so they can hear you, call any female Thai name. Now and then pick the phone up and say in Thai "just a moment she's coming".

The calls might not stop but at least you'll have a laugh at their expense. biggrin.png

• Like 1

What makes yon think it was AIS who "sold" your number?.... Maybe, just maybe, it is your new provider?

My new provider was only informed about the transfer 2 days later, by that time I had already received 2 calls and a spam message.

I got one too,heavy breathing,squealing in the background, ,some sounding like they were slurping mama noodles,think it was a poster on this forum on his day off.

What has happened to yeah siam by the way,hope he is okay,can you od on mama noodles?

You know, you should at least TRY to get some semblance of a life.

You're actually responding to and quoting your own posts now.

Edited by Cypress Hill

What makes yon think it was AIS who "sold" your number?.... Maybe, just maybe, it is your new provider?

Yep thats the most likley reason, here in AU when i signed up for a new landline and net i was bombardered almost daily from overseas call centres, eventualy calling my new provider to have something done about these unsolicited calls i learned that many were from associated companys aligned in some way to my new provider.

By talking to your new provider good chance you can get these nescience calls stoped.

Yep thats the most likley reason, here in AU when i signed up for a new landline and net i was bombardered almost daily from overseas call centres, eventualy calling my new provider to have something done about these unsolicited calls i learned that many were from associated companys aligned in some way to my new provider.

By talking to your new provider good chance you can get these nescience calls stoped.

As said already, I only signed up wit my new provider 2 days after the calls started, and I called them last Wednesday as I got really upset and threatened to cancel my subscription.

They looked up the number that called at that time, and however they could not identify the owner, they informed me it was an AIS registered number.

[...]

As said already, I only signed up wit my new provider 2 days after the calls started, and I called them last Wednesday as I got really upset and threatened to cancel my subscription.

They looked up the number that called at that time, and however they could not identify the owner, they informed me it was an AIS registered number.

If you started receiving the odd calls after the account name change but before the actual transfer, it could be that AIS did some sort of 'back-end' change to your account and either another number was added to your account or the 'switch' was mis-routing a lot of calls to your old number. The odd thing about that, though, is it should have stopped when the transfer to the other provider went through.

If the calls started AFTER the transfer to the new provider was completed, again it could be a back-end issue with the programming on your account allowing calls to be mis-routed to your old number on your new provider.

A third option is people mis-dialing the number and reaching you. Though I would think the chances of that happening as the same as they've been over the last 15 years you've had the number.

If you have someone you know who speaks Thai, have them ask what number they were calling. Was it a similar number to yours (variation), another fixed number (getting forwarded to you), or random number (and the 'switch' routes them to you).

Either way, I'm sure it's getting annoying.

On the plus side, you're getting to know how the 'real' Thailand makes phone calls.

I had my carrier put a no call/message note on my number as I was getting mutiple bullsh*t calls and messages daily. Didnt stop them all but did stop most of them. Trouble is the ones I get occasionally now are from unregistered/invalid numbers(lovelines, stargazer etc), ie, you cant put them on your spam list. Will visit my carrier(dtac) again to see if I can do more about it, your current carrier should be able to stop most of them