Teaching qualifications

Simon1

Dear All,

I am aware that this question may have posted numerous times before but am also aware that things change quickly in Thailand.

My question is What are the rules concerning being able to teach in Thailand 2015 style?

A little about me.....I am employed and living in the UK with my Thai wife of 4 years, and amazingly things aren't that bad at the moment.

I have two College diplomas gained in the UK and have also a TEFL Qualification. I have experience teaching here by doing one to one teaching from home and my pupils home. I am aware that this won't be classed as official teaching but still have this experience.

I am also aware that not having a University degree is an issue but wondered if my two Diplomas and TEFL would count towards anything.

Basically we are moving to Thailand when I am 55 (approx 3 years time) when my works pension kicks in and even though i would not want to work in Thailand as a necessity i would just like to know what chance if any i would have of getting a teaching job. We would be moving to Udon Thani or Nong khai.

One more thing, would my age be a problem (55 when we move to Thailand as in getting a teaching job???)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Simon

Edited by Simon1

Hi

BEC Diploma in Business Studies, City & Guilds in Catering & Hotel Management, I-to-i Tefl / Tesol (105 hour Qualification).

If you have a BEC rather than BTEC in Business Studies then I assume that it was obtained a long time ago, but if you have the award (ie certification) then it would likely be regarded as a Level 2 qualification which is for progression purposes regarded by some unis as equivalent to A level pass level for application to either HND or degree level courses. The City and Guilds course (726?) is a course more or less at GCSE level but the Hotel and Catering C+G course a decent vocational course. So the above two courses both at sub-degree level. Now the TEFL course looks to me as rather flimsy. However, it might come in useful later as a marker of intent to teach English.

OK, what to do? You are still at work and have 3 years to go. See if you can set a target for obtaining both English GCSE and English A level at evening class at a local college. See if you can get on to a Celta course after this. A lot of work when you are also thinking about retirement, but you will do it because you want to, not because you are desperate for money. If it is the latter then no doubt some part of the Thai education system will take you on, but that's the duckers and divers route.

Hi Sheungwan

Thank you for your advice, already have 'O' and 'A' level English so will look at CELTA course as you have suggested.

As I said before I won't work because I have to but for something to do as I wouldn't need the money to survive. Maybe this would stand me in better stead as I wouldn't seem desperate at any interviews.......but how about the age thing? I know one or two people older than me who teach but I have also heard that Thailand can be very ageist.....?

Under current regulations you couldn't obtain a teacher's licence (due to no bachelor degree), which would mean you couldn't obtain a work permit to legally work as a teacher.

However, as you'd have an O visa via marriage, there are currently positions available for assistant teachers and some other similar positions which don't require a teaching licence. Although the jobs are still advertising for teachers and the salary + duties involved will be exactly the same as a for teacher.

However by the time you move to Thailand, this "grey area" might not be quite as grey. Already some provincial DoL don't approve WPs for it.

Regarding age, you might not be their first choice, particularly if you look quite frail or older than your age. However many schools, particularly the more rural ones, aren't spoiled for choice (And if you're dressed smartly, well presented & generally look quite professional, you should have a good shot regardless).

With a Non-O marriage visa, I think you'll find places that are willing to fudge your contract as a "teaching assistant", or "translator", or "language expert" to avoid the Kurusapa requirement of having a Bachelor's in Education. At that point, all you need is for the local labor office to play ball and sign off on giving you a Work Permit, which it seems like many if not most do. Then you've got a contract, a work permit, and a visa, which in my opinion makes you fully legal. It *is* a grey area though.

Thailand is pretty ageist, but on the other hand the number of foreign teachers has been going down recently so most schools are not exactly spoiled for choice. For most schools, they have to choose between A ) "unqualified" people like you (and me, I have a Bachelor's degree but it is in engineering), B ) agency hires that are usually VERY green, MUCH more likely to quit partway through a contract, and usually more expensive than option A types (not that they see much of that money -- the agencies skim up to about half off the top), C ) Filipinos for a cut rate (which usually parents aren't too keen on), or D ) not hiring any foreign / NES staff. Outside of International schools, there aren't even CLOSE to enough foreigners/NES with degrees in Education to go around, so plenty of schools will be happy to overlook your age and go for option A there.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your replies so far, certainly food for thought. I especially like the idea of being a teaching assistant / translator etc; seems a good way to get round certain regulations.......

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your replies so far, certainly food for thought. I especially like the idea of being a teaching assistant / translator etc; seems a good way to get round certain regulations.......

Basically we are moving to Thailand when I am 55 (approx 3 years time) when my works pension kicks in and even though i would not want to work in Thailand as a necessity i would just like to know what chance if any i would have of getting a teaching job. We would be moving to Udon Thani or Nong khai.

Hi Simon,

First I thought it was more a "rhetorical" question, considering your statement, when you're 55. Laws and regulations are changing more often than some people change their underwear.

You might consider to pay in an extra insurance that allows you to have a higher income when you're 55. It's all being mentioned what's possible now, but that doesn't mean that it will be like that in 2018.

The ASEAN community will start this year in December and I truly believe that Thailand isn't prepared for it and will never be.

My advice is to stay "up to date" with the always changing laws and regulations. And even if you could find employment as an English teacher, already holding a work permit, the Immigration could always say no, which already happened quite a few times.

Just looking at two cities, only 65 km away in the northeast now is surprising. You could get all paperwork sorted out and become a "trainer", teacher assistant, or similar at a government school in Sisaket.

But same wouldn't be possible at a school in the neighboring province Ubon Ratchathani, because the Immigration and the department of labor are completely different and don't let those "little lies" come true.

Best of luck for your plans, don't forget to have the right insurance when you finally move to Thailand. Cheers-wai2.gif