Gas Tank Warning Sticker Removal CBR650F

WingNut

Many of you probably know or have done this already, but I got tired of the warning stickers on the gas tank so I removed them today.

If you buy a CBR650F in Thailand there are actually 3 stickers on the tank and 2 of them are in Thai language, so they are just useless eye-sores to a non-native speaker like myself.

It was real simple. I just used a hair dryer to heat them up first. Then I used my finger nail to start removing them and then just grabbed hold of the stickers with two fingers once they started pelling and pulled them right off. It took me less than 3 minutes to remove all 3. The heat from the hair dryer softens the glue and then they come right off.

All 3 left a bit of glue residue on the tank though. So then I just took a soft rag with some Sonex sprayed on the rag (German made WD-40 lubricant equivalent sold in Thailand) and then gently just rubbed the glue residue with the soft rag and Sonex, which after less than a minute dissolved the glue and removed it all. No need to rub hard. Just keep going over the glue residue and after a few seconds the lubricant starts breaking down the glue and it just dissolves into the rag.

Then I took a baby wet-wipe to remove the oily lubricant from the tank and I was done. Then dried the tank with a dry rag. Whole project took less than 10 minutes.

No drama and not risky. No risk of damage to your paint or your gas tank.

If the stickers bug you too, then just remove them. Easy.

I believe a new bike is legally required to have all those stickers on at time of delivery. I asked Yamaha to take them off before I rode away from the showroom but they refused. They did however lend me a rag and a can of Sonex ...

you've now lessen the re-sale value to a thai....lol....

most keep every possible sticker on anything the buy and use

even if it were meant to be removed before you use it...555..

you ought buy a Japanese atv, they have about 6 warning plates that are riveted aluminum recessed in the plastic...talk about eye sore,

you ought buy a Japanese atv, they have about 6 warning plates that are riveted aluminum recessed in the plastic...talk about eye sore,

Here, here! I still have the tags on my 10yo underwear, I reckon it worth more. ;)

On anther hand, the stickers on my ATV don't bother me as they're anyways coveted in mud so just don't see them.

I believe a new bike is legally required to have all those stickers on at time of delivery. I asked Yamaha to take them off before I rode away from the showroom but they refused. They did however lend me a rag and a can of Sonex ...

I believe your right. I asked Big Wing about removing them for me and they advised against it too. I guess it is safety law, but I can imagine there are millions of bikes out there with far worse infractions.

I agree. They leave stickers and labels on everything and save boxes. I once sold a second hand camera and the thing the locals were most interested in was the availability and condition of the box.

I did exactly the same thing with my Kawasaki. But be careful. If you use a heat gun, much hotter than a hairdryer, and you get it a little too hot, you can take off the paint, which would be a heartbreaker. Another thing I recently learned is great for removing price tag and sticker glue residue from almost everything -- plastics, PVC, etc. -- is turpentine.

I left my bike in the sun for 20 minutes, and the stickers peeled right off- a little WD-40 took care of the residue, and that was that.

From this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

To this (the different gas cap helped, of course):

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks much better, that orange one off to the side was horrible.

But you kept the 95 gas one?

is that a reminder to not speed

or not to stick E85 in....biggrin.png

I just picked up another NSR, and it has the original paintwork (body work heavily scratched though) and it has all those tank labels.

The tank paint work is good so i will probably keep them on. Its getting on for classic status so all original is how i like them.

Edited by kaorop

All the guys pumping gas at the Shell station near me are Burmese. Good luck finding one that reads Thai, much less one that is interested what the warning stickers might say on your bike. Just sayin.

I think better to watch yourself what they are putting into your bike than relying on a sticker. But that's just me :)

Here is what the 3 stickers looked like that I removed. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1425966502.524613.jpg

Did you realise that the bottom sticker says "Do not remove stickers from fuel tank". ? whistling.gif

Oh no, I didn't realize that. That's horrible. Silly me. For now I've reattached the old sticker temporarily to avoid any problems and I've ordered a new one from the dealer. Do you think I'll be ok?

I left my bike in the sun for 20 minutes, and the stickers peeled right off- a little WD-40 took care of the residue, and that was that.

From this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I like that 95 sticker. I assume that means you should go up to 95 before dropping into second gear? Strange though, my sticker says 135. I guess Honda and Kawasaki are different? [emoji6][emoji106][emoji108]

^

Yeah, but going up a grade is way more common than going down, and generally won't cause an issue. I do know for a fact that they wouldn't fill my diesel truck up with gas when my wife asked for E91 (which was of course my fault for letting her use my vehicle...);)

That said, you're probably right.

From this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A solar heat gun! Cool, er, I mean hot!

I thought only madd dogs and Englishmen would voluntarily put their bike out in the burning sun for 20 minutes, but what do I know. [emoji16][emoji15][emoji47][emoji6]

^^

I did a quick search on removing stickers from matte paint, and the procedure looks to be the same- heat, fingernail picking up an edge and slowly peeling it off, and then cleaning up th residue with WD-40 or the equivalent (do NOT wax for your bike's matte paint). If you really want to be extra careful, soak the stickers in WD-40 overnight before attempting removal.

Either way, I'd find out all I could on Google first just to be sure- I didn't really research it, but just gave it a cursory glance.;)

RSD your right on any matte finish surfaces on a bike. Never good to hit anything matte with wax. [emoji108][emoji106]

Also, Sonex, the German WD-40 equivalent seems to be more readily available and cost less too. Ever since I've been in Thailand, which is an embarrassingly long time, I've always used Sonex as a lubricant for pretty much everything. The girls complain a bit sometimes, but what can I say [emoji14]

Actually, soaking in WD-40 or equivalent overnight first sounds like a good idea. Could probably skip the hair dryer that way. I'm curious though if it would start to dissolve the clear coat surface on the paint though too after a while? I doubt it, but that would be a bit of my apprehension on that technique.