Bread making machine

johnmcedinghburg

I make my own bread using a cheap food mixer for the kneading (about 5-6 minutes) and a combo convection/microwave oven for the baking (set to convection only). It works perfectly, takes about 3-4 hours from start to finish (though the longer you leave it the better) and requires almost no effort. I use a silicone mould or silicone sheet in the oven.

You can use that cheap local flour but I prefer to buy imported Waitrose strong bread flour at Tops. It costs between 120-170B for 1.5kgs, depending on whether you want organic and/or wholemeal and/or just plain white, which is about 3-5 times the cost of local white flour, but it's well worth it. Local cheap flour has no guts to it at all and makes the world's most boring bread.

I use 10g of Fermipan yeast (100B for 500g at Makro), 500g of flour, 7g salt, 330g water, 20g lime juice (for the ascorbic acid) and couple of teaspoons of brown sugar. Works every time and is a huge saving on bought baker's bread (though no saving on factory 7/11 bread). I bought a cheap digital kitchen scale from Amazon on my last trip to the UK for about 200B in order to get the measurements right.

top 4 thing you buy and use once

4. Ice cream maker

3. Exercise equipment

2. Toasted Sandwich Maker

1. Bread Machine

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Back in the day I had a one quart hand-cranked ice cream maker. I used it at least once a week during the summer months. Had it for years, and made a lot of good, fresh ice cream.

I also had a bread machine for years, and used it often before moving the Thailand. After a few years, I bought one here for 1,000 baht from a fellow leaving for home. He threw in about 50 pkgs of yeast. I use it at least once or twice a month.

I never bought exercise equipment. I figure I get enough exercise just pushing my luck. And I never cared for toasted sandwiches so I never bought one of those. But I wish I still had that ice cream maker. One quart was just the right amount for me and mine. And I'll certainly continue to use the bread machine. A delightful way to get freshly made bread!

How much do you estimate it costs to make a loaf? Say a bog standard white loaf. Not bothered about the electric costs just the ingredients. Rough cost is OK. I wouldn't mind a bread making machine but it might be better to let Yamazaki do the baking.

Buy a bag of flour.

Buy some yeast,

Buy some sugar.

divide each of the amounts to make 1 loaf from the cost of each.

should take a 12 y.o. 3 minutes.

I like the Japanese bakery at Chiang Mai gate, the UN Irish bar is not too bad, as is some of the bread from Kaseem. The reason I started making my own is that the bread here (apart from the 3 mentioned) is too sweet. You have to have sugar to make bread, but only enough for the yeast to fatten itself up on, you shouldn't be able to taste it. If it's not convenient to go to one of the good places, I make it myself. My mother-in-law gave me a bread making machine last year that she'd used once and put in a cupboard. I knew I wouldn't use it for baking, but thought it would take away the hard work of kneading so I lugged it back from England; used it once and discovered no knead breadmaking, so I only use it if I forget to set the mix on ferment the day before I use it.

No need for any sugar, modern yeast doesn't need it.

Fermiplan Red specifically designed for use with no sugar.

(the blurb says limited sugar, but in reality none at all works perfectly well)

Most of the yeast manufacturers produce their yeasts in two versions, with sugar, without limited sugar.

One yeast is for Savory...other is for Pastry

i can make a plain loaf of bread in my bread machine for 15-16 baht (not counting the cost of the machine & electricity). however i only use it for the kneading/proofing/rises--it has way more patience than i do. i finish final shaping/kneading myself & then into the oven. i only ever use the full knead/bake cycle for bread that no one will ever see (like stuffing,etc.), the severin model i have (also verasu) leaves an ugly anus in the bread loaf. i also use it for pizza, rolls, & baguettes.

Remove the paddle just before the baking starts. On my machine that is 1 hour 50 minutes to the end or if you prefer 1 hour 35 minutes after kick off! I've been baking bread sine the 90's when my local baker shut up shop in England. My breadmaker cost £25 in Asda and I replaced it a few years ago with the same model, on eBay. Put it in my suitcase to get it back here.

There are 7 ingredients in my bread, water, bread flour, butter, salt, sugar, milk powder and yeast. Cost is about <60 baht for a 2 lb loaf and baking time 3 hrs 25 mins. There are numerous programmes including for making jam that I've never tried.

Surprising how many people on TVF bake bread. How about a survey?

Edited by Anon999
  • Like 2

top 4 thing you buy and use once

4. Ice cream maker

3. Exercise equipment

2. Toasted Sandwich Maker

1. Bread Machine

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Back in the day I had a one quart hand-cranked ice cream maker. I used it at least once a week during the summer months. Had it for years, and made a lot of good, fresh ice cream.

