Can anyone recommend an Island or resort in the Philippins?

ChaangNoi

Can anyone recommend an Island or resort in the Philippines?

I'm looking for a semi quite but touristic place on a nice beach. Want to get away and relax some place new. $100 a night or so would be fine and the airfare from Manila has to be reasonable. I will be in Manila on business anyway so thought I might like to visit a place I have never been to before.

Something like a Phuket or Koh Chang in Thailand.

Also any tips on Philippines or Manila welcome!

Thank you.

Philippines. The Number 1 island for tourists is Boracay. It's cheap, has nightlife, world class beaches and boat trips. Easy to access. Stay away from the middle of the island if you want to relax.

Number 2 is Bohol or more specifically Panglao island next to Bohol. Much much less foot traffic but still plenty of places to eat and a nice beach and a couple of nice boat rides. But for nightlife, not anything like as good as boracay. Fly into Cebu City and take the fast boat or fly direct to Tagbilaran - quicker.

• Like 1

If you wanted total chill out, take a bus or taxi from Cebu city up to the north end of the island then take the ferry over to the very quiet island of Bantayan Island.

In exchange for my qualified advice (I've been to over 30 locations over 11 months all over the Philippines), will you tell me what other places in SE Asia you have visited?

• Like 2

If you wanted total chill out, take a bus or taxi from Cebu city up to the north end of the island then take the ferry over to the very quiet island of Bantayan Island.

In exchange for my qualified advice (I've been to over 30 locations over 11 months all over the Philippines), will you tell me what other places in SE Asia you have visited?

I second Bantayan. A very quiet, simple, island with just a few tourists and guesthouses (most of them extremely basic).

But lovely and unspoilt. One of the very few places on this planet where I actually venture into the sea. It is at clear as it gets, very shallow (walk 100 Meters into the sea easily) no waves, currents.

No nightlife whatsoever. At 9 pm in Santa Fe, the main tourist village, everything is pitch-black as there are no street lights, and only a few Restaurants and Pubs are still open.

If you want at least a little more creature comfort and entertainment, I would suggest BOHOL / Panglao island.

Boracay: it is a tiny island and only exists for the purpose of tourism. It can be fun, and the Pinoys are known very well not to say no to any Party that comes along, but it's not exactly cheap and good luck finding a place to sleep that is not affected by noise from the countless Bars and Karaoke joints. Philiipine accomodation in general is miserable value for money, no matter if Manila or the provinces or the islands. prices high, standards low. As the Peso is stuck to the US$, it is even more expensive nowadays.

• Like 1

Looks really awesome but $1000 a night is a bit more than I want to pay sadly. I'm cheep smile.png

check www.wowbantayan.com for all Info on Bantayan. Can have a AC-room for 500 Baht there if you want (Bantayan Cottages, very acceptable, stayed there myself few years back) and don't forget to click their updates link (which is news on their twitter account usually).

And yes, the beaches in fact ARE as fantastic as they look in those pictures

• Like 1

I actually found Boracay to be cheaper than Manila & Cebu and had no problem with noise from bars despite staying meters away from the beach at Station 1 (stayed here http://www.agoda.com/the-sun-villa-resort-and-spa-beachfront/hotel/boracay-island-ph.html, was around £60/$90 US per night).

Samal Island (Davao) is nice but no nightlife outside of the resorts & pretty basic accommodation will set you back at least 2-2,500PHP per night, Palawan is next on my list (grateful for any tips on where to stay), though Phatbeets pics of Bantayan & Siquijor are making me rethink that [emoji106])

Edit: If you do go to Boracay, try to get a flight into Caticlan as its a 2 hour transfer from Kalibo (recommend http://www.southwesttoursboracay.com/ for transfers)

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It highly depends on your preferred location. There are awesome beaches everywhere, but if you want somewhere closer to Manila, try checking out the beaches in Subic, Bataan or Batangas. The water in Laiya is incredibly clean, love the fine, off-white sands and you get to have the convenience of hotel-ish resorts. Have stayed in a beachfront villa at Sabangan and the experience was really satisfying.