Complicated Visa situation

Recently found out my Fillipino Girlfriend has been totally scammed (by another Fillipino) with regards to an education viss. To cut a long story short, it turns out she has now overstayed by 4 months. My concern is that we hope to go to the UK in July for one month. Although not happy to pay the overstay, I accept it but my biggest concern is her having the overstay stamp in her passport. What are our options? Go to Laos border and pay the overstay but what is the best option then? Bearing in mind we need the UK tourist visa by the beginning of JUly. I'm sure we won't be given the UK tourist Visa with an overstay stamp on passport. After visiting the UK, we will be going to Manila for my new job. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me

Probably the best approach is for her to return to PI and get a new passport there. I think that also the visa application could be easier from her home country, as she could demonstrate having more ties to there than to Thailand.

Thanks for the advice Paz! Yeh going to PI and getting passport and visa is my last option but one I'm hoping to avoid as funds would be tight to support her and my 9 month daugther in the Pines while waiting for everything.

Do you know if it is possible to apply for a Uk tourist visa with a temporary passport?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for that length of overstay you'd need to fly out of the country from one of the major airports.

Re the "Temporary" passport, it's actually an emergency travel document aimed at getting you back to your home country so you can get a new passport, so no chance of getting a UK Visa with one or using it to fly to the UK (unless you're from the UK :))

One thing to be careful of if you go down the new passport route is she may have a problem leaving the Philippines (my Filipina had to spend 20 minutes in the immigration office explaining that we'd been together for over 4 years & regularly travelled with me to stay in Singapore) I would imagine it would be even harder if there's a child involved so do make sure you have plenty of evidence to support your relationship (in our case she had a phone full of photos going back 4 years & was able to show immigration details of our previous trips together).

Do let us know how you get on, I'm planning on taking my Filipina on a trip to the UK later this year so would be very interested in hearing about your experiences in getting a Visa.

Edited by JB300

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought for that length of overstay you'd need to fly out of the country from one of the major airports.

No, can overstay can be cleared at any border post. Many people do that.

Re the "Temporary" passport, it's actually an emergency travel document aimed at getting you back to your home country so you can get a new passport, so no chance of getting a UK Visa with one or using it to fly to the UK (unless you're from the UK smile.png)

No, an ETD allows travel to any country that is listed, or not excluded of and that allows ETD as well.

Thanks Paz.... I seemed to recall people having to go to Swampy to clear their overstay when the changes to overstaying were being muted but could well have got it mixed up with something else.

2nd point, I was told that I could only use the ETD once by the British consulate in Singapore so assumed this was to fly back to the UK, but thinking about it, I'd explained that i had a full passport (no blank pages left) & couldn't wait 2 months for a new one as I travelled 1-2 times a month... She must have meant I could only use the ETD for one trip so wouldn't have been suitable for me.

She also mentioned that you're only allowed a finite (iirc it was 3) ETDs so I ended up going back to the UK & using the one day service in Liverpool.

Cheers

JB

Edit: Coincidentally there's another thread on ETDs... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/807947-Travelling-to-Malaysia-and-back-to-Thailand-with-an-Emergency-travel-doc%2E where the UK passport holder needs a pre-approved visa for Malaysia (usually get a 90 day exempt) & Thailand (usually get 30 days exempt) if traveling on an ETD.

Apologies to the OP for wandering off topic [emoji4]... Please do update us on how you get on

Edited by JB300

Thanks for feedback guys. What about applying for a UK tourist visa while on a tourist visa in Thailand? Is that possible? My girlfriend will applying to come to UK with myself and our 9 month old daughter (who is a Uk passport holder)

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for feedback guys. What about applying for a UK tourist visa while on a tourist visa in Thailand? Is that possible? My girlfriend will applying to come to UK with myself and our 9 month old daughter (who is a Uk passport holder)

I think you should read or ask on:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

Thanks

Dave

You should post your questions about the UK visa in the Visas and migration to other countries forum.