non o marriage visa. wife wants divorce. how affect my stay

sorry im sure this is in the forum probably multiple times but I'm in the middle of all the emotions tied to a breakup, plus the insecurities of not being able to stay here.

my wife wants to breakup and she is saying she wants to go with me to get divorce?

i only got the non 0 visa in january

how does this affect my next immigration office visit that i have to go to every 3 months

should i go with her and get divorce or just let her do it? does it cost money?

i dont want to leave thailand

not sure what my options are, any advice is much appreciated

thank you

Depends on what "visa" you have.

If a single entry visa when the 90 days stay runs out you will have to leave and make other arrangements if you wish to remain in Thailand.

On the other hand if you have a visa which permits multiple entries that will remain valid until it expires at which time you will need to make different arrangements.

However, as you say that you have to visit immigration every 3 months I suspect you have an "extension of stay based on marriage" which is not a visa. If you divorce the extension of stay becomes invalid on the day of divorce.

I am not qualified to comment on the more personal issues raised in your post but wish you well in whatever you decide to do.

A multi entry non - O you must leave the country every 90 days (border run), not immigration.

You can squeeze near 15 months out of it. An extension of stay (not a visa) requires a visit to immigration every 90 days to show you still live at your declared abode.

Edited by transam

There is no such thing as a "Non O marriage" Visa !

IF you have a "visa" it will either be a "NON O" single entry visa OR a multi entry "NON O" visa which allows stays of up to 90 days. Neither visa requires any "check in" with immigration.

I suggest you urgently check to discover exactly what is stuck/stamped in the passport.

More than likely you will discover you have an extension of stay which does require 90 day reporting at immigration.

Just take her to the gold shop, she will forget all about the divorce...

Seriously though, you need to work out whether you have a multi entry Non O visa or if you are on a 1 year extension ?

I'm in multiple entry Non O and have to leave every 90 days, no option to check in with immigration....

It seems you have an extension of stay based upon marriage you applied for and got at immigration not a visa.

Your best option unless you are 50 or over and can quality for an extension based upon retirement is to got out for a multiple entry non-o visa.

You could get one in Savannakhet Laos prior to getting divorced. You would need your marriage certificate, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. The visa would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

who cares what she wants?

Until you want she wont get divorce, so forget it and her !

He still needs to sort out how to stay here.

Next January, at the earliest, he will need another extension. Cannot do that without his wife.

Depending on how bitter the split is , if the wife knows anything about immigration rules then she may just help that date come forward.

Next January, at the earliest, he will need another extension. Cannot do that without his wife.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't think any Western should get or stay married for reasons of immigration to Thailand.

Edited by paz

Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't think any Western should get or stay married for reasons of immigration to Thailand.

I didn't say he should. I was pointing out that the Op was more concerned with how he can stay more than the divorce. "Hell hath no fury...." et al.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for delayed response guys.

figured out what i have. i have an extension of stay based on marriage.

if i dont give her a divorce...how does that play out of me, do i have the full year ?

what if she talks to a lawyer. i did nothing wrong but women are evil when they make up their minds.

thank you for all the responses :)

If you don't allow the divorce you will have the full year and she will have to go for a divorce through the courts, which can take a long time and cost money. Lawyer fees can be high.

You will not get another extension, unless she cooperates with you and goes with you to immigration and confirms you are living together as husband and wife.

Going down route of lawyers will just escalate hassle & expense. Lawyers will give her the impresion she can milk you to death plus they will be up to speed at making immigration a serious headache for you.

Your best bet is working it out with wife for divorce & getting docs required for type O multi entry from savannakhet, that would tide you over for a possible 15 months stay probably not legally as would be divorced but never seen anyone questioned with type O multi based on marriage, other options would be retirement if old enough, tourist or elite membership.