Upgrading True Internet From 2.5mb To 4mb, Do I Need A New Modem?

JohnWalker

Hi All,

I have had a 2.5mb Internet service from True for a couple of years. It has been getting slower and slower, particularly in the last couple of months. It is so painful, I have decided to upgrade.

I can't see much point in complaining because the staff either don't understand or lie.

When I told them I wanted to upgrade to 4mb, they said I would need to buy a new modem.

Is this correct or another lie?

I currently have the original Billion that I bought from True when I first started with them

Appreciate your advice.

I also have a Billion router from True (2.5 years old). The model is BIPAC 5102 Series with Wi-Fi, it complies with ADSL2+ standards (downstream 24Mbps, upstream 1Mbps).

Before you upgrade check to make sure your True Tel.line can handle the speed. My line can only handle speeds of up to 3.4Mbps due to the limitations of the exchange in my soi.

True may sell you anything you ask for regardless of technical speed limitations!!!

Sorry I don't have the link, but somewhere on the True web-site you can find out if your number has ADSL capability (of course you know already that ADSL is OK but pretend to be a new customer who wants to subscribe) and this site also provides you with details about max speed on your line.

opalhort

Guest Reimar

Why upgarde to 4 Mbps? There is not any changes on the sharing within (UN)TRUE. I checked with a friend of mine and hims speeds slower than my 2.56 Mbps! I downloaded MS Vista 64 Bit in 4.5 h for example!

Call to the Service of (UN)TRUE, let them come and show you on example accounts, which they have for testings, how is that speed. If that speed is better than your existing one may it works to upgrade. Otherwise: DO NOT DO IT!

Oh I checked my speed with speedtest.net:

Date Time Download Upload Destination

8/28/2006 1:33 PM GMT 85 kb/s 335 kb/s 317 ms New York, NY

8/28/2006 1:31 PM GMT 140 kb/s 134 kb/s 625 ms Melbourne

8/28/2006 1:30 PM GMT 387 kb/s 265 kb/s 73 ms Singapore

Pretty woeful for what is supposed to be a 2.5mb service... but no surprise really.

here is some info about your modem (good for up to 8Mbps downstream):

http://www.billion.com.au/product/adsl/bipac7000.php

I don't think it makes much sense to upgrade from 2.5 to 4 Mbps on True for the time being. wait until they get their own IP gateways up and running hopefully later this year.

and make sure your tel. line / exchange in your area can handle the speed!

opalhort

1. You dont need a new modem.

2. If you think the 2.5mb product is slow and is not achieving the anywhere 2.5mb on speed tests or downloads. I would put 20 baht on that the 4mb aint going to get anywhere near 4mb.

If it were me I wouldnt upgrade - As I have recommended before I would try multiple thread downloading first. That is the only way I can get the correct download speeds on any Thai Broadband.

Oh I checked my speed with speedtest.net:

Date Time Download Upload Destination

8/28/2006 1:33 PM GMT 85 kb/s 335 kb/s 317 ms New York, NY

8/28/2006 1:31 PM GMT 140 kb/s 134 kb/s 625 ms Melbourne

8/28/2006 1:30 PM GMT 387 kb/s 265 kb/s 73 ms Singapore

Pretty woeful for what is supposed to be a 2.5mb service... but no surprise really.

you ran the speed tests at peak time (BKK time) and the results are 'normal' by True standard for any kind of subscription. I get similar results on a 1Mbps subscription!

Don't upgrade for now!

opalhort

Thanks for your advice opalhort and everyone.

Now they tell me that I would need to cancel my 2.5mb service and reapply for the 4mb service.

Given that it took 3 months for True to get my service ready last time and probably the 4mb service won't be must better. I will just wait for the time being.

True is an amazingly crap company. I doubt they would survive in any developed country.

Thanks for your advice opalhort and everyone.

Now they tell me that I would need to cancel my 2.5mb service and reapply for the 4mb service.

Given that it took 3 months for True to get my service ready last time and probably the 4mb service won't be must better. I will just wait for the time being.

True is an amazingly crap company. I doubt they would survive in any developed country.

better you save your money and downgrade to 512/256

international speed is almost the same that your actual package :o

It is possible that everybody here has it right, with that said; it is possible that for higher transfer speeds another True modem is needed.

True is no stranger of supplying router/modem with custom made firmware, sure all commercial not bought from True Billion routers will do speeds up-to ADSL2+ of 24mb/s.

But everybody who bought his Billion (or other brand name) router/modem knows if they compare the options in the manual available on the Billion website not really compares to the options the True versions of the firmware offers.

It is even possible that True has completely blocked the customer from the possibility to change the settings for some of ADSL-router/modem they supply.

The 5102 series from Billion with Wi-Fi or without Wi-Fi, not bought from a True outlet is capable to offer speeds up-to 8mb with True ADSL. True uses no of the standard modulation for there ADSL signal.

And the custom firmware in the modified routers/modems they supply seems only to limit the use for multiple clients. If this also limits the Annex A/B channels or overall transfer rate is not known to me. I connected to 4mb True ADSL with a modified (firmware update) True Billion 5102S router/modem without problems.

It is possible that everybody here has it right, with that said; it is possible that for higher transfer speeds another True modem is needed.

True is no stranger of supplying router/modem with custom made firmware, sure all commercial not bought from True Billion routers will do speeds up-to ADSL2+ of 24mb/s.

But everybody who bought his Billion (or other brand name) router/modem knows if they compare the options in the manual available on the Billion website not really compares to the options the True versions of the firmware offers.

It is even possible that True has completely blocked the customer from the possibility to change the settings for some of ADSL-router/modem they supply.

The 5102 series from Billion with Wi-Fi or without Wi-Fi, not bought from a True outlet is capable to offer speeds up-to 8mb with True ADSL. True uses no of the standard modulation for there ADSL signal.

And the custom firmware in the modified routers/modems they supply seems only to limit the use for multiple clients. If this also limits the Annex A/B channels or overall transfer rate is not known to me. I connected to 4mb True ADSL with a modified (firmware update) True Billion 5102S router/modem without problems.

Correct!

TRUE does modify the firmware to block/limit some features of the modems/routers they sell!

I don't know about the speed matter but they reduce the number of possible PCs (IP addresses) to be connected.

The Billion 5102 can handle up to 100 IPs but our router was set to only 32 IPs and on top of that only two PCs on a LAN cable connection were possible!

We took the router to the company which imports them and they set things straight. Now our four LAN cable ports are OK and we have up to 100 IP addresses available (via Wi-Fi) if need be.

opalhort

TRUE does modify the firmware to block/limit some features of the modems/routers they sell!

With any component like a router it is always a good idea to downlaod the latest

firmware of the company's web site. :o