Thai baht exchange in Bali Indonesia

thecyclist

I am residing in Thailand heading over to Bali for a vacation .As my assets are in Thai Baht I was wondering whether it would be ok to change my Thai Baht in Indonesia or better to purchase US$ before departing Thailand. When I travel to Cambodia the exchange for Baht is so good that you would lose on the double transaction of :Baht to $ to Riel. In the Philippines on the other hand the rate for Baht is so bad that it is always more advantageous to get dollars beforehand. How is that in Indonesia?

my view, if you have USD already, change USD as rate is very favourable. If you have THB suggest to bring and change THB, this currency is also high and usually the double conversion is resulting in a loss.

I travel to Indonesia frequently and just use my Bangkok Bank ATM card there. I seem to get as good a rate as possible. I can't imagine that converting THB to USD then USD to IDR would not be expensive for the double conversion.

I live in bali (and thailand) for equal periods. You are much better off buying us dollars in thailand and changing them here in bali. The exchange rate on the thai baht is very poor at the money changers here.

And change a minimal amount at the airport booths, wait until you are in kuta or sanur for much better rates.

Use a money changer to get USD in Thailand. Change your USD into IDR in Indonesia. This all depends on how much cash you need to take and how much you are comfortable carrying.

Otherwise, take a debit card and accept the charges which usually add up to between 3 and 5 % after cash advance charges and the exchange rates have taken a bite out of your cash.

Some of the better money changers in Thailand will give great rates on THB to IDR as a third option.

Don't take THB.

Edited by Briggsy

I live in bali (and thailand) for equal periods. You are much better off buying us dollars in thailand and changing them here in bali. The exchange rate on the thai baht is very poor at the money changers here.

x

And change a minimal amount at the airport booths, wait until you are in kuta or sanur for much better rates.

This is true for every country ive visited.

Go to The Rich in BKK and exchange directly into IDR for your budgeted cash expenses. If you run short use your ATM card. The Rich gives you the best rates everytime. Remember your passport for FX transactions.

. SS , you are Right On, also don't change at BKK Airport, rates are Terrible, go to Rich or if going to Pattaya use TT on Soi Bukao, right Near 18 Coins and off Soi Diana, il check rate a Airport today and give u rate, Never Good, I've argued with people on TA on this subject and they said it's the same rate as Downtown, but proven wrong...

if you use any currency booths in bali, beware

a lady in kuta had what seemed an exceptional rate on her board. i went in to change and she counted out the 3 million in front of me

then, not sure how she did it, but when i got back to the room and recounted it, there was only 2 million

i went back to the office and got very angry with her, and she gave me back my dollars, and i gave her back her 2 million

must be a common trick with the offices that offer exceptionally high rates

Don't exchange at the airport many booths on the way through terrible rate, In Kuta manyi ordinary shops have boards outside with their rates on these are the best rates You get I believe,

That must have changed recently. I visit Bali frequently and my experience is that the rate offered is comparable to downtown Kuta

I advise to change only at PT Central Kuta (many shopfronts) or a place opposite the Indian restaurant almost at Bemo corner, PT Prima Dirgahayu (I think), best rates consistently, and no 'funny money'.

Don't change anywhere the rate is more than Rp20 higher than offered in the above places (to Thai Baht), regardless of whether their sign says 'no commission', because there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Edited by F4UCorsair

if you use any currency booths in bali, beware

a lady in kuta had what seemed an exceptional rate on her board. i went in to change and she counted out the 3 million in front of me

then, not sure how she did it, but when i got back to the room and recounted it, there was only 2 million

i went back to the office and got very angry with her, and she gave me back my dollars, and i gave her back her 2 million

must be a common trick with the offices that offer exceptionally high rates

It is common, magicians' hands, and that's why I suggest the above places ONLY.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...