3BB Fiber Optic Problems

sup3r1or

Hi everyone.

Few months back I stayed in a village here up north they had lots of houses and 3BB fiber optic connection. It worked superb out of 30 mbps it always was above 27. So when I finally moved to a town house on the main road I decided to apply for 1200 bht fiber optic connection. I'm just incredibly mad. Since engineers left I have had speed tests 2-3 mb within Thailand and 1.46 with any non Thai service. Absolutely horrible, I called them up engineers came over while I was at worked and my wife was dealing with some business at home. They said they fixed it I came back home, all they did is connect LAN cable instead of wireless and even then I get a max of 15 MBPS. This is not a solution, why the hell there needs to be a wireless router if you are not suppose to use it according to them. I cant connect all my devices via LAN cable.

Horrible, been calling them last 3 days with no luck. I dont want to pay for such slow speed. I used to get more on DSL line from them.

It might help if you said what speed you have 1,200 bht is not a download speed

Go into device manager on your pc, under network adapters have a look at your wireless card

802.11b or g and you have a poor wireless card, if you have an "n" class card then you are capable of higher speeds

You may also have other issues with your pc, update your service pack, update your browser versions, run a virus guard.

Turn off your router (unplug) with all devices disconnected, plug it back in, wait until DS/US lights are solid before reconnecting.

Keep your router away from metal/glass and other electrical devices

Place it up high away from walls.

If you have an android smart phone, go to the app store and download a wi fi analyzer, this will show your wi fi signal and other wi fi signals that may be interfering with yours

Operational microwaves, baby monitors and CCTV cameras will destroy your wi fi

You also may just have terrible cabling

It might help if you said what speed you have 1,200 bht is not a download speed

Indeed it isn't. It sounds like a price per month.

For the OP: forget about wireless. It will never provide the bandwidth you want if you have several devices connected.

As for the 15mbs via LAN from a fibre connection: get 3BB out again if they say that you should be getting more for your 1200B.

One would think a new Fiber Optic line correctly installed and provisioned, and you directly connected via Ethernet to the FiberOptic router, would give consistent speed-test results with the ISPs "in-house" speed test (the one linked on their support website).

If the speed results against an Network Center hosted server using an Ethernet connection aren't consistent then you need to complain. Again and Again if needed. Fiber Optic should provide rock solid consistent results.

WiFi on the other hand is your issue.

That's not the service the ISP is providing you, even if they provided the WiFi Access Point. Many of us have ditched the device our ISP installed and purchased/installed something more reliable or suited to our needs. As I_Like_Thai details, there are many elements to review and consider when using an Air Interface.

As others have said wireless sucks and the router given by 3bb is not great (i put it in bridge mode and replaced it) But even with a high end router (think 10k bt) wireless is still less as cable. This is a normal thing.

I get 30in and if using newgroups.. internationally because you bundle a lot of connections.

As others have said wireless sucks and the router given by 3bb is not great (i put it in bridge mode and replaced it) But even with a high end router (think 10k bt) wireless is still less as cable. This is a normal thing.

I get 30in and if using newgroups.. internationally because you bundle a lot of connections.

Not the greatest is a understatement! Next time dont let them leave until you get 30 via LAN. Mine works really good.

Lol, welcome to 3BB mate. I have had connection problems for the last 3 years. They send a guy out who spends an hour pissing around in my wall socket ( even though i tell them that the problem isn't there). Eventually, they shinny up the pole at the end of the road and fix it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for 2 days, then we start all over again.

Hey guys, he didn't say he applied for 1200 bht speed, he said and I quote **I decided to apply for 1200 bht fiber optic connection** which is 30 Mbit download/3 Mbit upload.

To answer OP, I have the same subscription and in the beginning, they came to my house/office to fix both speed and unstable uplink, took me 3 weeks and multiple phone calls, but in the end, they solved it.

Just be patient and you probably will get the acquired speed, but also be firm, not angry and don't give in. It seems like the technicians don't really knows what they are doing.biggrin.png

ToT is no better! The max they offer in my area is 7mpb/s and that is not even stable. The PPP server used to go down several times per day and be off all weekends because there was nobody actually at work to restart it. It has been like that for 3 years and no amount of calling seemed to do anything ! It has been better in the last month or so. I guess there is hope ! Where are you all at ? Is this fiber service only available in city centers ? I'm out in the boonies one hour east of KhonKaen, so I was impressed that internet was available at slll. Still, I will call 3BB and hope ! 30mpb/s sounds like a dream lol

Yes speed is 30 down 3 up.

About wireless, yes I know lan is better but it is impossible to connect everything through lan. Why not use wifi? Used true before had no issues with wifi speeds. Cant believe router is incapable to give out more than 3mbps on wifi. I use standalone USB 3.0 wireless adaptor Wireless N.

They came today, tested and were surised how bad it was. Changed cable plus and changed my router. Called office sorted 30mbps down now in Thailand. However speed test to uk gives only 2.46 <deleted>?

Not the greatest is a understatement! Next time dont let them leave until you get 30 via LAN. Mine works really good.

I replaced it with a professional one for my needs.. its 10 times faster and more stable with many other advantages. Its all about what your willing to spend on something.

I have 3BB in Chiang Mai nearly 2 months. Using WiFi and testing speed through Ookla app on iPhone or iPad to AIS server in Bangkok consistantly over 30mb down and 3 up. if within 6 metres. Tried on my Mac upstairs and got much less. Moved wifi down stairs to directly under Mac upstairs now getting same results.

Very happy so far.