I also had a bread machine for years, and used it often before moving the Thailand. After a few years, I bought one here for 1,000 baht from a fellow leaving for home. He threw in about 50 pkgs of yeast. I use it at least once or twice a month.

I never bought exercise equipment. I figure I get enough exercise just pushing my luck. And I never cared for toasted sandwiches so I never bought one of those. But I wish I still had that ice cream maker. One quart was just the right amount for me and mine. And I'll certainly continue to use the bread machine. A delightful way to get freshly made bread!

Still have my Kenwood toasted sandwich maker that was bought maybe 20-30 years ago or more. My wife likes toasted sandwiches too so it gets used quite often. Think I'll have one tomorrow! Also have a bread maker but as we go to the gym weekdays an exercise machine it not needed.

When i lived in Thailand i baked my own bread too! ( you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty viewers... )

It costs about 30 baht to make a loaf of bread.Many of my friends seem to think its easier to buy a loaf of bread from the shop and save all the " buggering about ".But there is nothing better than fresh warm home baked bread! Delicious viewers! and you don't even need a Bread making machine ( although much simpler ! ) You can even make bread in a Rice Cooker !!!

The Secret is in " the kneading " viewers.....

Farang Jaidee - " Your friendly baker " wai2.gif x

I have the same machine as johnmc - bought it from Verasu almost 2 years ago. I buy most of my ingredients from BakerMart on Lamphun Rd.

It makes excellent bread. I always remove the paddles after kneeding is complete.

I never use sugar, we prefer the taste that honey gives to bread.

Favourite flours are wholewheat, rye and oat.

When i lived in Thailand i baked my own bread too! ( you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty viewers... )

It costs about 30 baht to make a loaf of bread.Many of my friends seem to think its easier to buy a loaf of bread from the shop and save all the " buggering about ".But there is nothing better than fresh warm home baked bread! Delicious viewers! and you don't even need a Bread making machine ( although much simpler ! ) You can even make bread in a Rice Cooker !!!

The Secret is in " the kneading " viewers.....

Farang Jaidee - " Your friendly baker " wai2.gif x

No kneading if you use a wet dough.

Stir with a spatula until mixed, leave to rise, scrape into the bread tin, leave to rise, bake.

Still have my Kenwood toasted sandwich maker that was bought maybe 20-30 years ago or more. My wife likes toasted sandwiches too so it gets used quite often. Think I'll have one tomorrow! Also have a bread maker but as we go to the gym weekdays an exercise machine it not needed.

We have a 20-odd year old Tower toastie maker that we bought whilst on a holiday in England and lugged back to Australia. It's one of the few possessions we didn't dispose of when we sold up - it sat in the back of the ute for a couple of years until I brought it over here and it gets used pretty much weekly.

Tinned corned beef (English style not US) and onions and cheese and onions are the only ones either of us make. They are really yum.

I have an electronic breadmaker from the U.S. that I brought with me when I first moved here... I used it a lot in the U.S., and some when I first moved here.

But over time here, I found I needed/decided to spend my time cooking/preparing OTHER things that I couldn't so easily buy here or buy in the style and/or prices I prefer -- things like all-natural peanut butter, hummus, frijoles, and other things at home.

On the other hand, there's quite a selection of different bakery outlets available in BKK, usually at pretty reasonable prices, certainly enough to satisfy most of my bread cravings without having to break out the bread machine.

But in the old days, I did used to bake a pretty mean cheesey jalapeno bread and/or cheesey beer bread. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a bread machine since the 1980's. I don't make bread every week, and I limit how much bread I eat as I don't want to get fat. That said, I've found it to be easy and very healthy and satisfying to make any flavor bread I desire. I usually make a whole wheat honey with molasses and oregano. Perfect. For sweet, can't beat cinnamon raisin bread. Bought my first machine here at a second hand shop and had to replace the belt. Total cost was about 1,800 baht. Bought a second machine a few years later from an ex-pat for 1,000 baht.A very nice Panasonic. Still using it and it's great. The first machine needs another belt, which I have. Just too lazy to do it myself or take it to the shop to repair....

I have a breadmaker since 4 years and use it every other day.

Some years ago the heater died and since that day I use the machine only to make the dough.

Take the dough out after mixing, give it a nice shape by hand and add other stuff to the dough. Put it in the (non heated) oven and let it rise.

After 1-1.5 hour make the oven hot and after 40 minutes: voilà!

bread.jpg