What kind of snake is this?

Blackfish64

I identified the snake as a Golden Tree Snake, too. I don't know much about snakes in Thailand, but this one I figured from pictures I had seen on the Internet. I tried not to bother him, but after a while he got paranoid and dropped the bird and took off.

• Like 1

I will only beat something to death if it is trying to bite me to death.

My understanding is these Golden Tree snakes are rear-ended and venomous, though the venom us not dangerous to humans.

I see these guys around here all the time in the trees. Never saw one glide however. Would like to see that.

There are a lot of snakes around here, but probably not as many as there could be. In this rural area, many snakes, and especially cobra, are killed and eaten.

I've eaten rattlesnake before, but never cobra. Rattlesnake tastes like chicken.

I will only beat something to death if it is trying to bite me to death.

My understanding is these Golden Tree snakes are rear-ended and venomous, though the venom us not dangerous to humans.

I see these guys around here all the time in the trees. Never saw one glide however. Would like to see that.

There are a lot of snakes around here, but probably not as many as there could be. In this rural area, many snakes, and especially cobra, are killed and eaten.

I've eaten rattlesnake before, but never cobra. Rattlesnake tastes like chicken.

Its a beautiful snake, I saw a bizarre snake once it was luminous pink, i think they call them rainbow snakes or something......it was most odd and the view was fleeting as it shot across the road, I get a fair few malay pit vipers here ,this one is dangerous because it does not run away like most other snakes, it just sits there until you tread on it then bites

Rake the leaves away from where you walk and you will not have malay viper problems, they hide in the leaf litter... goldens tree snakes are amusing to watch their single minded antics while stalking their prey.

• Like 1

I identified the snake as a Golden Tree Snake, too. I don't know much about snakes in Thailand, but this one I figured from pictures I had seen on the Internet. I tried not to bother him, but after a while he got paranoid and dropped the bird and took off.

well at least you didnt beat it to death then proclaim it would kill your children

some of us arnt experts like you on snakes,

so i for one would sooner kill a snake i didnt know anything about, sooner then let it get near my children,

do you have children by the way,?

• Like 2

I read that on the Internet. Good advice. The workers around here rake incessantly. Not to keep the snakes away, of course, but perhaps that is a boon given the number of people coming and going around here. We keep the leaves and brush out back and let it rot.

I will keep my eyes peeled for Green Tree Snake antics.

It seems I am the only expert on these Thai Snakes . Its the OBBA BUBBA snake. Very sneaky snake I might add. It just dangles and plays dead sometimes for days or weeks and when the unsuspecting Farang thinks its safe It strikes with deadly accuracy . Squeezes the living daylights out of you and digs into your pockets because it likes dark places

Much like bar girls do Same pattern same M O . The only difference is it does not take your money

well at least you didnt beat it to death then proclaim it would kill your children

some of us arnt experts like you on snakes,

so i for one would sooner kill a snake i didnt know anything about, sooner then let it get near my children,

do you have children by the way,?

nah they all died from snakebite, you need to read up a bit on snakes then in my opinion.

• Like 1

Rake the leaves away from where you walk and you will not have malay viper problems, they hide in the leaf litter... goldens tree snakes are amusing to watch their single minded antics while stalking their prey.

There is no leaf litter on my land they just lie anywhere they like, last one down at the pond middle of the concrete road.......generally out more at night but have had four in the last 3 years.

I have found contrary to whats written they have not been at all aggressive in anyway and I usually just move them over the road with a stick..............................impaled thru their heads..............just kiddin

Golden tree snake. Had one last week in the hanging orchids outside our house in Bangkok. My wife said it was poisonous, but I understand not normally life threatening. Wife moved the snake to the trees opposite.

Edited by Estrada

I discovered a family of 5 green tree snakes just outside my window yesterday. <deleted>! They were living in the inside of open ended metal trusses supporting a lean-to. Once they have gone,I will seal up the open ends.

Eventually, what appeared to be the Mother, and 1 of the offspring -same length but slimmer -climbed up the coconut tree, with the baby clinging to it's mothers back. A beautiful caring scene. Made me think differently about snakes, having encountered literally hundreds in my time in Thailand.

As of this morning just 1 appears to remain

• Like 1

I haven't seen Malayan Pit Viper except on the Internet. But I am sure they are around. You might end up dead if you play with one: Fatal bite and quick (Malayan Pit Viper "Female"):

We spotted one at the bottom of the steps leading up to our Thai house - it is not around any longer!!

I read that on the Internet. Good advice. The workers around here rake incessantly. Not to keep the snakes away, of course, but perhaps that is a boon given the number of people coming and going around here. We keep the leaves and brush out back and let it rot.

I will keep my eyes peeled for Green Tree Snake antics.

Thanks for Not Burning...like these Thai Numbskulls

Cobra tastes like a cross between cat & hedgehog.

I don't have anything for snake bite. Please point me in the direction of good information on knowledge and materials pertaining to venomous snake bite. Thank you.

Stay calm try and remember the snake get a photo or kill it if you have to and take it with you, this is the only time id kill one, get to a hospital fast for antivenin, above all dont panic, keep immobile if you can get someone to take you, theres probably more but think i read compression is not the way to go now???? anyone confirm?

Ok seems I was correct about compression bandages

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Bites-snake/pages/treatment.aspx

Edited by kannot