Thai Farmers Find a Profitable Market in Edible Insects

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-25617100-1425931685_thumb.

Thai farmers have found a profitable market in edible insects. Insect farming and demand have fueled this new growing trend in Thailand.

Thai farmers have found a new profitable market: edible insects. In recent years, Thailand’s insect trade has taken off. Today, the country is the leading importer of insects in Southeast Asia. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, Thailand imports an estimated 800 tons of edible insects from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. Another 370 tons of silkworm pupae are imported from China.

Cross-border trade is still relatively small, but farmers in Thailand’s northern agricultural region, Isaan, are taking cues from neighboring countries and raising their own insect “livestock”. Eating insects has long been a custom in Isaan, but demand is now growing in other parts of the country as well. The region now boasts 20,000 cricket farms that contain 220,000 rearing pens. Altogether, these farms produce 7,500 tons of cricket each year, earning them $30 million.

At a local market in Kalasin, a province in Isaan, the two local species of grasshoppers are the biggest draw. Giant water bugs, bamboo caterpillars and silkworm pupae are also in high demand.

The increase in insect trade is being fueled by new technology and skills that have allowed for the commercial breeding of insects. Demand from urban consumers is also on the rise. Restaurants, like Krok Mai Thai Lao in Bangkok, are serving insect dishes that were once only served in the northern parts of Thailand. Outside of fresh markets and restaurants, frozen edible insects are popping up in the freezer section of supermarkets all throughout Bangkok.

It’s not just the locals who have taken an interest in edible insects. Venders at popular tourist destinations are serving up insect feasts for daring visitors who are curious to take a bite.

The eating of insects is not a new custom. Scorpions, wasps, and other edible insects are consumed in most parts of the world, aside from Western countries.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-09

• Like 1

I accept bugs into my food with open arms, provided that:

1. They get chopped up and don't look like bugs anymore

2. Preparers stop using that nasty cheap oil to deep fry them

3. Some serious spices to get rid of that bug taste.

I've tried them all, and they have all been excessively greasy with a nasty cheap cooking oil. Actually, the grasshopper usually aren't greasy. Has anyone seen any steamed bugs?

Also, all the bugs I've tried have a "bug" taste. It's not pleasant, something like a nasty peanut, a nasty peanut with legs. But I think that taste could be buried with other ingredients pretty easily.

The grasshoppers I've had don't have this taste, probably because of the salt and the fact that they aren't very "meaty."

>Scorpions, wasps, frogs and other edible insects

I'm sure everyone who read this caught the grouping error. I think the intended group wasn't "other edible insects," but "Stuff that we think most people reading this article think is gross to eat."

Frogs in Thailand are either in an insanely spicy curry dish, or a full-frog kebab. All the full-frog kebabs I've come across had been prepared hours before, and were unpleasantly cold, much like an old piece of fried chicken (and to repeat a cliche, that's how they tasted).

Actually I think some projection showed that those will be the main source of protein in the world within 50-100 years...

And not in Asia only but worldwide...

They make bacon and sausages with Tofu nowadays, might be able to make grasshopper and caterpillar bacon :)

Edible insects is truly an Asian answer to nutrition-challenged nations and Thailand could grow this industry into a global enterprise.

The UN urges eating insects as sources for protein, fiber, good fats, and vital minerals. Thirty-six African nations already consume insects as a food as basic as chicken.

Edible insects is truly an Asian answer to nutrition-challenged nations and Thailand could grow this industry into a global enterprise.

The UN urges eating insects as sources for protein, fiber, good fats, and vital minerals. Thirty-six African nations already consume insects as a food as basic as chicken.

Here's some tasty looking delicacies.

I declined the invitation to try one fried though.

post-101376-0-29676000-1426010559_thumb.

Usual stupid useless propaganda that nobody believes <3

Really, you need to take a trip out east and northeast. Out in these villages which don't have running water and where the houses comprise of a wooden frame with sheets of corrugated iron nailed to them, people will eat virtually anything which doesn't run away quickly enough.

Have a look at this site for some examples: http://importfood.com/thai_insects.html

Even in Patong, in the Tiger bar complex, there's a guy who comes around late at night selling fried maggots at 20 Baht for a little bag.

If all humans ate insects across the world there would be no lack of protein in any diet and we could devoted more land to growing crops for human consumption rather than rearing animals.

IHMO smile.png

Will the Vegetarians be happy with the ethics of eating insects instead of animals ?

People have been eating insects and grubs in Australia for thousands of years, ants are used to make a sweet drink.

"Crocodile" Dundee: ...Well, you can live on it, but it tastes like shit.

Agree not very nice but I haven't eaten much shit to compare it to so I will just have to go along with you on this one. They are bird dropping so I guess your correct.

If all humans ate insects across the world there would be no lack of protein in any diet and we could devoted more land to growing crops for human consumption rather than rearing animals.

IHMO smile.png

Will the Vegetarians be happy with the ethics of eating insects instead of animals ?

probably will be as they do eat the sacred lettuce.

John the Baptist's diet was locusts and wild honey.

In the middle East, locusts are considered a great treat and a swarm of them arriving will cause a mad scramble to catch as many as possible. The have the texture of prawns and a taste similar to chicken.

Edited by Maybole

John the Baptist's diet was locusts and wild honey.

In the middle East, locusts are considered a great treat and a swarm of them arriving will cause a mad scramble to catch as many as possible. The have the texture of prawns and a taste similar to chicken.

........and are eaten by people who can't afford prawns or chicken.