BTW does anyone know how tight a bend you can make in the optic fibre cable? After moving I need to clip it to skirting board and go around some beams.

Edited by Dazinoz

Ridiculous to think that wifi speed should be worst than LAN.

Not at all, WIFI depends on many things LAN connection don't, the speed and reliability for the WIFI router, the WIFI standard used, the client side WIFI standard used, the quality between WIFI router and client, the amount of nearby routers communicating on the same channels.

LAN is still the fastest and most reliable way to connect to a router without interference or hacker attempts.

[...]

BTW does anyone know how tight a bend you can make in the optic fibre cable? After moving I need to clip it to skirting board and go around some beams.

Per the Internet:

"If no minimum bend radius is specified, one is usually safe in assuming a minimum long-term low-stress radius not less than 15 times the cable diameter. Beside mechanical destruction, another reason why one should avoid excessive bending of fiber-optic cables is to minimize microbending and macrobending losses."

350px-Bendradius.svg.png

Ridiculous to think that wifi speed should be worst than LAN.

Unless it is unsecured and a few neighbours are saving money. :D

Always a possibility his computer is a little too far from the router, or there is another wireless signal on the same channel close by.

Thank for that.

[...]

Per the Internet:

"If no minimum bend radius is specified, one is usually safe in assuming a minimum long-term low-stress radius not less than 15 times the cable diameter. Beside mechanical destruction, another reason why one should avoid excessive bending of fiber-optic cables is to minimize microbending and macrobending losses."

350px-Bendradius.svg.png

With the AC1900 Wifi standard giving decent speeds and throughput, I think it will be a while before my Internet bandwidth catches up with it (at least at the prices available to me in the sandpit).

I'm waiting for them to connect me to fibre with a 50Mb connection for $130 a month.

Edited by Chicog

I replaced it with a professional one for my needs.. its 10 times faster and more stable with many other advantages. Its all about what your willing to spend on something.

Hi, which wifi router would you recommend? I have just switched to a fttx 3BB 30mbps connection in my house in Phuket. Just been connected and so far seems ok but i heard that the wifi router they provided might be an issue. Trying to get a good internet solution by paying 1,200b / month for 30mbps, i would not mind to spend addionnal money in very good system to get a better wifi solution...

Here's my speed from Phuket to BKK

post-201877-0-33369400-1426430435_thumb.

and Phuket to Seatle, USA

post-201877-0-54973700-1426430472_thumb.

and Phuket to Hamburg, Germany

post-201877-0-72160600-1426430509_thumb.

When it comes to WIFI I use Nano Station M2, it gives a strong signal and has a lot more features than normal WIFI router/AP's.

A bit on the costly side, but invaluable if you need a stable and fast WIFI.

Thanks. Interesting. I will have a close look on internet. Is it available in Phuket or Thailand?

If you mean Nano Station, yes in Phuket, there's a computer shop just after Chalong circle going towards Phuket Town that has a few models of them, they aren't easy to setup though.

It's on the right side of Chao Fah east about 200-300m after the circle, (NOT on the Villa Market Chao Fah, the other one), Light Blue signs.

Good luck but before you buy, read up on them before, there's ton of reading materials out there on Nano stations.

The store can probably order the model that suits your needs the best.

Almost forgot, I still use the 3BB fiber router, but I have turned off the WIFI on it and only use my Nano Station M2 for WIFI.

Most probably you won't get faster Internet, but more reliable and and cover longer distances from the M2 and also have faster LAN between computers in my office and home.

Also, penetrates obstacles, like walls, ceiling etc. A LOT better than any non pro router.

Edited by KamalaRider

So today engineers came over and sodded off in 5 mins saying they have done all they can. Can't guarantee anything for international speeds. I get 3.75 to london. What does they policy says about international speeds? Can i cancel? I used to have true 15 megs and got 12-13 always.

My current international ping is over 350ms

Thanks. Interesting. I will have a close look on internet. Is it available in Phuket or Thailand?

If you mean Nano Station, yes in Phuket, there's a computer shop just after Chalong circle going towards Phuket Town that has a few models of them, they aren't easy to setup though.

It's on the right side of Chao Fah east about 200-300m after the circle, (NOT on the Villa Market Chao Fah, the other one), Light Blue signs.

Good luck but before you buy, read up on them before, there's ton of reading materials out there on Nano stations.

The store can probably order the model that suits your needs the best.

Almost forgot, I still use the 3BB fiber router, but I have turned off the WIFI on it and only use my Nano Station M2 for WIFI.

Most probably you won't get faster Internet, but more reliable and and cover longer distances from the M2 and also have faster LAN between computers in my office and home.

Also, penetrates obstacles, like walls, ceiling etc. A LOT better than any non pro router.

Thanks a lot for all the informations. Yes, I will study and get advises from from the store according to my needs. But your informations give me a good start to investigate and find a solution that suit me.

So today engineers came over and sodded off in 5 mins saying they have done all they can. Can't guarantee anything for international speeds. I get 3.75 to london. What does they policy says about international speeds? Can i cancel? I used to have true 15 megs and got 12-13 always.

My current international ping is over 350ms

International speed is never guaranteed.

For all that want to know my router is the asus RT-AC68U (that needs to be bridged as its not fiber optic router)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having problems for about a week, very slow speeds but at times it works good. Called them today and they asked me if I was downloading or uploading anything, because their test shows both download and upload was almost at the full 30/3 speeds.

According to them I was using more bandwidth than a most Internet cafes, which really surprised me. They are going to send a tech out to see what the problem is.